Seedy Subjects! > Seeds Wanted

Hepatica seeds 2022

(1/7) > >>

Guff:
Wondering if anyone wants to trade some seeds in 2022?

I have a couple plants, all are white. Want to get different colors. I did buy two packets of both types from this site, haven't arrived yet. They are in stock, so if anyone is looking for fresh seeds chilled in  USA
https://www.prairiemoon.com/search.html?Search=Hepatica

Have Crocus, Snowdrops, Cyclamen, Hellebore

Guff:
Seed packets have arrived. Thinking I'm going to make a new bed and sow outside and see what happens.

Gabriela:
It would be interesting to show if you can take pictures, how those chilled Hepatica seeds are looking Guff.

I never tried to keep them chilled right away after collecting, but I think Dr. Deno has tried to keep like this Trillium grandiflorum fresh seeds.

Despite what the above mentioned company is saying on its website, Hepatica seeds require for best germination first a slightly warm period (like it would happen in late summer/early fall) followed by a cold period (winter).

Your best bet is indeed to sow them right away. If they look dehydrated maybe soak them in water for a few hours before sowing (I have no idea what's inside those pkc., so I just speculate here).

If you would follow the Hepatica thread I think there is a lot of good info there.

Guff:
Sorry Gabriela , didn't take any pictures of the seeds. I did think about it(taking pics of seeds) , but they looked good as far as I could tell. Probably could have been soaked first, but I was in a hurry to get them planted.

Made a 2ft x 2ft, 1 1/2ft deep(1ft compost). I had dug down another 6 inches to loosen the clay and left it. Filled with screened leaf compost. Then a very fine screened leaf compost on top of seeds. Then topped it off with old pine needles, so heavy rains wouldn't erode the bed. Probably going to remove most of the needles in the Fall. I did mound up some clay around the bed, so it won't erode. Bed is on a sloped bank.

Gabriela:
I guess is as good as it gets Duff.
Don't forget to add a layer of leaves on top of it in late fall; it will help with the ground heave in the winter and early spring.
(I also recommend a mesh of some sort if you have garden critters around, they especially like to 'play' in  freshly worked soil).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version