We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Australian Native Plants in our gardens  (Read 19990 times)

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
Australian Native Plants in our gardens
« on: August 22, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »
Edit by M; this thread was started by Paul and I have moved Miriam's post here as it seem more appropriate

Paul,
Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures!
I grow several Australian Plants in my garden like:Anigozanthos, Grevillea, Eremophila, Pimelea...
The Australian Plants are very successful in the climate of Israel.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 02:56:06 PM by Maggi Young »
Rehovot, Israel

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Australian Native Plants in our gardens
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 04:58:38 AM »
Howdy All,

I'm just starting a second topic for posting Aussie native plants in our gardens.  I figure it is easier to keep my postings from the ANBG separate to those from my own garden (which are grown MUCH more poorly!  ;D), and this provides a place for others to join in with their Aussie natives as well.  I'll post a couple of pics here later today to start the ball rolling, but Fermi or others if you've got pics to share go right ahead!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 05:42:57 AM »
OK, here's a few that are in bud or flower in my garden at the moment....

The two Correa are very different, with the Correa 'Dusky Bells' being a dense shrub up to 4 feet tall or larger (if I allowed it to get that big, but I keep it trimmed down) with flowers that are more than an inch (that's the coloured bit) long.  The ground cover form of Correa pulchellus is no more than maybe 4 or 5 inches tall in the garden I got my cuttings from, and about 3 feet wide.  The flowers are only around 1.5cm long.  Adorably cute!!

The other two are again different types of their genus.  The Grevillea bipinnatifida is a grafted specimen as it is one of the Western Australian species I think, and they don't like striking from cuttings etc.  Many of the WA plants are grafted onto plants with roots better suited to the eastern clay conditions, instead of the WA sandy soils.  The colour doesn't show up properly as the rich deep red that it is.  The leaves are very unusual for the genus, and you can see them in the bottom left of the picture.

The second is Grevillea 'Wild Beauty which is a small mound of main foliage (maybe 2 or 3 feet tall when it gets older) with long, waving, flowering stems (up to an extra 3 feet in height?) topped by these lovely pink "brushes".  Very striking, and not looking much like a Grevillea at all.  Mine is in a pot, as are most of my Aussie native plants, so I don't know how big it would really get in the ground.  I can go and find the tag if anyone really needs to know.  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 07:57:46 AM »
Very interesting to see these plants. All unknown to me. Keep on posting :)
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 10:09:59 AM »
Nice Paul. By the way, which of the coloured bits did you mean? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 10:18:49 AM »
Please keep this thread up for us, Paul.  I grow a few Aussie plants, but there are always more.... my friend was telling me she got Arctostaphylos recently, never heard of it, so looked it up and it appears to be from your part of the world.  I like many NZ shrubs too, wish I had room for more.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 10:38:28 AM »
Hi Paul ,

thank you for all the nice pics - really interesting to see these plants from Australia !
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 11:01:57 AM »
The tubular coloured bits, David.  Which other coloured bits were there?  ::)  Then again, I suppose if you were red/green colourblind that would all be shades of grey anyway, so maybe there wouldn't be coloured bits at all. :-\

Glad you're all enjoying.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 11:05:18 AM »
hi Paul very nice to see. The correa dusky bells is delightful and is easy to grow here although tender where I live. I also like C backhousiana which is perhaps described best as quietly attractive. No hope with the grevillea.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 11:19:35 AM »
Tony,

Neither of those Grevilleas would be terribly cold tolerant.  OK here with some mild protection, but nothing colder than us.  There are other more cold tolerant species though.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 12:50:21 PM »
Paul,
  there is a marvellous nursery for Native Plants only 10 minutes from here, it is a must for you to visit, an opportunity to take many photos to post on the forum ,so please allow some extra time when you visit us in 3 week,s time .
  Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 01:13:56 PM »
Hi Otto,  just puzzled, where is your 'here'?  If you can add your location to your sig it would be very helpful....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 01:18:19 PM »
Otto,

Eeeek!  I'm not sure I needed to know that.  Already not got enough space for what I have.  ;D  My problem is I start back at the ANBG on teh 1st of September, so really I shouldn't even be taking time off to come down to the talk and visit you guys that weekend.  I'd hoped to be able to extend a bit and get back here on the Wednesday, to allow a bit of wandering, but thinking now we may make a marathon trip back on the Monday.  Staying at Tim's Sat and Sunday nights, so I'll get to see your area at the very least.... just have to work out how much more time I can spare.  I think it is about a 9 or 10 hour drive from Melbourne to here isn't it? :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 08:49:52 AM »
Howdy All,

This Myoporum is currently flowering on the nature strip a few houses down from my place.....

95531-0

95533-1

It is about 2.5m wide, but perhaps 15cm tall, without flowers throughout.  Very impressive.  I shall be asking if I can take a few cuttings as I think this would be a wonderful weed suppressant right on the corner of my nature strip.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:52:02 AM by Maggi Young »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 12:45:50 PM »
I have to single out the kangoroo paw! I really like that plant! I only have sen it once here, in the botanical garden, and it grows quite big!

The correa is also very nice, nevr heard of that one ;)
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal