We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Books you may like to hear about  (Read 210936 times)

Roma

Re: Books you may like to hear about
« Reply #300 on: January 31, 2011, 10:30:23 PM »
I think a number of people on the forum have galanthomania ;D ;D ;D
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #301 on: January 31, 2011, 11:00:59 PM »
Botanic Gardens - A Living History
Black Dog Publishing
ISBN 10: 1 904772 72 2
ISBN13: 978 1 904772 72 9

Published 2007
UK £39.95 US $59.95

Waterstones UK stores have reduced price to £6!!! - I'm assuming that copies are being reduced as part of a clearance (I think because of their rationalisation they are off loading books from recently closed stores and are generally seeking to shift over-stocks) I picked up a copy at my local Waterstones today.

Looking forward to rain on Sunday so that I can digest the content.

It is still full price online.  :(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #302 on: January 31, 2011, 11:18:17 PM »
I think a number of people on the forum have galanthomania ;D ;D ;D

ha ha ha
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #303 on: February 01, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
TV stays off - Janis crocus book arrived today :)
Best wishes
Armin

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #304 on: February 01, 2011, 06:04:50 PM »
I've only looked at the photos. I have two other books to read  ::) and a third to arrive. I know I'm spending my unemployment money is the wrong places
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #305 on: February 01, 2011, 06:49:17 PM »
My Crocus book dispatched today! Another one for the giant Mount Toberead!!!
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2011, 07:12:13 AM »
My Crocus book dispatched today! Another one for the giant Mount Toberead!!!
Damn! I just got a new library book (3rd book in a series!) due back in 3 weeks and Will has just rung to tell me that the parcel he collected at the Post Office today fell apart when he got it home to reveal.....Janis' book!
Chloe, that mountain just got a bit higher! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #307 on: March 03, 2011, 10:50:40 PM »
I have some reservations about bringing this book to your attention, but here goes:
'Sikkim and the World of Primulas'
by Keshab C. Pradhan
http://www.cinnamonteal.in
Works out at about £70.
(Can pay by Paypal).

It is a print-to-order book that received a favourable review in the American Primrose Society Quarterly.
After a short introduction into primula exploration, and a limited key, it launches in to a photographic record of seriously weird primulas.
There are a couple of short paragraphs of botanical description for each species, but it is basically a picture book.
Disappointingly, some of the photographs are of very poor quality. However, some are very good. All are taken in the wild, and there are some general views of habitat (meadows, cliffs, around waterfalls etc.), which are not always available on the Primulaworld website.
It has many photos of each species, and there are photos of species, which are not illustrated in John Richard's book.
It is disappointing, in that it could have been better, but as I don't know of any other book like it, it is 'this' or 'nothing'.
I am happy with my purchase, if only for the pictures of P.klattii, P.sappharina and many other exquisite primulas, but others may wish to see a copy first.

I don't know if the many members the SRGC who contributed to this book have been sent complimentary copies they would be willing to bring to shows for others to look at, or if the Book Secretary would be willing to purchase a copy for others to peruse........
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:35:30 PM by Giles »

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #308 on: March 14, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »
I received recently Robert Rolfe's latest book Portrait of Alpines.

I haven't yet devoured it - that will happen later this week - but as an apertif I scanned through the pictures and couldn't fault them. First impressions count for a lot...
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Nick_the_grief

• Incomplete beginner
    • Nicks Flickr site
« Reply #309 on: March 18, 2011, 08:36:49 PM »
I bought one on Mosses and Liverworts ... at least I'll know what it is in my seed pots now ::)

Nick
North Warwickshire

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #310 on: March 19, 2011, 10:06:23 AM »
Not in the top ten is it Nick? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #311 on: March 19, 2011, 10:09:37 AM »
I bought one on Mosses and Liverworts ... at least I'll know what it is in my seed pots now ::)

Fascinating plants.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Nick_the_grief

• Incomplete beginner
    • Nicks Flickr site
« Reply #312 on: March 22, 2011, 07:16:58 PM »
Not in the top ten is it Nick? ;D

Probably not David, but a damn site easier to photograph, they don't fly off, don't move in the wind and you only have to make sure that the Greens OK  ;D  I' downloaded a booklet about growing mosses in the greenhouse ... I really must get out more! :'(
Nick
North Warwickshire

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #313 on: May 25, 2011, 08:20:09 PM »
Books, books, books

Just to let fellow bibliophiles know that Keith's Plant Books  www.keithsplantbooks.co.uk/ will be attending Gardening Scotland and orders/inpsections can be brought to the show. He's got a great selection of alpine, bulbous and plant exploration titles (in fact the whole gamut of books - he has also recently acquired the library of John Lavanos of succulent fame)  - well worth checking out.

I remember donating quite some cash to his funds last year in return for filling some space in my library.
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #314 on: May 27, 2011, 05:34:24 PM »
I am hunting for a new place to put a shelf up in my office! I would very much like to write a book (for one it might stop me buying them). But in the meantime a couple that have captured me: first 'The Plant Life of Snowdonia' edited by Peter Rhind and David Evans. This describes all the plant life of the region including fungi and lichens, and recalls a very enjoyable holiday. Secondly a book recommended by Anne Speigel on the NARGS website, and which I have only just started to read but am already finding thoroughly absorbing: 'Land above the Trees' by Ann Zwinger and Beatrice Willard. This is an in depth ecological guide to the American Alpine Tundra and is beautifully written.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal