We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Looking for Strumaria species  (Read 1584 times)

Auricular

• My Haemanthus-group
Looking for Strumaria species
« on: October 01, 2020, 08:18:50 AM »
Dear Plantfriends,

I’m searching for the following Strumaria species.
Maybe someone in EU has bulbs to sell/swap:

-barbarae
-bidentata
-karooica
-leipoldtii
-luteoloba
-massoniella
-perryae
-picta
-pubescens
-speciosa
-spiralis
-villosa
-watermeyeri ssp. botterkloofensis

Thank you very much

Best wishes

Bernie

Auricular

• My Haemanthus-group
Re: Looking for Strumaria species
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 06:34:51 AM »
Still active  :)

Auricular

• My Haemanthus-group
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 06:50:17 AM »
Hi Forum,

I´m still searching for this species.
Maybe in the meantime someone has one/some of them available

Best wishes and thank you

Bernie

Vinny 123

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 08:30:02 AM »
I have not cross-checked your list against theirs, but if import from RSA is an option for you (they will provide phytosanitary), contact The SA Bulb Co.
Maybe send them your list and ask for comment about availability of spcies that they do not currently list?

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 09:04:28 AM »
Or https://lifestyleseeds.co.za
They currently list bidentata, karroica, massionella and picta.
I never ordered to this nursery, any feed back ?
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Vinny 123

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 09:52:45 AM »
So far as I am aware, Lifestyle do not offer phytosanitary, but I have not searched their website exhaustively.

Beware their search option. It brings up every single listing that they have ever had that fits what you are searching for. In many cases, most or all will not be in stock, many will not have been in stock for years (it gives dates for harvest for seeds and listings. It also give locality data for wild-collected seeds).

Seeds (and plants) are added to their list as and when available, so searching regularly is advised.

Standard packet contents is 100 seeds, but rarer species are packed in smaller quantities, which is obviously noted on the listing (but can easily be missed). So far as I am aware, they only use the RSA PO for shipping, which is cheap but very, very, very slow. prices vary from very cheap to horrendous - some offerings of 2-3-4 seeds of very unusual species are into the tens of USD.

Of the seeds that I have had from them, they are on a par with Silverhill, which should not be a surprise as very many that I would be interested in would be wild-collected by both companies.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 10:34:01 AM by Vinny 123 »

Auricular

• My Haemanthus-group
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 09:58:34 AM »
Thank you!

I try to find them inside Europe because of some reasons:

- South African Post Office is a desaster (arrives never or arrives after some months) and couriers are expensive

- Phytosanitary Certificate costs more than some bulbs

- When arriving in Germany from outside EU I have to pay 30-50 Euro for the phytosanitary import check

So its better to buy inside EU

:-\

Vinny 123

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 10:32:19 AM »
Most sellers in RSA do not use the PO, but i have had seeds sent via the RSA PO and they have taken ages, but been fine.
Phyto' cert's cost the same, within a little, everywhere in the world - around USD20-30. If I can't put together an order for more than something like USD100, I don't order. An order from SABC will cost around USD60 for phyto and carriage with DHL.
There is no charge for inward inspection into the UK, (most are not inspected - that is what a phyto' cert' is for), so it is strange that there is in D.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 10:36:06 AM by Vinny 123 »

Auricular

• My Haemanthus-group
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 12:08:40 PM »
There is no charge for inward inspection into the UK, (most are not inspected - that is what a phyto' cert' is for), so it is strange that there is in D.

In the EU every plant for planting and some seeds must get a phytosanitary check when entering the EU. (and every seed for sowing, every plant, some woods/wood products and every fresh plant material/fruit needs a phytosanitary certificate - exceptions are only 5 fruits: ananas, bananas, dates, durian and coconut)

So there are 2 checks:
First check in the country of origin for the phytosanitäry check and then the second check when entering the EU (document check, phytosanitary check).

This is how it normally should work.

I´m a phytosanitary inspector in Germany  8)

Vinny 123

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 12:26:18 PM »
Weird!!

Either the phyto' is acceptable from the sending country, or it isn't. If it isn't acceptable, why insist on one? Occasional spot checks on import would make sense, but routinely reinspecting on arrival?

That is a seriously strange list of exceptions

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal