We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pond plants - health, feeding etc.  (Read 283 times)

brianw

Pond plants - health, feeding etc.
« on: April 02, 2023, 08:27:23 PM »
Hi. Silly question time. I have been reading up in general about ponds; healthy and otherwise, and keep coming across the term EI, but nowhere can I find what EI is or stands for. Can someone please explain.

Brian, SE UK
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Pond plants - health, feeding etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 08:35:23 PM »
EI stands for Estimative Index !  ( Well quite!!) Something to do with the nutrient balance in the water.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

brianw

Re: Pond plants - health, feeding etc.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 09:45:42 PM »
Thank you Maggie. Now I look a bit further it seems to be a sort of scientific Guestimate. Makes me wonder how we all kept Goldfish from the fair for so many years in the distant past, and then tropical fish later. I can't keep fish on my outside pond(s) here; too many birds around looking for food; although the Mallards that pestered us when we first had this pond seem to have gone. Only wish I could say the same about the deer etc. that decapitate or debark so many plants.

Brian
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal