We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78169 times)

Carsten

Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 11:05:01 AM »
Carsten, japonica x pyrenaica is very impressive, especially the anthers. Probably it is better for the garden as japonica. I have a Hepatica nobilis var. pyrenaica x japonica in our garden that flowers well but it is sterile https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17578.150  « Reply #156 on: March 16, 2020, 03:22:32 PM »
Is yours fertile?
Dear Herman, it is the first flower, so I don´t know. At first glance I would say yes. I have some 20 seedlings of this cross and I will test them in the garden this year. Yours is a very good bloomer!
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Carsten

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 11:07:46 AM »
Carsten, that Hepatica transsylvanica is very early. Is it ‘Blumenstadt Erfurt’?
Beautiful picture with the snow!
It is 'Winterfreunde' and I edited the post.

Carsten

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 11:16:54 AM »
Here is the same plant before the snow in Dezember.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:22:01 AM by Carsten »

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 02:41:14 PM »
Another two white ones.
Hepatica japonica 'Yumegokoti' and a seedling of japonica x pyrenaica.

So beautiful both of them but I am very partial to the seedlings :) and to all Hepatica simple flowers with colored anthers.

And H. transs. 'Winterfreunde' is a dream! I raised a few seedlings, non-flowering yet; I hope the cold would keep them dormant when they'll reach flowering age.
How cold it is in you region right now?

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 02:45:59 PM »
It is 'Winterfreunde' and I edited the post.
Here ‘Winterfreude’ is still dormant. We have had the last two days  some frost (-3°C) but no snow. We are about 10m above sea level. Today there was some sun, but the temperature was to low to open some new  flowers.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 02:48:20 PM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Gabriela

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 02:46:09 PM »
No flowering is possible here, like Leena says at least until April outdoors.
So, we admire the foliage when possible :) Friday was a good hiking day: sunny, albeit quite cold. On slopes with enough light the snow is starting to melt.
Hepatica americana winter foliage.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 02:50:23 PM »
No flowering is possible here, like Leena says at least until April outdoors.
So, we admire the foliage when possible :) Friday was a good hiking day: sunny, albeit quite cold. On slopes with enough light the snow is starting to melt.
Hepatica americana winter foliage.
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Gabriela, very nice leaves!
Belgium

Gabriela

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2021, 02:59:23 PM »
Thank you Herman.
Most often H. americana foliage is marbled in exposed situations, although few specimens can retain green color, or have uniform reddish leaves.

I don't know what flowers these plants have; it is a hillside I still have to explore in the spring!  :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2021, 04:01:18 PM »
Gabriela, very nice leaves. Last summer I noticed some wild H.nobilis had marbled leaves in spring and early summer, but later in autumn they were even coloured. I have some plants that I will keep an eye on to see if they are marbled again next spring/summer.
Leena from south of Finland

Carsten

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2021, 04:02:43 PM »
So beautiful both of them but I am very partial to the seedlings :) and to all Hepatica simple flowers with colored anthers.

And H. transs. 'Winterfreunde' is a dream! I raised a few seedlings, non-flowering yet; I hope the cold would keep them dormant when they'll reach flowering age.
How cold it is in you region right now?

We had double-digit minusgrades for some nights, not below -12C. Light frost during daytime and the snow is melting in the sun. As autumn was mild, many Hepaticas outside started to grow a little bit and some even had flower buds coming up.

Gabriela

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2021, 07:12:08 PM »
Gabriela, very nice leaves. Last summer I noticed some wild H.nobilis had marbled leaves in spring and early summer, but later in autumn they were even coloured. I have some plants that I will keep an eye on to see if they are marbled again next spring/summer.

Leena, for H. americana only the winter foliage looks like this, the new leaves will be green. Haven't seen any H. americana with marbled leaves during growth.
Maybe some crosses of H.americana with H. nobilis var. pyrenaica or japonica cv. will have this nice feature.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2021, 07:17:49 PM »
We had double-digit minusgrades for some nights, not below -12C. Light frost during daytime and the snow is melting in the sun. As autumn was mild, many Hepaticas outside started to grow a little bit and some even had flower buds coming up.

Thank you Carsten, it is quite cold; even in our region when it gets below -12/-15C it is considered a bit too much (it can get even lower especially when we get into
a polar vortex, but not always happens). I am glad to hear H. trann. 'Winterfreude' behaves well at these temp.

I also noticed some H. nobilis and H. japonica with advanced flower buds when I put them in the cold frame. H. americana and acutiloba know better to be patient.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2021, 01:26:43 PM »
This year's annual national hepatica show in Tokyo has been cancelled due to the COVID-19, organiser said.  :(

Stay safe ;)
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

mellifera

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2021, 07:37:11 PM »
Unfortunately the hepatica show in vienna was also cancelled this year.

mellifera

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2021, 06:32:52 PM »
Hepatica japonica 'Hanaguruma'

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal