We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Books you may like to hear about  (Read 210029 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Books you may like to hear about
« Reply #315 on: May 27, 2011, 06:42:16 PM »
Tim, metal supports attached to the ceiling allow shelves to be suspended from the roof, offering a tad more book space..... depends how high the ceiling is and how tall you are as to how much use you can make of this particular space grabbing trick.  ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #316 on: May 28, 2011, 08:39:31 AM »
I hadn't thought of that Maggi! I have seriously considered raising the bed on stilts (for it is a spare bedroom too, as well as seed store and place to throw all of the AGS Group paraphernalia). That should give me quite a bit more space for books!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #317 on: May 31, 2011, 07:57:56 PM »
I received recently Robert Rolfe's latest book Portrait of Alpines.
I haven't yet devoured it - that will happen later this week - but as an apertif I scanned through the pictures and couldn't fault them. First impressions count for a lot...

and .....?

How many photos? How many plants? Show plants or in the wild?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #318 on: May 31, 2011, 08:22:06 PM »
How many photos? How many plants? Show plants or in the wild?
well, I still haven't had time to read the darn thing, but Ill try to help....

How many photos? Lots, nearly all by Robert, some others.... some great scenery shots, too.

How many plants? More than 84  ;)

Show plants or in the wild? Both.

Seems eminently readable!  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #319 on: June 06, 2011, 01:02:30 PM »
I have to say - gardening friends are real friends. I have just been left a copy of Brian Mathew's 'Crocus' by Rosemary Powis who was the Secretary of our AGS Group for 17 years. It recalls many happy memories running the Group. I shall have to supplement this with Janis Ruksans book, having hugely enjoyed 'Buried Treasures'. Extensions in the office will be underway before long!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #320 on: July 24, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »
Tim

Mr Ruksans book on Crocus has been published. It received a mixed review from Kit Grey-Wilson in the recent issue of The Garden. The essays on cultivation were warmly praised - as you would expect they would be since Mr Ruksans is a nurseryman of considerable standing. Concerns however were expressed about some of the photographs, the editing and terminology however  "..the author of this guide should be commended on producing an informative, albeit personal account of this popular, much loved genus."

Frazer
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Pascal B

« Reply #321 on: July 24, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »
Frazer,

No book is perfect, some of Grey-Wilson's books are also not without criticism and I am sure some "experts" will no doubt have something to say about the treatment of their "own" genera in the upcoming book by CGW and Cribb "Guide to the Flora of Western China"......

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #322 on: July 24, 2011, 01:42:15 PM »
£70 for Guide to the Flora of Western China
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Pascal B

« Reply #323 on: July 24, 2011, 03:23:52 PM »
Yes, but not available yet Mark, still has to be released.

Frazer, which month's issue of The Garden was that review of the Crocus book?

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #324 on: July 24, 2011, 04:56:25 PM »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if that's what comes across in a book, that's what catches me! But I find quite a lot beautiful so have rather a lot of books!!

GoodGrief

« Reply #325 on: July 24, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »

August.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #326 on: July 24, 2011, 07:08:52 PM »

Mr Ruksans book on Crocus has been published. It received a mixed review from Kit Grey-Wilson in the recent issue of The Garden. The essays on cultivation were warmly praised - as you would expect they would be since Mr Ruksans is a nurseryman of considerable standing. Concerns however were expressed about some of the photographs, the editing and terminology however  "..the author of this guide should be commended on producing an informative, albeit personal account of this popular, much loved genus."

Yes, it read as a very "tetchy" review to me. Perhaps KG-W had ideas on a Crocus book of his own, he's done books on most other plants :P Having said that I do find it annoying when photographs are in a lump in the middle of a book but the reasons for it are probably ones of economics and I would rather have them that way than no book at all.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Pascal B

« Reply #327 on: July 24, 2011, 08:29:10 PM »

August.

Mmm, as overseas member I haven't received that one yet..... ???

Pascal B

« Reply #328 on: July 24, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »
Yes, it read as a very "tetchy" review to me. Perhaps KG-W had ideas on a Crocus book of his own, he's done books on most other plants :P

David, you speak out something I was keeping as a thought to myself...... ;) And that is before I have read the review itself. Often reading a review is accompanied by reviewing the reviewer in the back of your mind isn't it?.

How objective a review is depends on several things, politics is among them. Also how knowledgeable the reviewer is on the subject of the book he/she is reviewing and how one perceives that person as an authority in general. I rather read a book written with passion by someone that has devoted a lifetime studying and working on a particular genus than a book by someone that tried to understand a medium to large genus in a relatively short period for the purpose of writing a book to make a living....(..).

I usually don't pay much attention to reviews, some books were considered bad which I thought were brilliant and others were hailed that I thought were crap. It also depends on how the aim of the book is met. Some books claim to be a monograph but if it is not accompanied by a full scale revision of the genus it is not. The book by Janis is a complete guide and it that sense I think it does the job very well. Now how to resist growing more autumn Crocus after reading it.....mmmmmm..... :-\

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #329 on: July 26, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »
Just an aside on the subject matter above: A friend here in Ireland, born in Latvia, is practising her English reading by reading Janis Ruksans' "Buried Treasures".

I thought it funny that a Latvian was reading in English a book written by a Latvian. It's a funny world.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal