We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Plant 'communication'  (Read 931 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Plant 'communication'
« on: September 06, 2021, 12:57:47 PM »
To my surprise we have no thread on plant 'communication' ;) but here's an interesting article on the BBC website.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

ian mcdonald

Re: Plant 'communication'
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 08:39:56 PM »
It is interesting Ashley. Having read the article it seems that the experts differ in their interpretation of "talking" rather than any form of communication. It was said on a TV programme that trees under attack from some source could communicate with nearby trees so that they could build a defence against the attack. We think we know all about wildlife but there is still much to learn.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 08:59:56 PM »
Agreed Ian.  The same thought often crosses my mind for example when looking at a frame of bees and all that's going on.  There's so much even about basic processes in nature that we don't yet understand.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

ian mcdonald

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 12:04:59 AM »
It reminds me of a question I once asked but could not get an answer to. How do bee orchids know what a bee looks like?

ArnoldT

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 02:23:07 AM »
Ian

The short answer is that the orchid  could care less.  An orchid evolved that just happened to look like a bee and it was more successful in getting pollinated so it passed along it's genes.  The ones that evolved and didn't look like a bee were not successful and disappeared.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Erwinia

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 08:46:15 AM »
yep, in each generation the orchid varyies some of the features which attract the bee. The ones that prove successful reproduce better than the rest.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 09:20:46 AM by Erwinia »

MarcR

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 12:30:17 AM »
The concept is fascinating.  Perhaps we will be reminded of the importance of non-verbal communication in human interaction; whether or not plants communicate..
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal