We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Books you may like to hear about  (Read 209957 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Books you may like to hear about
« Reply #360 on: August 03, 2011, 06:49:01 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #361 on: August 03, 2011, 08:23:49 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #362 on: August 04, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »
Old Flames: an illustrated history of the perfection of the English florists' tulips by James Akers and Celia Fisher

In her article Tulips from Wakefield (the Rock Garden 127) Teresa Clements provides a short explanation and history of English florists' tulips. Her article is illustrated with a few shots of some wondrous specimens.

Having read the article I recalled my copy of Akers and Fisher's book which provides a history of these special plants, their cultivation and how they have come to be defined and judged. The book is illustrated with some marvellous reproductions of prints and contemporary botanical paintings of English tulips and some truly arresting photgraphs - with 80 pages of delights which spring out to catch the eye.

The book was jointly published by the Yorkshire Sculpture Park Press and the WNETS in 2006, copies may be available direct from contact details at www.ysp.co.uk otherwise one is left to the economic vagaries of the second-hand market (where I've seen the book available for between £3 and £14!).

I really do recommend the book to all bulboholics and especially those with an affection for tulips.

Frazer

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:28:32 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Pascal B

« Reply #364 on: August 05, 2011, 12:57:05 PM »
Here is a slightly extended version of the outcome of the congres: http://www.pensoft.net/inc/journals/download.php?fileId=2585&fileTable=J_GALLEYS

Makes my earlier remark about the requirement of the Latin diagnosis outdated the moment I posted it as it can now be either in English or in Latin. And for my earlier remarks about the digital age, it seems they have skipped faster than I hoped for, new taxa can now be published exclusively in specific electronic journals and E-books! Great developement....

Quote:

After having rejected several similar proposals in several previous meetings, the
Section approved a proposal to allow the names of new taxa to be considered effectively
and validly published in specified types of electronic journals and books. Throughout
the history of botany, effective publication of names has been accomplished only by
hard-copy print materials. The new article in the Code, effective 1 January 2012, allows
names to be accepted when they appear either in electronically published journals
and books (e.g. Penev 2010) or in conventional printed material. As many universities
and research institutions in the developing world cannot afford to subscribe to large
numbers of journals, it is hoped that this will improve access for a greater number of
the world’s taxonomists.

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #365 on: August 07, 2011, 07:45:40 PM »
Old Flames: an illustrated history of the perfection of the English florists' tulips by James Akers and Celia Fisher

In her article Tulips from Wakefield (the Rock Garden 127) Teresa Clements provides a short explanation and history of English florists' tulips. Her article is illustrated with a few shots of some wondrous specimens.

Having read the article I recalled my copy of Akers and Fisher's book which provides a history of these special plants, their cultivation and how they have come to be defined and judged. The book is illustrated with some marvellous reproductions of prints and contemporary botanical paintings of English tulips and some truly arresting photgraphs - with 80 pages of delights which spring out to catch the eye.

The book was jointly published by the Yorkshire Sculpture Park Press and the WNETS in 2006, copies may be available direct from contact details at www.ysp.co.uk otherwise one is left to the economic vagaries of the second-hand market (where I've seen the book available for between £3 and £14!).

I really do recommend the book to all bulboholics and especially those with an affection for tulips.

Frazer

YSL does have books in stock, at a bargain £3!
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #366 on: August 12, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »
This just in about a new Hellebore Book......

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,
Dear Sir and Madam,

In einer sehr besonderen Edition erscheint zum September 2011 mein neues Buch:

HELLEBORUS
Eine Monografie

Aus dem Klappentext:
...ein Blick in lange vergangene Zeiten, bebildert mit seltenen botanischen Zeichnungen, Kupferstichen und Aquarellen aus Bibliotheken, Privatsammlungen und Museen ( Schiffner und weitere ) sowie Fotografien der Wildpflanzen und Hybriden
verschiedener deutscher und englischer Züchter.
... von Botanikern, Philosophen, Ärzten und Heilern, von Kräuterkundigen und Magiern, von Hippokrates über Dioskurides, Brunfels, Fuchs....... ausführlich die Pflanze begleitend durch ihre Jahrtausende alte Historie bis in die heutige Zeit. Gesammelte Legenden und zahlreiche Versuche der Menschen, die Pflanze für medizinische Zwecke zu nutzen....

Format: 28 x 21 cm, Festeinband/Schutzumschlag/Leseband,
184 Seiten, über 150 zumeist große Abbildungen, deutschsprachig, teils englisch übersetzt
Printed in Germany
59,00 € + Versand
ISBN 978-3-00-035275-1
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christine Becker
sie auch hier (Abb.): http://helleborus-hellebores.com/Export3.html

In a very special edition my new book will appear in September 2011:

HELLEBORUS
A monograph

From the dust jacket:
... a look to long past times, illustrated with rare botanical drawings, copperplates and watercolors from libraries, private collections and museums (Schiffner and others) as well as photographs of the wild plants and hybrids
...different German and English breeders.
... from botanists, philosophers, doctors and healers, from herbal-expert and magicians, from Hippokrates via Dioskurides, Brunfels, Fuchs....... in detail the plant accompanied by her millennium old history till today.  Accumulated legends and numerous attempts of the people to use the plant for medical purposes....

Format: 28 x 21 cm, Hardcover/Dust cover/bookmark,
184 sides, more than 150 mostly big pictures, German-speaking, partly translated in English
Printed in Germany

ISBN 978-3-00-035275-1
Kind Regards
Christine Becker

please have a look to this site:
 http://helleborus-hellebores.com/Export3.html
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:29:13 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #367 on: August 19, 2011, 06:10:09 PM »
I am pleased to say that I have just paid for my books (I ordered one for a friend) and eagerly await their arrival ;D ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #368 on: August 26, 2011, 03:23:52 PM »
Gunters book arrived this morning
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #369 on: August 29, 2011, 10:13:14 AM »
There are so many snowdrops in there that will keep white fever going for a long time. It would have been good to have English beneath the snowdrop descriptions

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #370 on: August 31, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »
A few more pictures Mark and no-one will need to buy it! ;D It looks nice and presumably, with such clear close-up portraits would be good for identification?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #371 on: August 31, 2011, 11:03:51 PM »
Many in the book I have never seen before and may never see. It will be good for iding the common ones

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #372 on: August 31, 2011, 11:56:56 PM »
It looks nice and presumably, with such clear close-up portraits would be good for identification?

Exactly, the second I saw the shot of Alanya I went straight to my photos and voila!  Seems my 'Lola' (lost label years ago) is now identified.  It is one very tall snowdrop. Comparing my deadlist with my spreadsheet I suspected it was Alanja which came from Germany, now correctly elwesii 'Alanya Yayla'.  No doubt someone will shoot this theory down, in fact the ovaries are not exactly the same....  Now if I could only figure out where 'Ailidh' got to.

Still awaiting the book.

johnw
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:04:33 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #373 on: September 01, 2011, 12:20:25 AM »
Haven't seen this book. Mark, is the text under the pics the only info on the named snowdrops? From what I can make out, the text isn't all that exhaustive. In fact, quite brief. I'd have thought a bit more info about leaves etc would be needed for positive id-ing, since a lot of named varieties look very similar as single flower close-ups.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

alpines

• Alan's the one with the beard
    • The Alpine Garden
« Reply #374 on: September 01, 2011, 08:38:31 PM »
Not a book per se, but I just received this e-magazine via e-mail and thought it may be of some interest to the forumists.
http://www.plantnovelties.com/featured_product
Alan & Sherba Grainger
in beautiful Berea, Kentucky, USA. Zone 6
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal