We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Books you may like to hear about  (Read 211569 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Books you may like to hear about
« Reply #510 on: January 12, 2014, 02:53:40 PM »
Oh Maggi you've obviously never run a nursery! What's the saying about pleasing all of the people some of the time...
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #511 on: January 12, 2014, 03:26:07 PM »
Twelve years of  selling from a Bulb List, Tim, though I'm not sure what the relevance is......
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Olive Mason

« Reply #512 on: January 13, 2014, 04:53:07 PM »
 I emailed Chris Grey-Wilson to reserve a copy of his book and received a very prompt reply reserving me a copy which will be posted at the end of the month.
Not only snowdrops

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #513 on: January 13, 2014, 04:58:02 PM »
Excellent news, Olive - so  at least we know he's about.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #514 on: January 13, 2014, 07:41:09 PM »
I emailed Chris Grey-Wilson to reserve a copy of his book and received a very prompt reply reserving me a copy which will be posted at the end of the month.
Me too!  Can't wait!
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Pauli

« Reply #515 on: January 17, 2014, 12:29:53 PM »
No response yet :'(

Did you order via this e-mail:  c.grey-wilson@talk21.com?
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #516 on: January 17, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »
Yes.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #517 on: January 19, 2014, 09:31:42 PM »
I can't resist mentioning this book because it is one of the most beautifully written and illustrated that I have come across: 'Plant Discoveries - A Botanist's Voyage Through Plant Exploration', by Sandra Knapp. It is a series of essays (but what essays!) on different groups and families of plants, but introducing classicism, prominent botanists and naturalists, the most up to date knowledge about the plant world, and exquisite botanical illustrations. There are many appealing asides which make the book very human, in a discipline that can become rather dry and dusty at times. Not surprisingly she mentions many eminent women in the botanical world, including in the chapter on 'Daisies and Sunflowers', Alice Eastwood, who studied botany for 94 years, and for whom the Californian endemic shrub Eastwoodia is named. A certain rivalry existed between her and Jepson (of Jepson Manual fame), who Sandra Knapp desribes as 'an irascible man, even to his friends'. Jepson left Eastwoodia out of his Manual. For those with a fascination with Rocky Mountain alpines, Alice Eastwood introduced Alfred Russel Wallace to Gray's Peak near Denver. All this from just one chapter of the book - a great read!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #518 on: January 27, 2014, 09:40:29 PM »

I received the book The Genus Tulipa: tulips of the world' by Diana Everett (Kew RBG) last week and have subsequently devoured the contents.

Chapter 1 presents an extremely succinct history of the appeal of the flower and its subsequent movement across Europe as well as discussing the previous classification of the genus.  In fact, it is so succinct that it is only two pages - for more detail see papers by van Raamsdonk and Zonneveld.

Chapter 2 is a highly personal account of the author's search for tulips in the wild. It covers just 18 pages and is simply written.

Chapter 3 by Richard Wilford, is an eight page distillation of the cultivation of tulips in the garden and under glass. He writes well and says what needs to said - more detail can be found in his 2006 work.

Chapter 4 by Fay and Christenhusz is a synopsis of their paper which is discussed in earlier Forum postings. I'm glad publication was held back to include their findings. Thankfully they have eschewed the notion of not going beyond subgenera into sections - it's complicated enough with tulips!

Chapter 5 constitutes the bulk of the book and contains the taxonomic treatment of each species (and all those tricky neo-tulips). An illustration and often a photograph (in habitat) accompanies each species. The descriptions are terse but sufficient for purposes and give details of distribution. The paintings are of variable quality - but who am I to judge when I can't even paint a living room wall properly!. I did think that some of the paintings lack the luminosity of the actual plants, but appreciate that this is terribly difficult to achieve. Having the bulb (in tunic), the tepals and stamens presented is, however, very helpful. 

There is an extensive bibliography (hurrah!).

The appendices contain an alphabetical checklist of species (with synonyms) and a summary of Zonneveld's 2009 work on sectional classification for those masochists who enjoy breaking subgenera down into minute units. Appendix 3 contains details of nurseries with a heavy emphasis on UK stockists (it includes an incorrect address for Miniature Bulbs which was purchased by Frankie Charlton of Choice Bulbs in early 2013 and moved to the north east of England but that aside they all seem to be there. It would have been good to have had more of the Baltic nurseries represented). Appendix 4 provides biographical notes (some of only one line) on prominent authors, collectors and growers.

How do I rate the monograph? Well, I do admire the dedication of Diane Everett in producing the work which I'm sure will prove to be an important reference for quite some time to come. We've been asking for it and I take my hat/cap off to her. I do wish some of paintings of white and yellow flowering species had more vivacity but, that aside, I do heartily recommend the book and thank the author for her trouble and time - it was worth it and much appreciated!
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #519 on: March 03, 2014, 10:27:35 PM »
My replies came quickly but now I've read this
http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/news/Pasque+Flowers+by+Christopher+GreyWilson/404/

and to save you looking ...

'Pasque Flowers' by Christopher Grey-Wilson

Cancellation
 As mentioned in an earlier announcement we have been experiencing a number of production problems in relation to this title.  The issues mainly relate to poor image quality and we have made several attempts to rectify these problems.  Unfortunately we have been unable to achieve the high standard of illustration and layout that is required in a book that was designed to be a very special publication.   Sadly this leaves us with no option but to cancel this planned publication.  A letter has been sent to all those who had ordered a copy of the book and refunds are currently being processed.

Our sincere apologies for the inconenience and genuine disappointment that we are unable to proceed with this publication.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #520 on: March 04, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »
Mark, you're way behind the times see Reply 504
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #521 on: March 04, 2014, 09:46:03 AM »
I am David but no mention of AGS stopping the book in reply 504. £36 could buy me some snowdrops
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #522 on: March 04, 2014, 10:33:35 AM »
I am David but no mention of AGS stopping the book in reply 504. £36 could buy me some snowdrops
Sorry you missed it Mark, but all this was discussed in the Pulsatilla thread.
It is hard to make links to every thread where something may be relevant - the place would grind to a halt.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #523 on: March 04, 2014, 10:38:52 PM »

Am I missing something here?  Isn't the relevant sentence
Christopher Grey Wilson has decided to self-publish his new title "Pasque Flowers"
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #524 on: March 05, 2014, 09:29:01 AM »
I thought that was clear enough Brian.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal