Specific Families and Genera > Rhododendron and other Ericaceae

Chimaphila maculata

(1/3) > >>

Nik:
Another wildflower that grows freely in our yard. Some are slightly pink.

Chimaphila maculata

Vinny 123:
Extremely attractive plant. Thanks again for sharing.

Maggi Young:
Super little plant, Nik - and one I haven't succeed in growing from seed.  :'(

Nik:
Hi Maggi, thanks for fixing the pictures.
I am sure you probably know all of this, but this is from pfaf.org:

"This species is difficult to propagate and grow in cultivation, mainly because it has certain mycorrhizal associations in the wild and these are necessary if the plant is to thrive. It is best to use some soil collected from around an established plant when sowing seed or planting out into a new position. "
"Seed - very difficult to germinate ... It is best sown on moist sphagnum peat. As soon as they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in a shady position in the greenhouse for at least their first winter. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts. "

I have never tried to propagate it myself. It self-seeds and spreads on its own. Our yard has very acidic soil and in general we have very high air humidity year round. It is in shady, dry soil spots under trees. I hope this helps in your efforts.
I will try to take some pictures of the seed capsules and seeds later today (they are all mature by now, I am sure; the flower pictures are from the summer). And the nice foliage. Will post later.

Nik:
I didn’t realize the seeds are so tiny!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version