Seedy Subjects! > Grow From Seed

Dodecatheon identification

(1/2) > >>

Leena:
I have grown D.pulchellum and D.jeffreyi from seeds and have mixed up the seedlings by mistake  :(. Some died last winter, but some flowered last summer, but I don't know which one this is.
Are there any differences in leaves or flowers in D.pulchellum, D.jeffreyi and D.meadea so that I know what to look next summer when trying to identify my plants?
Any idea which one the plant in the picture is?

Robert:
Hi Leena,

Here is a link to a botanical description of Primula (Dodecatheon) jeffreyi, a species native to California. With additional research you may be able to identify the Dodecantheon species in your garden, presuming it is not a hybrid. I hope you find this link helpful.

https://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/eflora/eflora_display.php?tid=98397

Leena:
Thank you Robert, :)
I will have to compare this with the description. It is difficult to find descriptions which compare species with each other and tell the differences which I should pay attention to.
I have fallen in love with Dodecatheon, and hopefully a white one will flower next summer.

Robert:
Hi Leena,

I am happy that the link might be helpful, or at least a start in the right direction. The Dodecatheon pictured in your posting is beautiful and so well grown! I too enjoy growing Dodecatheon species, however currently I am limited to the low elevation California species that are dormant during the summer and thus are unharmed when temperatures reach 43 to 46 C. These temperatures seem to be our new summertime “normal”. I will keep trying with some of our local native high elevation species. No luck yet. Dodecatheon are certainly well worth growing in our gardens.

Our locally native Primula (Dodecatheon) hendersonii growing in containers in our Sacramento, California garden – Spring 2022.

Diane Whitehead:
Photos of two species in Wildflowers of the Pacific Northwest by Mark Turner and Phyllis Gustafson:

Dodecatheon jeffreyi leaves look narrower than those of D pulchellum

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version