We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Urophysa henryi  (Read 1095 times)

Menai

Urophysa henryi
« on: May 14, 2021, 10:41:59 PM »
I bought these on a whim also from Chinese Alpines. They have just germinated,slightly to my suprise. can anyone tell me what to do next? There is no help online that I can see.
Thanks

Erle in Anglesey
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Urophysa henryi
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 02:21:55 PM »
You may find more  info under  the  name Isopyrum henryi.    These  ranuculaceae are  ephemerals and so there  may be  an anxious wait  for them ti reappear  in Spring!

Plant Delights nursery  has  some  advice  : https://www.plantdelights.com/collections/isopyrum

and  it  may be  a  good  idea to ask Bjørnar Olsen  ( "arisaema"  in the forum) of Chinese  alpines!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 02:26:50 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

arisaema

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 02:35:46 PM »
David Shaw had rather big plants last year, you could try contacting him!

In general, think of it as a Paraquilegia growing in a warm temperate climate. Water from above shouldn't be damaging, C China gets heavy thunderstorms and rains in summer, and it gets hot in day time, occasionally 30C or more. Winters are generally mild, weather statistics for Xiangxi for the last 8 years gives a low of -4C in January. Winters in China have become a lot warmer over the last 20 years, so I would not be surprised to see it hardy down towards -10C, just avoid prolonged freezes.

Lisa at Growild is going to do an experiment with GA3, she didn't have luck in the past, so I'd be very interested in any reports on successes. The seeds look very much like Aquilegia, so we don't think they're ephemeral - but again, we have no data to go on.

Menai

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 02:47:00 PM »
Thank you for all that. I will do my best.

Erle in Anglesey
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal