We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Books you may like to hear about  (Read 212267 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Books you may like to hear about
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2007, 01:55:34 PM »
Just wait until I get my pension in February then you'll see the last of the big spenders ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2008, 07:35:59 PM »
I have just added some book titles to the 'Members Booklist' page of the web site. These are books that I have just ordered in and do not appear in the Secretaries Pages list. Sorry if it looks a bit messy but what appears on the page is not in the same format as the page on which I made the entries.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2008, 08:17:20 PM »
In this week's Bulb Log:  a review of "Calochortus - Mariposa lilies and their relatives" by Mary E. Gerritsen and Ron Parsons......Published by Timber Press, ISBN-13: 978-0-88192-844-0, at £20.00, $29.95.
Log is here:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/200208/log.html

Edit: Please see the Members' Book Shop on the main site to see this and  other titles listed. M
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 01:04:54 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Shaw

« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2008, 08:31:48 AM »
Maggie
You will have noticed from my last message that SRGC Publications is already offering this book at £18 to give members a 10% discount.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:33:57 AM by David Shaw »

Carol Shaw

« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2008, 09:13:33 AM »
It obviously makes no sense for US & Canadian members to order the Calochortus book from the SRGC (the $ price is absurdly low!) but I do hope that UK & Europe members will do so. This is not the first time that a forumist has put up info on a book giving publisher details - or even Amazon details - when we already have the title available to members. Perhaps if you see a new and interesting title a quick e-mail to the publications manager to check if they have in stock can save this happening again?

On a completely different note it is great to be posting again! :)
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2008, 09:26:33 AM »
Is there a difference between a 'service to members' and those members making a commercial decision? The book in question is available on Abe Books at the lowest price of £9.79 plus £2.80 p/p see

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=gerritsen+and+parsons&kn=Mariposa&sortby=3&x=72&y=9

It's a competitive world out there folks.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:29:03 AM by Ian Y »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Carol Shaw

« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2008, 11:47:31 AM »
Obviously all of us have the right to go and buy books where ever we chose to and cost is a consideration for most of us. All I was, and am, suggesting is that it is good to check whether the SRGC has stock of a title and mention that too. If a member then decides to surf the web to find the cheapest available copy that is their choice.

Oh and as a publisher in my 'day job' I have to say a bitterly regret the loss of the retail price book agreement whereby a book could only be sold at its cover price. It has resulted in many small publishers and independent book shops going to the wall as they can no compete with the like of Amazon and the supermarkets. The majority of Europe still has the retail price agreement with the result that they have thriving book stores.  :'(
Carol

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2008, 12:51:08 PM »
Glad to see you "up and about" again, Carol. I hope you are feeling much better.

I would imagine that SRGC Members reading about any book would check to see what is available from the SRGC book store......many people... many THOUSANDS of people, reading both this Forum and Ian's Bulb Log, are, however we might regret the fact, NOT SRGC Members! The most useful info about any book includes the ISBN number, publisher and published price.... If the retail book price agreement were still in place, then that would be the ONLY price.

While I would encourage anyone enjoying this Forum on a regular basis to join the SRGC and so support the Club and secure the future of this site as a valuable resource.... it is part of the aims ofthe SRGC to disseminate information about our chosen field of plants and related matters, to as wide a public as possible .....something we seem pretty good at here, I reckon  8)

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2008, 01:54:15 PM »
Hello Everybody,
I am thinking about buying Saxifrages of Europe by D. A. Webb & R. J. Gornall. I would like very much to hear your opinion about this book, and if I should buy it from amazon or from abebooks (which I haven't known until now) - for the same price and almost the same delivery rate - or maybe from the SRGC???
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Carol Shaw

« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2008, 02:15:20 PM »
Hi Katherine

I can't comment on the book itself but note that it was published in 1991 and is now out of print. Thus it is not a title that the SRGC carries, Amazon themselves don't carry it but act as agents for folk selling 2nd hand copies. Malcolm McGregor would be the person to tell you if it is still up to date.
Carol

Carol Shaw

« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2008, 02:18:30 PM »
Hi Maggi

Agreed we want folk who are not SRGC members to be able to buy books too.

Thanks for the good wishes I am 'getting there' as they say... fed up of blood tests and taking pills but this too will pass. :)
Carol

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2008, 02:40:18 PM »
Thanks Carol for your reply, yes, I meant buying 2nd hand copies, if it is worthwhile. I am still waiting for comments on this book. :)
Zone 6

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2008, 03:39:57 PM »
Kata, Hello!
 I have a copy of this book... can you read Czech? If so, then I will send it to you....I do not read Czech!!

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2008, 07:43:40 AM »
Maggi, you are very kind, thank you, but I can't read Czeh, so I don't think I could use it. :(
English, German, Hungarian and Romanian is ok  ;D
Zone 6

David Shaw

« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2008, 06:52:49 PM »
Riddle of the Tsangpo Gorges

The second edition of the marvelous book is now available and described in 'Members Booklist'.

If you wish to save on postage please contact me and I will reserve you a copy to be collected at either Perth or Aberdeen Show.

Happy reading.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal