We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gagea species?  (Read 449 times)

Tomte

Gagea species?
« on: April 12, 2023, 09:25:43 PM »
Is someone out there growing some of the more delicate species of Gagea, such as G. pusilla or G. chlorantha? I‘d love to try them, but they seem impossible to source, certainly within the EU.
Tom S.
Upper Bavaria close to Munich, on 700 m

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Gagea species?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 08:29:20 AM »
"Gagea lutea," said the Hemulen proudly, "Number one in the collection. A perfect specimen."
Finn Family Moomintroll by Tove Jansson

The Hemulen has one more than me, but somebody must be growing them because seed turns up on the seed exchanges from time to time. (SRGC had fibrosa, lutea and mauritanica last time) fibrosa got an award at Westminster;
http://encyclopaedia.alpinegardensociety.net/plants/Gagea/fibrosa#top

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 09:26:17 AM »
Unfortunately I lost chlorantha (seed from Oron Peri maybe 10 years ago) but still have some fibrosa & graeca
Lovely plants but quite hard to source seed.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Akke

• I hope the bees like it
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 04:56:30 PM »
Gagea lutea grows near my place.

There’s hundreds of them on this small spot, probably the number of 100000 in the whole park is underestimated. Despite the small stature it’s really appreciated by many users of the park.
Akke & Spot
Mostly bulbs. Gardening in containers and enjoying public green.
Northern part of The Netherlands, a bit above sealevel, zone 8a normally, average precipitation 875 mm.
Lots to discover.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal