We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cat predation  (Read 2654 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Cat predation
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 08:36:14 AM »
My wife Jasmin suggests giving them the numbers of local wildlife rescue and rehabilitation groups, and avian veterinarians.  Cats and dogs are predators.  Their saliva and talons or nails carry bacteria that are extremely toxic to birds.  Even when there does not appear to be a scratch, the bacteria enter the bird’s system, killing it rapidly.  However, if the bird receives immediate medical attention, there is the possibility of survival and return to the wild.

If you do not wish to remain on courteous terms with the neighbors, you could act like my wife:  Jasmin is a holy terror and banshee terrifying all cats anywhere around our area.  If she sees a cat, she goes after it.  She is the same with our neighbors and their dog:  she not only complains to the authorities, but she does yell at them to deal with their dog.  Her language is not subtle either.  She has not donned a broadsword and burnie.  Yet.
I also chase the cats, but even the elderly ones are faster than me. My gravel paths are diminishing as I like to lob a handful in their direction. The stones falling all around them cause a very satisfying, but non-lethal, panic.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

ian mcdonald

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 10:54:08 AM »
Try a cat-apult?

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 08:48:36 PM »
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal