We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium 2021  (Read 7235 times)

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
Re: Lilium 2021
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2021, 08:32:58 PM »
Glorious!

I would think it is amazing that they are all blooming the same year, even if they had seeded themselves the same year.  It's clearly not a size parameter that determines bloom, as they are differing in height and bloom count.  Is this common, Claire, if you get some years not so much bloom and some years a bloom "explosion"?
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

brianw

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2021, 09:33:09 PM »
I last flowered Cardiocrinum half a lifetime ago, in a pot; but don't I recall offsets are never as good as the "master" bulb and seed grown is the only "good" way to grow them? How long from seed to flowering?
My one and only visit to the west coast was in 2006 when I did a quick 1 week tour down a far as Eugene, after 2 weeks in BC, and that was in May; a bit too early.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2021, 07:24:36 PM »
Cardiocrinum height in my garden seems to be determined by fertility of the soil, coolness (shade), and water.  In the sunnier parts of the garden, some only reach 5 feet or so, while in the shade, they can top 14 feet.  As for how long it takes from seed to flower, I've always quoted 7 years.  But truthfully, since seedlings are everywhere (including pots of choice plants that they quickly overgrow), I don't pay enough attention to any one plant to know.

Yesterday our high temperature was 101F (38C).  The flowers held out until the late afternoon sun hit them.  Some perked up this morning but that glorious display is over.  Today's forecast is 104F (40C), and tomorrow's is 110F (43C).  Everything in the garden should be nice and crispy.   :'(
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Tristan_He

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 11:22:44 PM »
The lilies here are nice at the moment.

A nice white form of Lilium martagon. Some white martagons can be rather weak but this one seems quite vigorous.

...and a yellowish martagon - not sure if this is a named form or not. I find martagons a bit capricious, some years it makes a nice show and other times it seems to take a year off.

Tristan_He

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 11:28:34 PM »
Lilium nepalense. This is an odd thing that manages to be brash, elegant and understated all at the same time! It's also a real pig to get a photo of that captures it adequately. In the evening the flowers are heavily perfumed with rather an overbearing scent, and the petals literally drip with nectar (see last photo). I wonder what on earth pollinates it - bats maybe? Or some kind of giant Himalayan moth?

692093-1

692095-2

692097-3

ArnoldT

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 11:41:13 PM »
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Tristan_He

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2021, 08:32:48 AM »
Pollinated by bees.

https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Lilium+nepalense

I find that hard to believe Arnold. It certainly isn't attractive to the bees here, and the night scent and size and colour of the flower are all wrong for a bee pollinated plant. More seriously, it reminds me a bit of Nicotiana which are pollinated by long-tongued hawkmoths.

Tristan_He

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2021, 09:01:18 AM »
Update: Quick search on Google scholar suggests that L. brownii, L. primulinum, L. sargentiae and L. auratum are pollinated by hawkmoths. Presumably L. nepalense, which has a similar flower size and shape, is the same.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jse.12419

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10144-008-0097-1

https://bsapubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ajb2.1275

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2021, 09:54:35 AM »
Lilium hansonii has been scenting the air at the bottom of the garden for a few weeks.

Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

Neil J

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2021, 12:35:47 PM »
I suggest it is very presumptuous to say that any type of Lilium is only ever pollinated by a single pollinator. Every year many L. nepalense, L. auratum, and many, many more Oriental Hybrids of similar shape bloom and set seed in my garden. Whilst we do have Hawk Moths I also commonly observe Bumble Bees and several different birds visiting these flowers. There are many opportunists out there.

Tristan_He

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2021, 04:08:17 PM »
I suggest it is very presumptuous to say that any type of Lilium is only ever pollinated by a single pollinator.

I don't think anybody said that Neil. But certain flowers have evolved to attract certain pollinators. 

Bees may well be visiting your lilies. But most of them will fly to the nectary, have a drink, and fly away again without touching either anther or stigma, because the flowers are much too big to make bee pollination likely (one of the papers I linked to says that the flowers are often visited by small beetles, but that these rarely pollinate the flowers).  The large size of the lily flowers makes bee pollination very difficult.

Interested that birds are visiting the flowers - what sort are these? Are you in the UK?

Best wishes, Tristan

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2021, 11:26:35 PM »
The bees on my lilies are plentiful, but gather pollen and sometimes nectar (depends on the species of insect).  It's only the rare accidental bumping into a stigma that might pollinate.  I've seen it happen from time to time, but upon examinations have never seen any pollen deposited. 

Butterflies and moths, and (probably) hummingbirds are the major pollinators here.
692187-0
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Tristan_He

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2021, 06:44:27 AM »
What a great photo Rick (and a beautiful swallowtail - wish we had these here). Not much doubt about that one!

Best wishes, Tristan

kris

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2021, 04:25:28 PM »
In our area Lillies have started blooming.
Still very hot with record breaking temperature s and no rain.

Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2021, 05:48:56 PM »
...and a yellowish martagon - not sure if this is a named form or not. I find martagons a bit capricious, some years it makes a nice show and other times it seems to take a year off.

Martagon lilies have been flowering also here for a week. It is so hot (+28C) that they flower fast.
The yellowish one Tristan has is interesting. I have a bit similar, an old nameless variety from Finland. It starts as white but soon changes to cream and pale yellow. This is in the first picture.
In the second picture is another yellowish one, a nameless also. I got it last summer so it is still small.
My white ones are not doing so well, but still flower.
'Congo Capers' is a very nice dark red martagon lily.
'Jaunie Varti' is also my favourites, I bought it from Latvia some years ago.
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal