We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: DRYAD NURSERY NEWS AND NEW INTRODUCTIONS SUMMER 2023  (Read 2308 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: DRYAD NURSERY NEWS AND NEW INTRODUCTIONS SUMMER 2023
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2023, 09:39:24 AM »
Earlier this year, I was faced with the task of trying to select my favourite from a lot of seedlings that I’d made a few years back crossing various forms of N. triandrus and cantabricus, to see how much variation I could get in the popular x susannae type of flower. I ended up with a treasure chest of different seedlings that it was hard to choose between. Visitors to the RHS daffodil show at Hyde Hall this year would have seen some of the clones in our display. I have selected some to propagate on, but have named two of the clones that I had a reasonable stock of – RIME and IVORY RIPPLE.

RIME is the result of crossing a large flowered triandrus with the plant I have labelled N. eualbidus (a very small, upward facing cantabricus type). Flowering at 25cm high, each stem carries 1-3 white flowers with a conical corona and quite long, slightly back-swept perianth. The bulbs have hybrid vigour and increase well.

MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2023, 09:39:59 AM »
IVORY RIPPLE is a seedling of N. triandrus var triandrus and N. cantabricus petunioides, and both it and Rime were much admired at RHS and AGS shows this spring, Ivory Ripple being awarded a PC at Kendal AGS show. In colour it is a cool ivory, with the conical corona flared at the mouth and longitudinally rippled, hence the name.
The 1-2 flowers per stem face outwards or slightly down on 20cm stems, above prostrate leaves. Both varieties will be excellent for alpine shows, but the fairly long perianths make them slightly too wide to be classed as miniatures for RHS daffodil exhibits.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2023, 09:40:35 AM »
Registered earlier, but being offered for the first time on ebay this year are two of our best exhibition miniatures, MICA and LITTLE GOLDHEART.

MICA is a stunning division 2 miniature, opening with a white perianth and pale lemon cup, maturing to a pure white overall. It has excellent exhibition form with an overlapping perianth that opens perfectly flat, and has won many prizes for me. At 16cm high, it also makes a wonderful container specimen.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2023, 09:41:45 AM »
LITTLE GOLDHEART stole a few hearts when exhibited this year.  From ‘Pequenita’ x N. rupicola subsp. watieri, it is one of several excellent clones from the same seedpod, including many nursery favourites. Growing to about 18cm, the upright stems bear single flowers only 33mm wide, a creamy lemon in colour, but with the inside and rim of the short cup a glowing deep yellow. A real eyecatcher and excellent for exhibition.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2023, 09:42:35 AM »
Finally, BUTTERTUBS is sister to FAT RASCAL, both names with Yorkshire connections.  Slightly taller than the Rascal, Buttertubs’ corona is much shorter, corrugated lengthwise and a deeper shade of lemon yellow. Satisfyingly chubby!

I have been delighted by these lovely daffodils here at Dryad Nursery over the last few years – they can’t fail to lift the spirit. I hope you will enjoy them too.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2023, 06:23:44 PM »
Merciful heavens - what a collection of diminutive delights you have in these wee daffs, Anne. And who could fail to love a wee narcissus called 'Buttertubs'!!??!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2023, 08:25:34 AM »
I fall in love with most of them!
I finally found the images of Narcissus Mica I've been hunting for - these show the flowers in their mature colouring of all white.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2023, 08:17:04 PM »
Our first listings for the summer are now live on EBAY for 3 days.
The first offerings include no less than THREE new snowdrops, and FIVE new daffodils for 2023.
The new snowdrops are headed up by DRYAD DUCHESS, the first of our new DRYAD ARISTOCRATS GROUP of autumn-flowering hybrids:
In 2013, while enjoying my autumn flowering snowdrops in the greenhouse, I wondered whether the two species I grew – G. reginae-olgae and G. peshmenii – were fertile if crossed together. On a warm day, when the pollen was running freely from the flowers if tapped, I made the cross between G. reginae-olgae ‘Cambridge’ and my favourite small form of G. peshmenii. The ovaries swelled satisfactorily and seeds were duly sown in May of 2014, germinating the following autumn. The first flowers opened in October 2019, and it became clear that we had something very special.
The flowers were of heavy substance, with corrugated outer segments and a nice variation in height and inner markings. The bulbs were healthy and increased over the next two years, often giving more than one scape per bulb. The outstanding feature, though, was the strong, rich, sweet scent common to the seedlings, quite unlike the usual honey scent of the parents.
The leaves were just emerging at the time of flowering, so the flowers were presented well in their pots. Later, as the leaves grew, a complication became apparent: the leaves showed the pale median stripe typical of G. reginae -olgae. Had the intended cross actually taken, or were the seedlings pure G. reginae-olgae?
Considering the unusual texture of the flowers and the distinctive perfume, as well as the vigour of the seedlings, I feel confident of their hybridity.
I have selected four of the seedlings for naming and registration. These are: DRYAD PRINCESS, DRYAD DUCHESS, DRYAD COUNTESS and DRYAD EMPRESS – together the DRYAD ARISTOCRATS GROUP.
DRYAD DUCHESS, the first to be offered, flowers at 12cm high, with leaves just emerging at flowering time. Though smaller in stature, DUCHESS has the largest flowers of the group. The spathe is quite straight, and longer than the pedicel, while the ovary is egg-shaped. The outer segments are 26mm long, with a 4mm long ‘claw’, deeply cupped and longitudinally ribbed, especially in the basal half. The inner segments are 12mm long by 10mm, and wide bear the largest mark of the group, a rich emerald green, fading slightly towards the base with the green running along the corrugations to 60% of the length of the segment. The mark has a crisp white margin around the narrow sinus.
The second new introduction is the first from our green breeding programme.
DRYAD SONATA, G.elwesii ‘Eilys Elisabeth Hartley’ x ‘Rosemary Burnham’, slightly favours her pollen parent, Rosemary Burnham, but is more heavily, and variously, marked with green. Flowering at 20cm, the leaves are broad, upright, and slightly twisted, with hooded tips.
The flowers are attractively bell-shaped, constricting into the long claw, with the margins of the distal half of the outer segments distinctively rolled upwards, giving the segment an unusual spear shape, or ‘quilled’ appearance.
The outer segment mark covers almost the whole of the surface, except for a prominent white spot at the apex, which is common to most of the seedlings from this cross. The deep apple-green colouring is solid at the shoulder and apex, dissolving into lines following the textured furrows in between.
The inner segments are almost wholly bright emerald, darker over the sinus, and with a paler ‘waist’ constriction between the two shades.

Our last two new introductions hail from Estonia, and are very different to each other.
GALANTHUS NIVALIS 'TILLUKE'
From that great plantsman Taavi Tuulik in Estonia, I'm excited to offer this little green-tip for the first time. It is the smallest green-tip we grow - maybe the smallest known?
‘Tilluke’ means ‘tiny’ in Estonian, which is the perfect name - flowering at only 5cm high, it has tiny flowers less than 2cm long including the ovary. The fresh green tips on the outer segments cover the apical third of the segment.
In common with many of the other Estonian nivalis, it multiplies very quickly, but is not easy to flower in pots, and will benefit from being planted out on a raised bed where it can be appreciated and protected from slugs. The mature bulb offered has 3 'noses' and should be flowering size, but there is no guarantee that it will flower next season.
ESTONIAN BIRD GROUP ‘KAKK’ is one of a range of superb double snowdrops from Estonia.
The varieties have the stamp of that great plantsman Taavi Tuulik who bred and developed the range in Estonia, along with the excellent Estonian Spirit range grown and introduced by Dryad Nursery.
Kakk was bred from G. nivalis ’Flore Pleno’ hand-pollinated with a G. plicatus from the Krasnodar region, Russia.
KAKK (Boreal Owl Aegolius funereus) is the latest cultivar to be offered by us. There is ONLY ONE to spare, and it may be the last.
Flowering at under 15cm high, the relatively large flowers usually have 3-4 outer segments, of heavy texture and lightly ribbed. The 8-12 inner segments are heavily ridged. the apical mark is deep moss green, bleeding back along the corrugations for a short distance towards the base. The basal mark is pale apple green, usually resolving as two separate 'eyes', displaying well between the long claws of the outers.
Last but certainly not least, these newcomers are presided over by the King of the Gods – DRYAD ZEUS.
Dryad Zeus has been a nursery favourite since its first flowering, easily spotted amongst all its peers due to its bold streak of deep green running down the centre of the outer segments, leading to it being named after Zeus, the god of the sky and thunder in Greek mythology, well-known for sending down bolts of lightning from the heavens. This snowdrop is equally striking!
Flowering at up to 270mm high (under glass, probably shorter outside), the flowers are held on upright pedicels above arching, plicate leaves which are half the height of the pedicels at flowering time. The mark on each outer segment is a parallel sided, rich green longitudinal stripe covering the central one third of the segment, rounded towards the apex, at which there is a white notch, and fading to paler yellowish green just before reaching the base. The stripe usually has a very slight ‘waist’ halfway along, occasionally breaking into a double mark.
We will be offering multi-nosed bulbs, which increase well and will soon become an electrifying feature in your collection!
Zeus was bred from Wendy’s Gold x South Hayes, so it is worth pollinating with another yellow to see what you get!

Our first new miniature daffodil introductions for 2023, begin with AMBRIAL:
AMBRIAL is something a little different – the first of our hybrids using pollen from the fabulous Narcissus albimarginatus, of which I was honoured to be a temporary custodian, using its pollen on anything that would take it. Although few of the resulting seedlings inherited the hoped-for white rim to the corona, and then only as a pale rim, the main thing that they all have in common, and became the thing to check with each new seedling that flowered, is the wonderful scent characteristic of N. albimarginatus – not like any other narcissi that I grow, but rich and complex, almost rose-like. Unlike other daffodil scents such as the jonquills, I could happily be surrounded by their perfume without having to open a window or leave the room! The other character that alerted me to a probable successful hybrid, even before they flowered, was the usually swift increase in the number of bulbs.
AMBRIAL is the child of N. rupicola subsp. marvieri × N. albimarginatus, and although it did not inherit the white corona rim, it does have the wonderful fragrance. The golden flowers, usually 1-2 per stem are slightly nodding, with an overlapping perianth, and small enough to be classed as miniature for exhibition. Flowering at about 20cm high under glass, with upright leaves, it makes a fine container specimen. I’ve not attempted to grow it outside as yet, but both its parents are hardy. The name is an anagram of MAR(vieri) and ALBI(marginatus).
We have two new triandrus hybrids to offer:
GOLD BUNCH This has been delighting us with its scent later in the season in the greenhouse (although quite overpowering when the pots full have travelled in the car with us to shows). 
GOLD BUNCH is bred from N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus × N. fernandesii – a x incurvicervicus cross. As the name suggests, the flowers are a glowing, intense deep yellow, and slightly taller than its sister Lemon Bunch. Both sisters are floriferous and increase well, flowering in April. They are both classed as miniature for exhibition.
LEMON PARFAIT
If you like the triandrus hybrids, but are averse to the scent, then LEMON PARFAIT is the one for you, being unscented. The dainty flowers are seemingly made out of translucent crystal, icy white and cool lemon, up to three florets per stem, and 25-30cm high under glass.
After the yellows, come the whites!
The first of the new ones for this year is RUBY MORRIS, named after a dear friend and neighbour who died last year after fighting the slow but inexorable cruelties of Motor Neurone Disease, which eventually robbed her of everything but her spirit. All proceeds from this listing will be donated to the Motor Neurone Disease Association to help sufferers and fund research into the disease.
Ruby’s daffodil, which she chose herself from my seedlings, is an elegant little flower, growing up to 20cm under glass, probably shorter outside. The perianth is a serene creamy white, while the long, frilled corona is a slightly deeper shade when newly open, maturing to match the perianth, but with retaining a zone of acid yellow at the base.
IVORY RIPPLE is a seedling of N. triandrus var triandrus and N. cantabricus petunioides, and it was much admired at RHS and AGS shows this spring, Ivory Ripple being awarded a PC at Kendal AGS show. In colour it is a cool ivory, with the conical corona flared at the mouth and longitudinally rippled, hence the name.
The 1-2 flowers per stem face outwards or slightly down on 20cm stems, above prostrate leaves. Both varieties will be excellent for alpine shows, but the fairly long perianths make them slightly too wide to be classed as miniatures for RHS daffodil exhibits.
To show these new arrivals the ropes, they are supported by two of our rarest white, of which very few have been offered before.
MICA is a stunning division 2 miniature, opening with a white perianth and pale lemon cup, maturing to a pure white overall. It has excellent exhibition form with an overlapping perianth that opens perfectly flat, and has won many prizes for me. At 16cm high, it also makes a wonderful container specimen.
The last daffodil for this session is Brian Duncan’s PET LAMB.
A very important and historic variety, PET LAMB was awarded the triple honour of the Ralph B. White Memorial Medal for innovation, Best Miniature and Best Seedling at the RHS early show in 2007.
Pet Lamb is an extremely small white trumpet daffodil, flowering at only 5cm high. The creamy white trumpet flowers are less than 2cm in diameter, with a slightly swept-forward perianth, stained bright lime green on the tube. The corona is neatly flanged and frilled at the mouth.

They finish on Wednesday 12th and you can find the listings here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/dryadzny/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Good luck!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2023, 08:57:01 AM »
Our first listings for this summer finish tonight on EBAY.
Our snowdrop offerings feature almost the full range of flower types –
The classic beauty of our new autumn-flowering hybrid, fragrant DRYAD DUCHESS.
The cool virescent flowers of our new green, DRYAD SONATA.
The ever-popular inverse poculiform of our MYTHS and LEGENDS member DRYAD ZEUS
The super-rare ESTONIAN BIRD DOUBLE KAKK
Last, and in this case definitely least, the miniature Estonian green-tip, TILLUKE.

The daffodils include five varieties new this year:
A perfumed pair in AMBRIAL, bred from N. albimarginartus, and GOLD BUNCH, both multiheaded varieties to delight the nose.
LEMON PARFAIT with its icy white and lemon bicolour flowers, but no scent (for fellow migraine sufferers!)
IVORY RIPPLE, which was much discussed and admired at shows this year, with its rippling corona gently flared.
RUBY MORRIS, an elegant white gently touched with green where the corona meets the perianth, being sold to raise funds for the Motor Neurone Disease Association.
Keeping the new kids company, two of our best miniatures for exhibition:
MICA – a rare 2 W-W of excellent form and frequent prize-winner.
PET LAMB – the acclaimed, award winning 1 W-W from Brian Duncan.
You can find the listings here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/dryadzny/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Good luck!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2023, 09:42:26 PM »
In our ebay listings starting tonight, FOUR of our new introductions for 2023, including two new members of our Myths and Legends series of inverse poculiforms:
DRYAD HERA

I have been getting requests for Dryad Hera after showing images of a it few years ago, and am delighted to finally have sufficient stock to release a few bulbs this year.

Hera was the queen of the gods in Greek mythology, wife to Zeus, with whom she had a very complicated and stormy relationship, characterised by Zeus taking many adulterous lovers, and Hera’s revenge upon them. If ever there was a disfunctional family, this was it! Hera is best known for her quite understandable jealousy against the women involved, although often they were tricked into it by Zeus. Bafflingly, Hera is the goddess of marriage.

Our Dryad Hera is very upright in both her stems and leaves, and shorter-growing than Zeus at only 20cm under glass. In contrast to Zeus’s bold stripe, Hera’s outer markings are appropriately broader and curvier, with a pronounced feminine ‘waist’, which also distinguishes her from Dryad Demeter, whose outer mark is very smooth in outline.

DRYAD ARGUS

This unique little snowdrop is something quite different from our other Myths and Legends, a true eye-poc!
A deliberate cross between Galanthus fosteri x G. woronowii ‘Cider with Rosie’, it has a distinctive pair of eye spots on each outer segment.
It is named after Argus, who in Greek mythology, had many eyes looking in all directions, his all-round vision making him the perfect watchman, set to guard one of Zeus’s target females by the jealous Hera.

DRYAD ARGUS is a compact snowdrop growing to 15cm with glossy, bright green arching leaves. The upright stems carry the neatly conical flowers, each with the two ‘eyes’ on each outer segment.
The outers are spoon-shaped, with a long claw, and slight mucro at the apex, while the reverse shows a large green oval beyond the claw, broken by white veins and margin.
The shorter, triangular inner segments have a sharply defined, shallow dark green ‘bridge’ over the sinus, while on the reverse, this extends towards the base, gradually fading to white before reaching it.

The second of our new green snowdrops, DRYAD CONCERTO more closely takes after her mother, Eilys Elisabeth Hartley, inheriting the beautiful overall shape, similar to a crinoline skirt flaring out from the claw, sometimes likened to an old-fashioned lightbulb. The daughter, though, has a longer apple-green mark covering the apical half of the segment, with a narrow white margin and white spot at the tip. The long claw is shaded pale green.
On a warm day, the outers will open widely to show the prettily marked inner segments, which are almost wholly bright emerald green, paling just before the base, and becoming deeper around the sinus. The narrow white margin reaches inwards towards the midline just above the sinus, forming a ‘waist’, and separating out the different shades of green.
Dryad Concerto grows to about 20cm in flower, with broad leaves arching outwards towards their tips typical of its elwesii lineage.

The next autumn-flowering Aristocrat group, is DRYAD COUNTESS.
COUNTESS is the middle sister at 13cm in flower, and with leaves barely emerging at flowering time. The spathe is slightly shorter than the pedicel, and the ovary slightly more egg-shaped than spherical. The outer segments are slightly shorter at 20mm, and not so deeply ribbed. The inner segments are slightly narrower at 10mm long by 9mm wide, while the inner mark is usually two small triangular dots either side of the inverted V-shaped sinus, occasionally joined by a faint, narrow bridge, and a white margin. COUNTESS has the same strong sweet scent and vigour characteristic of the group.

Keeping COUNTESS company in autumn, is GALANTHUS PESHMENII 'MELVYN'S HOPE
Named for galanthophile Melvyn Jope, this is a rare variant of autumn-flowering G. peshmenii with pale green shading on the outer segments. The mark on the inner segments covers the apical two-thirds, fading out towards the base. Leaves very short at flowering time. makes a wonderful pot for autumn shows.

Our final snowdrop for tonight is the second bulb of the diminutive GALANTHUS NIVALIS 'TILLUKE' , about as tiny a green-tip as you are likely to find anywhere.

Our daffodils include FIVE which are new for 2023:
The latest addition to our MOON series of hoop petticoats is ERIS (10 W-W), selected for its upward facing white flowers with a particularly neat, pleated and rolled rim on short stems. The narrow perianth segments extend beyond the corona to give a starburst effect. The exserted stamens and style lend a cheeky touch!

LEMON BUNCH , at 25cm high, is slightly shorter than her sister Gold Bunch, and as the names suggest, the colours distinguish them as well. Both are fragrant, floriferous and increase well, flowering in April. They are both classed as miniature for exhibition.

As a companion to my daughter’s namesake, ‘Little Jen’, comes another x rupidulus seedling named for her best friend – LITTLE CELINE. The two are similar in height and posture at 15cm high and nodding, but Little Celine’s flowers are a reverse bicolour, with the corona paler than the perianth. As a flower for exhibition, her dainty flowers have already earned prizes for me.

LITTLE GOLDHEART stole a few hearts when exhibited this year.  From ‘Pequenita’ x N. rupicola subsp. watieri, it is one of several excellent clones from the same seedpod, including many nursery favourites. Growing to about 18cm, the upright stems bear single flowers only 33mm wide, a creamy lemon in colour, but with the inside and rim of the short cup a glowing deep yellow. A real eyecatcher and excellent for exhibition.

RIME is the result of crossing a large flowered triandrus with the plant I have labelled N. eualbidus (a very small, upward facing cantabricus type). Flowering at 25cm high, each stem carries 1-3 white flowers with a conical corona and quite long, slightly back-swept perianth. The bulbs have hybrid vigour and increase well.

Finally, a visitor favourite - PEACH TWIST is an eye-catching trumpet variety, 12cm high with white spiralling perianth and frilly trumpet that matures to a pale peach.

You can find the listings here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/dryadzny/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Good luck!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2023, 09:23:09 AM »
Finishing tonight on ebay:
Our DRYAD speciality snowdrops include two new additions to our Myths and Legends pantheon – commanding DRYAD HERA, queen of the Gods, and the all-seeing DRYAD ARGUS. Two autumn flowering beauties G. peshmenii Melvyn’s Hope, and the fragrant DRYAD COUNTESS extend the season. The greens are represented by DRYAD CONCERTO and tiny TILLUKE, completing a great spread of different shapes, colours and flowering season.
For the Daffanatics, and I include myself in that noble band, four new miniatures and a charming extra.
The two whites are:
ERIS, a compact, up-facing and neatly ruched hoop petticoat
and RIME – one of our new group of x susannae type hybrids, multi-flowered star-backed bells in sparkling white.
Our three yellows come in softer shades of lemon and primrose:
LEMON BUNCH – powerfully scented, multi-flowered in acid lemon.
LITTLE CELINE – a x rupidulus inverse bicolour with dainty nodding flowers
LITTLE GOLDHEART – stunning exhibition miniature with primrose flowers centred with deep gold.
Finally, a visitor favourite, PEACH TWIST, with its spiralling perianth and madly frilly corona maturing to pale peach.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2023, 08:28:18 PM »
In tonight’s listings, two of our NEW Myths and Legends series take flight!
DRYAD PEGASUS

This seedling, and DRYAD BELLEROPHON, have long been admired here at the nursery for their ‘flyaway’ outer segments, giving the impression that they are about to take flight. They have been named, appropriately, after Pegasus, the winged horse, and his rider, Bellerophon.

PEGASUS is one of the best-known characters in Greek mythology, having many adventures with his rider including slaying the Chimera. After being brought to Olympus, he was used to carry Zeus’ thunderbolts.
His snowdrop, Dryad Pegasus, spreads it’s wing-like outer segments widely, displaying the dark green inner marking in sharp contrast to the white margins of the outer segments. Growing to about 20cm under glass, the slightly arching plicate leaves are only half the height of the flowering stems, meaning the flowers appear to fly above the foliage.
The outer segments are twice as long as the inners, and deeply folded in half lengthways, while the side view shows the segments also curving upwards towards the apex, and a final flick at the end. The texture is waxy and corrugated lengthwise. The marks on the outer segment are a rich green, deep inverted U reaching to about halfway to the base, then a separate diffuse, apple-green central stripe.
The inner segments are not flared, and bear a deep green, sharply waisted mark for almost the entire length, except for a crisp white margin.

DRYAD BELLEROPHON

Bellerophon, in Greek mythology, tamed and rode Pegasus using a magic bridle, and together they had many victories exploiting the fact that Pegasus could allow them to attack from above. Unfortunately, his arrogance persuaded him that he should reside among the gods on Olympus, and his pride was followed by him falling off attempting to get there, which some might say was divine justice!

Dryad Bellerophon, his snowdrop, is similar in stature and demeanour to his steed, Dryad Pegasus, but the ‘wings’ spread less widely to about 45 degrees to the axis of the flower.
The outer segments are broad, softly folded lengthwise and uptilted at the apex, dimpled and corrugated in texture. The outer mark is an indistinct inverted U near to the apex, separated widely from the small, more diffuse and paler oval ending just before the long claw, which clearly reveals the inner mark.
The inner segments are shorter than the outers, and bear a double mark. The apical mark is a clear-cut inverted V, with a white margin around the sinus, while the basal mark is two diffuse ovals, usually joined by a narrow bridge, giving the impression of two fierce eyes peering out.

Tonight’s Aristocrat is DRYAD EMPRESS, and there is only one to spare this year.

EMPRESS is immediately different from her sisters, having green markings on the outer segments. It starts to flower at only 11cm high, at which time the leaves are about half the height of the flower stems. The spathe is strongly curved and more than twice a long as the short pedicel. The lighter green ovary is conical, barely constricted where it meets the outer segments, which do not have a strong ‘claw’. The outer segments are 24mm long, cupped and longitudinally ribbed, with pale green lines following the ‘furrows’ from 50% to 75% of the way from the base. The inner segments are 11mm long by 8mm wide, also ribbed, with a green mark covering the apical half, slightly paler towards the base, and a crisp white apical margin around the short, inverted V-shaped sinus. It shares the wonderful scent of the group.

A musical interlude is provided by DRYAD SONATA whose flowers are attractively bell-shaped, constricting into the long claw, with the margins of the distal half of the outer segments distinctively rolled upwards, giving the segment an unusual spear shape, or ‘quilled’ appearance.

The second DRYAD ZEUS, and the last G. peshmenii Melvyn’s Hope complete the snowdrops this session.

The daffodil offerings once more feature the fragrant deep gold of AMBRIAL and GOLD BUNCH.
To contrast, the serene whites of MICA and IVORY RIPPLE present a cool theme, with the ice-cream colours of LEMON PARFAIT.
Finally, the second RUBY MORRIS is again offered with all proceeds going to the Motor Neurone Disease Association.

Good luck!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2023, 09:01:15 AM »
Finishing tonight!
The flyaway duo DRYAD PEGASUS and DRYAD BELLEROPHON make their ebay debuts, and bring new shapes to our MYTHS and LEGENDS pantheon, a perfect compliment to the rest of the clan, and accompanied by their king, DRYAD ZEUS.
DRYAD EMPRESS, our new green-feathered autumn-flowering snowdrop, makes its only appearance this year, so this is the only chance to acquire this fragrant beauty. Two other greens complete the cast, our new DRYAD SONATA, and the last G. peshmenii MELVYN’S HOPE.

A full spread of daffodils include the multi-flowered deep yellow GOLD BUNCH and AMBRIAL,
while the ice-cool LEMON PARFAIT and the award-winning IVORY RIPPLE, cover the gentler colours. The two trumpets are MICA, a rare pure white division 2, wonderful for exhibition, and RUBY MORRIS, an elegant beauty being offered to raise funds for the Motor Neurone Disease Association.

Good luck!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2023, 08:51:17 PM »
The last of our new autumn-flowering ARISTOCRAT snowdrops makes her entrance tonight.
DRYAD PRINCESS
Flowering at 18cm high, PRINCESS is the tallest of the group so far. The flowers stand clearly on strong stems above the just-emerging leaves. The flowers are attractively rounded, the outer segments joined to the small spherical ovary by a short ‘claw’. The spathe is quite short and curved, approximately twice as long as the pedicel. The outer segments are 22mm long, deeply cupped and strongly longitudinally ribbed.
The inner segments are 11mm long x 10mm wide, with an apple-green mark covering the apical third, except for a crisp, white margin. The sinus is an inverted V shape. They are also markedly longitudinally ribbed. The scent is outstanding, sweet and rich, not honey-like. The bulbs are healthy and vigorous, increasing well.
DRYAD DUCHESS, although outranked by Princess, makes a pretty counterpoint being more compact and with a larger green mark on the inner segments. This pair will provide a sweet scent in your glasshouse in September and October, tempting in queen bumblebees looking to stock up on nectar for the winter.
Our Myths and Legends pair this session contrast well in shape and size – the flyaway flowers of DRYAD BELLEROPHON on taller stems, the outer segments flaring widely to show the eyemarks on the inners, while the DRYAD ARGUS bears its 6 eyes prominently on the outer segments, and is a more compact plant with green strappy leaves. This is the LAST DRYAD ARGUS for this year.
Our last snowdrop tonight is DRYAD CONCERTO, one of our new greens, this one a fresh combination of apple, emerald and deep forest green, with beautifully shaped flowers akin to a crinoline skirt.

Tonight’s daffodils offer an excellent selection of forms and sizes. Taking the tinies first, Dryad’s new introductions for 2023, reverse bicolour LITTLE CELINE and LITTLE GOLDHEART with its glowing deep yellow centre are sure to become exhibition favourites, while Brian Duncan’s award-winning PET LAMB will never fail to charm with its miniature white trumpets.
RIME sparkles with its star-like white perianth and bell-like corona sporting stamens like yellow clappers. Several flowers to the stem ensure a beautiful display. LEMON BUNCH’s multi-flowered stems flaunt the bright citron flowers with their heady scent, for interest later in the season.
Finally, our new little MOON series hoop-petticoat, ERIS, charms with its upward-facing, neatly crimped, bright white hoops with its cheeky exserted style and stamens will delight very early in the new year.

Good luck!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2023, 07:56:37 AM »
Finishing tonight:
The last DRYAD ARGUS for this year, and the first DRYAD PRINCESS both come off tonight. DRYAD PRINCESS was the first of our new ARISTOCRATS autumn-flowering group to catch my eye as they began to flower for the first time, so distinctive with its heavily corrugated outer segments and beautiful scent. It will be sure to be a winner for autumn alpine shows, as well as perfuming a greenhouse in September and October. She is attended by her sister, DRYAD DUCHESS in the listing.
‘Eyes’ are the theme for our two Myths and Legends ipocs – the all-round vision of DRYAD ARGUS, with a pair of eyespots on each outer segment, and the more covert peek of DRYAD BELLEROPHON’s inner segment eyes from behind the flaring outers. The final snowdrop is the multi-shaded green DRYAD CONCERTO.
A palette of white, primrose and acid yellow is the theme of our daffodils this session. The three whites may be similar in colour, but vary widely in the flower shape, from the tiny trumpets of PET LAMB, through the crimped hoop petticoats of ERIS, to the multi-flowered starry bells of RIME.
LITTLE GOLDHEART is destined to become an exhibitor’s favourite, with its signature deep yellow interior to the neat cup, edged and backed by soft buttery primrose.
Dainty LITTLE CELINE, has kept the charm of her parents, Narcissus rupicola and N. triandrus, and given it a reverse bicolour twist.
Lastly, the bright acid lemon multiflowered LEMON BUNCH, will give a splash of bright colour and powerful scent late in the daffodil season.
Two more listings still to come!

Find the listings here:
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/dryadzny/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 07:59:15 AM by annew »

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal