Seedy Subjects! > Seed Exchange

SRGC Seed Exchange 2021 - 22

(1/25) > >>

Carolyn:
Seeds are starting to ripen in the garden and I have just made my first collection of this year. Fingers crossed for a really good seed exchange next winter.
I attended an excellent zoom seed lecture by Diane Clements a few weeks ago. She gave a useful tip for seeds from spring ephemerals which really germinate best if sown fresh, such as Corydalis malkensis. Store them straight away in glassine envelopes (that’s the sort which the seedex uses to send out seeds) and they retain viability much better. Store them somewhere fairly cool - I use a cupboard in a north-facing room.

Diane Whitehead:
Cool might be OK, but not cold. 

Some early flowering plants shed seeds before the embryo has completed its growth and they finish during the warmth of the summer.  Putting them in the fridge can stop embryo development.

Maggi Young:

--- Quote from: Diane Whitehead on April 28, 2021, 06:30:48 PM ---Cool might be OK, but not cold.

Some early flowering plants shed seeds before the embryo has completed its growth and they finish during the warmth of the summer.  Putting them in the fridge can stop embryo development.

--- End quote ---
Indeed, Diane,  most  bulbous species in particular can be damaged by putting  too soon into the  fridge for storage.  In many cases the  enmbryo has  to complete its development once the  seed  has left the  plant.

Carolyn:
Diane, by cool I mean currently about 14C, rising to about 16C in summer. Not Canadian ‘cool’ which might be colder! I just wouldn’t leave the seeds in a sunny room where the temperature rises more.

I now have 2 packets of seeds for the seedex - the hepatica seeds are ripening too.

Tristan_He:
What is other's opinion of donating these type of seeds to the seedex? Generally I don't bother doing so because I think it's important to sow them really fresh, and by the time seed is distributed in January it's really a bit late. I never order them for the same reason (and also because I have had too many Corydalis seeds in particular from different seed sellers that I believe were probably dead when I received them).

Am I mistaken in this opinion?

Also wondering if we could use the forum to exchange Corydalis seed with each other?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version