We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 32-08/08/08  (Read 1791 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Bulb Log 32-08/08/08
« on: August 06, 2008, 07:30:25 PM »
Packed full of vital information as usual Ian, thank you. Now I am worrying what I have potted too deeply, or, for me in particular, too shallowly!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Bulb Log 32-08/08/08
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 10:55:37 PM »
If too deeply David, the worst that will happen, if they're well drained, is that they'll take a bit longer to come up and perhaps flower a week or two later. Not a disaster. I've learned the hard way that too deep is better than too shallow.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 10:02:10 PM »
Thanks for another very informative log Ian.
In your classification of Narcissus into deeper versus shallower planting, I would be interested to know which group would you say N. cyclamineus comes into? I haven't grown this in a pot before and am wondering what depth to start with (my default is to start half way and then, as yourself, see what the bulbs are telling me when they get repotted).

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:38:43 PM »
David do not panic, planting at the wrong depth is rarely fatal the bulbs will just not perform to their best and you can correct it next year.

Paul, I plant Narcissus cyclamineus in the lower half of the pot 1/3 from the bottom as it needs more moisture and cooler conditions especially in the summer months.
The ones I grow in plastic pots live in open plunges and never dry out for long even in the summer.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal