We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Books you may like to hear about  (Read 210950 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: Books you may like to hear about
« Reply #330 on: July 26, 2011, 10:35:28 PM »
What gets published in English is what will sell (& especially sell in the USA). I recall mention in the forum sometime ago of a book on crocus by Pasche & Kerndorff which could not find a publisher. I suspect that this was a scholarly monograph. I think I remarked then  that Mathew's The Crocus would be unlikely to find a publisher (even an academic publisher) today.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:38:09 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Pascal B

« Reply #331 on: July 26, 2011, 11:06:30 PM »
In the modern digital age one can question whether printed books should be the only way to publish, I think not. A lot of botanical journals are also available in PDF format (freely available or via a subscription/password) and as long as 2-3 printed specimen of that publication are deposited at a recognised botanical institute, any nomenclatural change described in that publication is accepted by the Botanical Code.

I am aware that many people like the feel and touch of a book and many authors see it as the ultimate culmination of their work and study, there is nevertheless much to say about publishing on the internet or electronically as E-book. Due to the cost of getting a book to print, it might be the alternative for those authors aiming at a niche market. Before print the copy is usually in electronic form already and the information is potentially available to a lot more people, in my view a much more democratic way of publishing. Certainly if the plants are central stage and not the ego of the author. Publications for a niche market generally will not make a profit for the author anyway so if the authors only goal is the share the information, why not publish digitally?
Desperately holding on the world as it is or looking to the future and make use of new technology and marketing ways. I think it is more a question of changing the mindset, similar to the music industry. Really wanting to have a CD in a box with a booklet or don't mind having a file on the harddrive....., that is the question.... ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:08:26 PM by Pascal B »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #332 on: July 26, 2011, 11:43:49 PM »
Pascal - I recall you posting to this effect previously (& in response to me!). Being ancient, I prefer the cd in its box & the book in the hand. But each to his own.

A further thought. It's now 10 years since I retired so I don't know how well electronic publications would be received in today's academic world. In the past it was important in the UK, both for the author & for the institution, that publications  appear in prestigious journals or via reputable publishing houses. Money (to the institution) & promotion (for the author) was at stake.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:56:39 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Pascal B

« Reply #333 on: July 27, 2011, 01:09:18 AM »
Gerry, times are changing. In some respects slowly, in others fast. Most recent publications I can get through PDF or similar and most journals can be downloaded through subscription at the same time the paper version is send to the libraries of botanical institutes. Taiwania even has the latest issue available free to download immediately! But generally 4-5 year old issues are often released free to download, it depends on the journal and the country, some countries are more conservative than others but the people behind the botanical code are realising times are changing and for effective publication only 2-3 printed versions deposited at a recognised institute accesible to botanists are needed. But even Kew Bulletin has a paid electronic version....(..).

Interesting link for this is http://www.e-journals.org/botany/

But I think we should make a distinction between books and journals. Journals are solely for sciencific purposes, books have a science aspect but other factors also come into play, the reasons to publish are different but most importantly: they have to have a prospect of making a profit in order to get published. And that is getting harder and harder with rising prices of raw materials and for a niche market even to break even would require books to have a hefty price many don't want to pay. That Janis succeeded to get it published deserves praise.

I do not think much money can be made on journals but the prestige thing is a different matter. Personally I don't care much about the ego of botanists or the prestige of an institute, for me plants are central and I judge them on what they have to say about the plants instead of who they are or what reputation they have so I am not the best to comment on that. Kew still thinks they are the foremost botanical institute but due to some very conservative decisions I think they have lost contact with reality and in my opinion have been passed a long time ago by Missouri as the worlds leading botanical institute.

But yes, for scientists the fact of the matter is they only "exist" if they publish and the more important the journal they publish in, the more likely they can get grants. But at the same time the demand for electronic versions will also decide on the fate of these journals as a result of how they anticipate on the changing world. Some reputable journals, if they don't respond well, might lose their influence and prestige. And reputable publishing houses might go bankrupt because they don't sell anymore. But that the "digital" demand exists and is growing is a fact, it is embedded in modern life and it makes no sense to deny it.

I can only guess where it is going to but I just want to note that we don't have to be stuck to books, if an author wants to share his/her work at all cost and can't find a publisher, this would be an alternative. Most that decided to publish themselves in printed form have lost money on it. Not publishing at all or publishing not how you ideally want it is the choice. It also depends on the motivation for wanting to publish a book. Sharing the knowledge for the benefit of the plants or.......you name it.....

Don't get me wrong, I do like books like those published by Timberpress or Natural History Publications but as much as I would like to have the first 2 volumes of the newly published Orchids of Mt. Kinabalu, I ain't gonna pay $255 for such a very specialized publication... But when I am doing my own private research I much prefer to have the PDF files, each has their benefit.

PS. But it is the same with the rather old-fashioned requirement that a valid publication of a new species or variety should be accompanied by a latin diagnosis. Some of them consist of only 3-4 words that don't make sense at all or say very little about the plant in question but "it is according to the code". Many botanists in the US and on the continent want to get rid of it and change it to a short description/summary in English but the most resistance for that change comes from the UK..... But I am afraid they will find out it is very hard to stay an island if the sea around you is rising, you can't stop progress.... ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:41:12 AM by Pascal B »

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #334 on: July 27, 2011, 10:51:44 AM »
Hi all

I can really suggest all growers of South African bulbs the new book from Graham Duncan !!!
The titel is "Grow Bulbs" ,it is from the Kirstenbosch series .
There are good cultural advices for all kind of bulbs ,corms ,tubers from South Africa :
treat as wintergrowers,summergrowers,evergreen and more
Please look here :
http://johngrimshawsgardendiary.blogspot.com/2010/11/grow-bulbs-by-graham-duncan.html

Hans 

"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #335 on: July 28, 2011, 10:27:02 AM »
Hi all

I can really suggest all growers of South African bulbs the new book from Graham Duncan !!!
There are good cultural advices for all kind of bulbs ,corms ,tubers from South Africa :
Please look here :
http://johngrimshawsgardendiary.blogspot.com/2010/11/grow-bulbs-by-graham-duncan.html

"Excellent book I believe. I posted the following in December 2010 but didn't get a reply. Surely someone in the UK will stock it but I haven't been able to find anyone and I draw the line at £17 for p/p from Silverhill

I haven't seen David Shaw around the Forum for ages but wondered if he is going to be stocking Graham Duncan's new, and much extended edition of "Growing Bulbs" published, I think, by Kirstenbosch. Silverhill Seeds have it at £18 plus £17 post and package to the UK. " 

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:29:52 AM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

angie

« Reply #336 on: July 28, 2011, 11:21:55 PM »
quote author=David Nicholson link=topic=248.msg209429#msg209429
quote author=Hans J link=topic=248.msg209324#msg209324 date=1311760304
Hi all

Please look here :

"Excellent book I believe. I posted the following in December 2010 but didn't get a reply. Surely someone in the UK will stock it but I haven't been able to find anyone and I draw the line at £17 for p/p from Silverhill

I haven't seen David Shaw around the Forum for ages but wondered if he is going to be stocking Graham Duncan's new, and much extended edition of "Growing Bulbs" published, I think, by Kirstenbosch. Silverhill Seeds have it at £18 plus £17 post and package to the UK. "

Brilliant book. Well worth having, text big enough to read if you can't find your glasses and the advice that is given is in a context that I can understand .

Angie :)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:28:19 PM by Maggi Young »
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #337 on: August 01, 2011, 06:27:37 PM »
I have been trying to find a UK distributor for the Kirstenboch publications but cannot find one. Therefore I cannot get hold of this book any more easily than you forumists and would have to charge the book price, the postage from South Africa plus my own postage charges out to you. As Amazon does not seem to stock this book I suggest that interested forumists go directly to Kirstenboch and pay the postage.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #338 on: August 01, 2011, 06:28:31 PM »
If it's any help I ordered mine from Rachel Saunders at Silverhill Seeds.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #339 on: August 01, 2011, 06:32:59 PM »
I have been trying to find a UK distributor for the Kirstenboch publications but cannot find one. Therefore I cannot get hold of this book any more easily than you forumists and would have to charge the book price, the postage from South Africa plus my own postage charges out to you. As Amazon does not seem to stock this book I suggest that interested forumists go directly to Kirstenboch and pay the postage.

Good on you for trying, though, David!  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #340 on: August 01, 2011, 07:10:16 PM »
Many thanks David.

Postage and packing from Silverhills is £17, just a pound less than the sale price of the book :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #341 on: August 01, 2011, 07:30:53 PM »
Couldnt Amazon take it on?

I heard today that Gunter Waldorfs Galanthus book is out but I cant find it
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #342 on: August 01, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »
Snowdrops: White magic. - 300 portraits

Short Description
A must - not only for Galanthophile "Galanthus" the herald of spring, tender and charismatic: Over 300 snowdrop varieties are portrayed in such abundance here for the first time - brilliantly photographed in their natural environment. The reader will learn about plant care and propagation of onion, and about collecting the right tools. Indispensable for Galanthophile, the book makes them curious novice and connoisseur is a practical and beautiful reference book. In the fall of the next spring think! • For the first time: portraits of over 300 varieties - in brilliant photographs and informative text • Everything about the care and propagation of snowdrops: Tips, tools, sources unrivaled •

About the Author
Günter Waldorf was the age of six horticultural infected "." Today he operates with his wife, a 3,000-square-foot garden on the Lower Rhine in Nettetal with about 450 snowdrop varieties. He is the initiator of the snowdrop days taking place there.

http://www.amazon.de/Schneegl%C3%B6ckchen-Zauber-dreihundert-Sorten-Fotoportr%C3%A4t/dp/3421038317

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #343 on: August 01, 2011, 10:05:55 PM »
Hopefully those who ordered it at the Gala will be receiving it through the post soon ;D ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #344 on: August 01, 2011, 10:23:37 PM »
I didnt realise he was taking orders at the Gala. I ordered mine of amazon.de today

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal