We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 31  (Read 4524 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Bulb Log 31
« on: July 31, 2008, 10:12:41 AM »
Ian

Seed from a silver-leafed purpurascens is on its way to you.  Will post picture of the plant(s) later today.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Bulb Log 31
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:47:37 AM »
Ian,

Great log, as always.  Interesting that you sow the seed halfway down the mix..... I've always found myself that sowing Cyclamen seed under the gravel just like bulb seed has worked very well for me.  The new bulbs forms right on the surface of the soil just under the gravel.  I find that Cyclamen coum is best dried for a couple of weeks before sowing, as I have found much better germination results than if they are sown directly fresh.  Just an observation I thought people might be interested.

Arthur,

I'd be interested in seeing your silver leaf purpurascens too if you don't mind posting a pic here (Wasn't sure whether you were going to post the pic privately to Ian or not, so thought I'd ask).  I have various seedlings coming along from my "silver leaf" types (I call them that, but they are by no means pure silver) and I'd be interested to see what is actually around out there by way of silver leaves of this species.  It is a favourite of mine as it flowers almost all year here, and I love the leaves.  One of my seedlings is almost a solid silver leaf, but I am finding it is much slower growing as the solid silver is obviously in it's case limiting it's food availability.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:18:34 PM »
Arthur you are a gem and a good friend, thanks.

Paul, yes I used to sow on the surface and just cover with gravel and got a reasonable germination and as you say the young corms were just on the surface of the compost.
My long term problem with growing cyclamen in pots is rot starting in the congested area where all the stems arise from the top surface of the corm and spreading down to the corm itself.
When I started to sow the seed deeply and continued to grow the coms at that depth instead of sitting on the surface I found that I no longer have the rotting problem.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 11:19:34 PM »
Ian,

That must be why it isn't a problem here..... no rain, so limited moisture except hand watering!!!  ;D ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

art600

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 12:41:21 AM »
When I moved to my bungalow in September 2003, I threw a lot of soil onto a raised bed.  The soil was from several Cyclamen where I had lost patience and thought there was no chance of germination.

The following pictures show the 2 Cyclamen purpurascens that did germinate.  They flowered for the first time in 2006, and have set seed regulalrly since.  Cyclamen Hederifolium and coum also germinatd, but these have been removed to other parts of the garden - there were thousands of bulbs in the garden, but no Cyclamen.
Arthur Nicholls

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 02:43:41 AM »
Arthur,

Mine are similar to that.  I am hoping that my almost completely silver form goes well, as it should be lovely as a mature plant.  And set seed i we're lucky.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

art600

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:56:09 AM »
Paul

Just noticed this seedling - could be from the other plants. 
Arthur Nicholls

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:38:47 AM »
Arthur,

well done.  Very similar to mine, although I think mine has an edge of green.  Keep an eye on that one, it'll be a stunner I think.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 01:27:09 PM »
I'm never really sure what counts as "silver" as opposed to "pewter" in cyclamen terms
Here's a selection of my so-called silver purpurascens
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

art600

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 02:18:33 PM »
Diane

Very nice - I would call the majority 'silver'  Certainly more silver than mine.
Arthur Nicholls

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »
Silver, pewter, we'd just be pleased with something in a purpurascens leaf that isn't plain green!! So, thanks, Arthur, from me, too!  :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 11:20:04 PM »
Diane,

Very, very nice.  My silverish seedling would be like your bottom left one I think, probably pewter rather than silver.  I particularly like the main leaf in the top left one, with the tiny christmas tree mark in the centre.  Really sets it off.  I'd be pleased to grow any of those.  So hard to find solid silver versions, so well done! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 06:04:14 AM »
I would be delighted to have C. purpurascens AT ALL!!! Used to have a couple of small plants but they didn't survive my last garden move, 11 years ago.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 09:27:43 AM »
Lesley,

I can easily send you seeds if you want.  I probably still have some from my last collection.  I'll have to check.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

art600

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 10:27:22 AM »
I would be delighted to have C. purpurascens AT ALL!!! Used to have a couple of small plants but they didn't survive my last garden move, 11 years ago.

Lesley
I will send you some seeds from the same batch as Ian.
Arthur Nicholls

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal