We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Some Gardeners Have Lot To Answer For  (Read 8613 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Some Gardeners Have Lot To Answer For
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 12:44:45 PM »
While I am grateful for your helpful suggestions, Friends, it is beyond doubt that Fred's  contribution to the site is so important that an absence for such a length of time is far too serious for even these tried and tested remedies to work....... :o..........ooohhhh, dear me...... :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 05:31:04 PM »
Quite simple Maggi ... either:-

a) Fred will have to take a SRGC laptop to New Zealand with him and be paid £350 a day consultancy fees (plus expenses, of course)...

b) The Forum will have to be suspended for the duration of his trip...

c) We put our trust in the powers of chocolate...!    ;)
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 05:46:52 PM »
I'll just have to go round to Dave's (t00lie ) place and handle things from there.

After we get back from the river of course, and have had a beer or two................  :)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 06:08:22 PM »
I was always under the impression that Dave didn't drink......!!!   :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 08:41:44 AM »
I was always under the impression that Dave didn't drink......!!!   :D
He's very good at giving that impression ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 09:20:19 AM »
Actually I have been known to have a beer or two just to settle the nerves BEFORE a fishing trip and although it's still another month before the season opens here ,i've had to reach into the fridge for an early ale because of this pic i came across recently on a NZ tramping website.........

Cheers dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »
Did I miss something Dave, just looks like water to me.  However I grant you it could be a good excuse for a beer ;).
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 12:08:33 PM »
I remember discovering what a pest Himalayan Balsam had become about 5-6 years ago when I went into a supermarket in Edinburgh and saw a poster on the wall inviting me to take part in a "Balsam Bashing" weekend (20 years before that I had done my bit of rhodi-bashing on the west coast). The following week I was on a train between Bath and Southampton and I saw how far it had come - it was almost everywhere along the river banks. I really can't believe that these bashing weekends can have any real impact...

Incidentally, the seed of Himalayan Balsam are edible and have a good nutty taste - if you can catch one that is! Apparently it is also grown in its home range for an edible oil extracted from the seed. Would be interested to take part in a "Balsam Catching" weekend...

While on the subject of edible invasives, I made Knotweed crumble for the first time this spring!! It really was excellent, similar to rhubarb (same family) but with its own special taste - can also be used in savoury dishes. It's also reputedly full of antioxidants....Eat your weeds (but NOT the Giant Hogweed!)
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »
That's a lot of fish in one area Dave. Must be very easy to catch over there as all you need to do is drag a hook through them :D. Shelagh, if you really can't see anything but water, the black mass and shapes are all fish.

Dave

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 04:54:32 PM »
Actually I have been known to have a beer or two just to settle the nerves BEFORE a fishing trip and although it's still another month before the season opens here ,i've had to reach into the fridge for an early ale because of this pic i came across recently on a NZ tramping website.........

Cheers dave.

Right Dave, looks like we know where we are going now.......................... ;D

I needed  a beer after catching this toothy critter on a local river in May this year. It should still be swimming about eating it's smaller brothers and sisters as I fish catch and release on rivers

83125-0
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 05:02:17 PM by admin »

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 07:55:25 PM »
Lovely markings and perfectly hooked ;D

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 08:53:55 PM »
Earlier Quote----"Must be very easy to catch over there as all you need to do is drag a hook through them".

That would be the only way i'd probably be able to catch any of those Dave as i'm not that skilled --too busy looking around at nature /scenery.
In fact a successful day is one where i've managed to see ,not necessarily caught fish.Smile.

We also have introduced riverside weeds here including the wild Lupin .A lovely sight when in bloom but a rapid colonizer.

Cheers dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 09:33:07 PM »
Dave, are you sure that picture is not computer generated?  Or is that in some unaccessible  place.

If you are coming through Dunedin Fred - there will always be a welcome here.  Not so many fish but the beer is good - several boutique breweries and of course we are right next door to brilliant wine country and more fishing.

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 02:23:46 AM »
Hello Loyal Friend

Nope the pic hasn't been altered.

Here's one final closer shot.

They both appear on the Otago Tramping and Mountain Clubs website under a trip report --Timaru river-Moonlight hut 2005.

I don't know that part of Central Otago well Susan, however some of the other pics of the trip showed it to be a pretty rugged area.

Cheers dave.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:27:45 AM by t00lie »

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 05:44:11 AM »
I totally agree Dave, does not look like a walk in the park as they say. Fish are smart though, I bet they have realised that no-one would carry a fishing rod all that way. 

Does it run into Lake Hawea? Looks like stunning country. How fit is Fred????

Susan

Dunedin, New Zealand

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal