We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Books you may like to hear about  (Read 212295 times)

Giles

• Prince of Primula
Re: Books you may like to hear about
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2008, 07:47:24 PM »
Trees for all Seasons: Broadleaved Evergreens for Temperate Climates
by Sean Hogan. Timber Press. £25.
I came across this today, just published I would imagine, and couldn't resist it.
Definitely a book for the discerning plant fanatic. It coves a wide range of evergreen trees and shrubs.
Many of my favourite plants are covered, such as Ilicium, Drimys, Crinodendron and Arctostaphylos and alot of interesting looking plants I've never come across before. A range of more common plants are covered such as Ceanothus and Magnolia.
It was obviously written for the American market and covers some plants which one would struggle with even in the South of England, such as Citrus and Banksia, and there are quite a few omissions such as Rhododendron.
Although cold hardiness is given as a minimum temperature tolerance, some plants which are labelled as 'hardy' we would struggle with, with our
unpredictable/fluctuating Winter and Spring weather (how often has your Eucryphia been damaged by a late frost).
Probably one to look at in the shops first, before rushing out and ordering 'blind', but it covers a useful range of plants.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #151 on: November 29, 2008, 06:35:07 PM »
I will get a copy and have it at the shows next year. RRP £25, Members Price £22-50. If you want me to get you a copy, blind, then just contact me. Usual conditions as per Secretaries Pages.

This book is a recent publication from Timber Press. I had seen the blurb as I do my regular visits to book web sites and had decided that it was not a book that members (based on my own feelings) would be interested in. However, here is a member, Giles, suggesting it.

I would be quite happy to hear about other new books that I might have passed over but you think might be relevant for me to trial for members. After all, that is what the SRGC Publications manager is here for.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2008, 07:24:42 PM »
I am most flattered David!!!
It's a nice book. Alot will depend on one's local microclimate.
I was surprised at some of the 'tender' plants they grew, even in a more 'Eastern Garden' like Kildrummy.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #153 on: November 29, 2008, 07:47:39 PM »
David, while it is admirable that you want to be as helpful as possible to SRGC Members, the harsh reality of modern life is that those who may best benefit from the SRGC booklist are those without any access to the internet, and for those folks, the number who may want to purchase a book on trees is, I fear, likely to be rather limited.
For those of us who are reading this forum and are interested in this book, the chances to buy it at a much more favourable price are just too tempting, I think. A brief search found these:

https://secure.tesco.com/books/browse.aspx?N=525+25+12&Ne=689

Trees for All Seasons: Broadleaved Evergreens for Temperate Climates    £17.50
Author: Sean Hogan
Format: Hardback
Published: 15 November 2008
Availability: Normally dispatched within 1 working day.

and...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0881926744/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227987553&sr=1-1
Trees for All Seasons: Broadleaved Evergreens for Temperate Climates by Sean Hogan (Hardcover - 15 Nov 2008)
Buy new:(rrp  £25.00 )  £18.42
26 Used & new from £14.89
Usually dispatched within 10 to 13 days

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Carol Shaw

« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2008, 06:14:46 PM »
Maggi

I think the thrust of David's post was to ask other forum members to flag up new books they had spotted which he might not have (particularly as he is busy building us a new kitchen right now). We are both well aware that, though not gardening books. Fortunately there are enough members who do not have access to the web or prefer not to order via the web that the publications side ticks over. We get regular orders from overseas members, I can only assume that, for example, amazon.au does not carry the titles or does not offer the rock bottom prices that amazon.co.uk or .com does.

As someone who's 'day job' is as part of a small publishing company I have to say I personally wish that the agreement whereby a book could only be sold at its rrp still existed. In most of Europe this is still the case and the publishers fare better because of this. AND I respect the fact that each and every one of us has the right to choose where we buy what!  ;D
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2008, 02:11:49 PM »
Growing Bulbs Indoors by Peter J M Knippels published by A A Belkema/Rotterdam/Brookfield 1999.

This book is now out of print but after a long search I found it on Keith's Plant Books Web Site although a search today didn't find it. http://www.keithsplantbooks.co.uk/default.aspx?Books=G

I first found out about the book when reading Manning, Goldblatt and Snijman's Colour Encyclopedia of Cape Bulbs. For anyone interested in trying some of the South African and North and South American species it is ideal. There are sections on the main growing ares, a good general chapter on cultivation, and it deals in detail with a range of species from Achimenes through to Zephyranthes taking into account dormant periods, watering requirements, bulb planting levels etc. I have sometimes found it difficult to clarify whether a species was a Winter or a Summer grower and again this is well covered for all the species he deals with. If I have a grouse at all it might be that some of the ideal growing temperatures he mentions are a few degrees warmer than I can offer but in time he may well be proved right!

If you can find a copy it should prove an excellent buy.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2008, 07:21:47 PM »
Growing Bulbs Indoors by Peter J M Knippels published by A A Belkema/Rotterdam/Brookfield 1999.
I am glad you really like the little book, David.
Though still find it very expensive. But this is mostly because the man was not able to find a cheaper publisher.
And so he only was able to invest in a smaller printing run.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2008, 02:22:24 PM »
For those of you who like to keep your gardening in harmony with the Earth, I must tell you about this book....

In Tune With The Moon 2009.......see here:

http://www.findhornpress.com/ecology-nature-and-geomancy-14/in-tune-with-the-moon-2009-216.html

Our own Carol Shaw, who works with  the publishers, will be coming on, by phone, to the Beechgrove Potting Shed radio programme this coming Sunday 7th December, to tell s more about the book.
 I believe she and David have been following this holistic and natural method of gardening for a while..... must say, I had wondered what those rumours about dancing in the moonilght i the Forres area were about  ::) :-[ ;)

The programme is on Sunday at 12.05 to 1.00pm on BBC Radio Scotland  FM 92-95 ( only, not MW) or online at BBC.co.uk/radioscotland    ....listen live.....

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2008, 07:10:51 PM »
When is Beechgrove on TV?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2008, 07:33:45 PM »
Mark ,the Beechgrove Garden TV programme is off air for the winter at the moment. While we have at various times appeared on that programme and often provide fishbox troughs for the programme etc. I am referring to a BBC Scotland Radio Programme, the Beechgrove Potting Shed....which takes its name , as the TV programme does, from the fact that both originated at Beechgrove House, the BBC studios in Aberdeen.  Nowadays the TV programme is made by an independent production company at a six acre site some few miles out of Aberdeen. Two of the TV presenting team are regulars in the Potting Shed, as well, Jim McColl and SRGC member Carole Baxter.

Carol Shaw

« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2008, 09:58:02 PM »
I hate you Maggi Young  ;) I am so not looking forward to Sunday... now you've let all the forum know I'm going to be on the programme! Findhorn Press is, for the 2nd year, bringing out a book on gardening with the Moon. Frieda has been looking for someone to talk to and, as we have not found anyone else, suggested I do! We have just barely started to learn what this means and I will probably sound like a right numpty on the programme! Oh well, I can wipe the egg off my face again :)
Carol

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2008, 11:39:19 AM »
Just hope it's an organic egg, Carol!

Carol Shaw

« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2008, 12:15:04 PM »
I would be in deep trouble it it weren't  :o
Carol

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »
Gardens in Art by Lucia Impelluso published by J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles is for this Scottish Rocker one of the most interesting books read this year. I quote from the preface: " Often relegated to the background of a painting, the garden has generally played the role of decor to the main scene taking place in the foreground. But in fact the green microcosm has a life of its own, made up of symbols and meanings reflecting the tastes and aesthetics of successive centuries".

Over 350 beautifully illustrated pages, adorned with fabulous works of art, the book analyzes and deciphers the constituent elements of the garden. There are nine chapters, broadly arranged chronologically. The first 5 cover matters such as early gardens, Sacred and Profane Gardens, through to the 19th century, The Garden goes Public: the remaining 4 examine the different levels of symbolism that recur within the gardens styles reviewed in the first 5 chapters. The book provides a genuine education in appreciating the better art works - I was unaware, for instance, that the symbolism of lilies in a picture alludes not only to the love between Apollo and Hyacinth  but also evokes death, since Persophone was abducted by Hades as she stooped to pick up a lily.

I appreciate that the book might not appeal to everyone; but I realise that we rockers are a catholic bunch and I'm sure anyone with an interest in art or garden history or the importance of visual vocabulary will be smitten. It's a steal retailing for between £10-15 and handily it can fit in the pocket (albeit of a poacher's as the book weighs 1.5kilos).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:53:03 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal