We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 2 July 2008  (Read 1749 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Bulb log 2 July 2008
« on: July 07, 2008, 01:53:32 AM »
Most impressed with the vigour of those self seeded Dactylorhiza plants growing in the troughs. My self seeded plants tend to be purpurella or pure fuchsii, so not as tall. I think 'Eskimo Nell', in spite of its erroneous poetical links, is a plant that I must get!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:57:27 AM by adarby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Bulb log 2 July 2008
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 02:48:28 AM »
I love the white dactylorhiza which I think IS in NZ but not spread around as yet. But the white roscoea really gets to me! :P :-*
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 03:52:27 PM »
Nice to see the dactylorhizas 8)
Does anyone know if Eskimo Nell is a hybrid and if so of what, or it is a true species and if so of which?
The fact that the seedling can come up in troughs that did not contain Dactylorhiza shows that it is not a special Dactyloriza fungus needed for the gremination but "ordinary" fungus that exist in garden soil.
Ian do You think the roscoea need to be dug around or is it just that they do not like the root invasion/competition that comes from other perenials and from bushes and trees and so on when not digging a bed yearly? They also look a bit crowed is that why they do not perform on there maximum? Any way they would not be kicked out of my bed :) >:)

I will hope to see the 150 seedlings bloom. I bet that will be a nice view ::) :o

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 12:16:07 PM »
I'll second (or whatever number it is) the comments on the Dacts.  Stunning!!!!!  I too was particularly taken by that white Roscoea!!  So many wonderful things in your garden that we don't see down here (well at least not in my garden anyway!  :P)

Thanks as always for all the effort that goes into preparing your wonderful logs.  I am making an effort to start back through the backlog I haven't read as yet.  Could take me a while though. ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal