We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Spiders  (Read 435 times)

MarcR

Spiders
« on: March 26, 2022, 12:35:50 AM »
I was looking at the home page of the forum. Could someone tell me what spiders, on the forum, are?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 06:33:41 AM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Palustris

Re: Spiders
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 09:59:46 AM »
Search engine robots looking at the site.
From Wikipedia
A Web crawler, sometimes called a spider or spiderbot and often shortened to crawler, is an Internet bot that systematically browses the World Wide Web and that is typically operated by search engines for the purpose of Web indexing (web spidering).[1]

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 10:59:42 AM »
Eric (Palustris) is correct - these spiders are collecting info, often for archive material.
Usually, like most real spiders, utterly harmless!!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

MarcR

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 11:37:44 AM »
Thank you Eric, and Maggie.

I thought I was reasonably computer-literate; but this is the first time I have heard that usage.

I have always thought of them as bots or robots.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal