We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The Irish potato famine  (Read 7707 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: The Irish potato famine
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 06:51:27 PM »
Today I was doing a survey in the Sperrin Mountains that lie on the west side of Lough Neagh. I saw more lazy beds dating to the famine. Again the are enclosed by fallen down dry stone walls. The beds are in the 3 pale fields and the darker one on the middle left. Bad photo due to me being in the clouds
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 06:56:09 PM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 07:51:22 PM »
Mark, how is this for lazy beds in the 21st Century?
Slighty narrower but still using the same principles to grow 990 different dwarf tulip species and hybrids.
This is one of Janis's friend's (sorry can't remember his name) hobby garden! in Latvia. Pity more of them were not in flower.
Picture courtesy of Sandy. The building in the background is the one of the restraunts Sandy mentions in the journal, note the lack of fences.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 08:21:08 PM »
I think these lazy beds are used by gardeners in the US. Yes it would have been good to see the tulips in flower
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 10:00:10 PM »
So are these beds in Sandy's picture just heaped up soil without edges or do they have some kind of structure to hold the soil in? They look so neat to be unconfined. Is Sandy's pic in the new Journal? I haven't got mine yet.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 10:01:52 PM »
Too far back, I mean recently. Potatoes weren't around until at least the 16th century.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 08:46:27 AM »
Lesley,
The beds had been made by a machine :) They were like large potato furrows, I think prob like the ones which are used to grow Turnips, lettuce etc in this country. They look like lazy beds but are not permant. I think they are made every year, with the tulips being lifted each summer. We have like Mark proper lazy beds in Scotland which you can see in uncultivated farmland. It is a great way to grow bulbs, Janis also used this method for making his beds - old ideas are sometimes still good. I don't think Sandy has this picture in the journal, but has a really good article about our visit to Latvia. I had a major computer crash and lost my Latvian photos, I hadn't followed my own advise to back up every time I load photos.The journal only came the other day so yours will be there soon, lots of good things in it.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 03:09:58 AM »
Thanks Susan, in fact my Journal arrived yesterday (Friday) and I think it is the best ever. That amazing cover sets the scene and everything that follows is absolutely wonderful. I envy you your trip to Latvia. Those corydalis!!! and the juno irises. Oh God!!! So my eternal thanks to those people who wrote and photographed to make up such a stunning issue.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal