We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aquilegia from Yunnan  (Read 1014 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Aquilegia from Yunnan
« on: July 27, 2020, 07:39:00 PM »
I have sown this plant from seeds collected in Yunnan Peacock Pass 4100m. It's leaves look a bit different from other Aquilegias I have, and I can't wait next year to see how the flower is. Can anyone identify the species from leaves?
Leena from south of Finland

Carolyn

Re: Aquilegia from Yunnan
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 10:43:49 PM »
Leena,
Those leaves look very delicate and special! They remind me of the leaves of semiaquilegia ecalcarata. it will be interesting to see what it is. Do post a picture when it flowers.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

arisaema

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 02:20:36 AM »
Looks like Aquilegia rockii, it grows on the east side of the pass.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 02:24:14 AM by arisaema »

Leena

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 08:14:10 AM »
Thank you!  :) I was hoping you would see and know it, and the seeds were from east side of the pass.
I have three seedlings of it, and I think they are big enough to flower next year. I will post pictures of them then.
A.rockii looks really nice, just the kind I like. :)

Leena

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 08:22:17 AM »
Those leaves look very delicate and special! They remind me of the leaves of semiaquilegia ecalcarata.

Yes, I also like the look the leaves.  :) And you are right that at first I thought they were similar to S.ecalcarata a bit but not quite.
Last year when the seeds germinated, they grew really slowly and I thought that this could be a very small plant, but now the leaves are bigger and when I googled A.rockii, it can grow to 50cm high. I think I have just the right place for it, but I have other Aquilegias also, and so I don't know how easily they all will hybridize..  it would be good to get pure seeds from these plants so that I can keep them growing even if something happens to these plants. Though I think they are hardy coming from so high place.

Leena

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 07:16:57 PM »
Here are pictures of this Aquilegia, and it flowered this year in early June. Arisaema was right:), it is A.rockii and flowers are just like in his picture.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal