We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cautionary tales  (Read 1308 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Cautionary tales
« on: January 30, 2021, 12:34:33 PM »
Cautionary tales..

Using hedge trimmers to cut back the herbaceous border 'to save time' is not always a good idea. Or at least remember the nice big labels you put in last year.

Don't give up on your hepatica seeds, or prick out the seedlings too early (I wait until 3rd season) - these seedlings are just germinating after 3 years!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Cautionary tales
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 11:16:12 PM »
Cautionary tales..

Don't give up on your hepatica seeds, or prick out the seedlings too early (I wait until 3rd season) - these seedlings are just germinating after 3 years!

It is good to also hear it from you Anne. Someone told me last year that some of my seeds just germinated  - in their third spring, and I said - hmmm....
Truth is I never kept a pot more than 2 years from lack of space. I wonder what would make the seeds to go in such a deep dormancy.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Tristan_He

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 11:36:36 PM »
What I want to know is how a 3 year old pot looks that neat. Mine always get a dense covering of mosses and liverworts, so that after year 3 they look like something out of Jurassic Park!  :-\

Carolyn

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 11:06:27 AM »
Anne,
Will you try to prick out the two more mature seedlings this spring, or leave the whole potful to grow on till next year?
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Mattb

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 09:46:54 PM »
What I want to know is how a 3 year old pot looks that neat. Mine always get a dense covering of mosses and liverworts, so that after year 3 they look like something out of Jurassic Park!  :-\

Ha ha hear hear!

That is encouraging, Anne. I was umming and ahing about whether to give up on mine after this, the second year. 🤞
Based in Northern Tasmania, winter minimums -12°c

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 09:43:01 PM »
Anne,
Will you try to prick out the two more mature seedlings this spring, or leave the whole potful to grow on till next year?
Good question! I haven't decided, but I'll probably prick them out very carefully - the new seedlings together in a different pot, with the older ones separate.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal