We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 26-25 June 2008  (Read 1784 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Bulb Log 26-25 June 2008
« on: June 27, 2008, 07:09:41 PM »
Ian. I was interested in your comment that if you had the time you would like to re-pot all your bulbs on the last day of August and water them on the first of September. I have all my bulbs, that I know (or think!) welcome a dry Summer underneath the staging in the greenhouse, and those that I know (or think!) will tolerate some moisture still outside in a shady spot. As the weather has not been good for outside gardening during the last week I have made a start on re-potting my dry bulbs, and these have now gone back under the staging until the 'September shower'. Next week I thought I might make a start on the others.

Am I causing myself problems and should I keep my more moisture loving bulbs dry after re-potting please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Bulb Log 26-25 June 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 11:13:07 AM »
David, I started repotting weeks ago the problem that I have found with repotting too early is that the compost in the pots has just dried out nicely by this time but my new compost is not so dry and there is a chance of wet rot attacking the bulbs.
It seems to me that the bulbs enjoy the summer rest much better in their old compost it may also be down to nutrient levels especially nitrogen which are higher in the new mix.
The bulbs that prefer a moist summer can be repotted now and placed back outside infact it is better to do some of those sooner rather than later because the new roots often start extending in July.

Despite my wish to live in my ideal world, note that is not anybodies ideal world, I have to be realistic and get on with the job of repotting when ever time allows.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:15:26 AM »
I meant to add that if anyone viewed this weeks bulb log early; I missed out the first  picture so go and have another look and you will see the comparison of the rotten Frit chitralensis bulbs, the cleaned up chips and the new formed bulbils.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 12:45:53 PM by Maggi Young »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 07:12:14 PM »
Thanks Ian. It's really difficult, these days' to buy dry grit, sand and compost, I've had trays of each on the garage floor for the last few weeks drying out in the hope that there would be much less moisture left in it by the time I used it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal