General Subjects > Blogs and Diaries

Moods and Walks- Ponderings and Meanderings in Alberta

<< < (2/29) > >>

cohan:

--- Quote from: Maggi Young on July 23, 2020, 08:45:02 PM ---Super initiative, Cohan, thank you!
 I've  added  the  photos  in attachimg=   form to the  place  in the  text  where they are  relevant- I think it  makes  for  a  better "read"

--- End quote ---

Ah, thanks-- and here I was wondering why they weren't showing at the end as they should...lol should have read through, first...lol

cohan:

--- Quote from: Hoy on July 23, 2020, 09:45:06 PM ---Very good, Cohan!

You are certainly more poetic than I am :)

My grandma was fond of those "ridiculous flowers"! She had white, pink and red ones at the summerhouse. The white ones were like cabbage in size.

--- End quote ---

Thanks!-- Yes, when they open fully, those flowers can be huge, and that is without any particular care from me, your grandma probably treated them better...lol I think the species peonies are very nice.. ;)

John H. Beaulieu:
Good to see you posting here, Cohan.
I have not heard much from you on the usual groups. Glad all is well.

cohan:

--- Quote from: John H. Beaulieu on August 01, 2020, 07:55:52 PM ---Good to see you posting here, Cohan.
I have not heard much from you on the usual groups. Glad all is well.

--- End quote ---
Thanks, John-- my FB account was caught up in what seems to be a widespread phenomenon of people being blocked for supposed community violations but without any of the fun that implies ;) so, that account is gone! I have yet to try setting up a new one, but many people are not able to.... so here, twitter, instagram and the blog currently :)

cohan:
Scheduling and energy seem to be keeping me from doing a lot of walking about on the farm beyond the acreage-- ironic that I get out there much more in winter since a) I have to go out for firewood, then, and b)I am not tied up in the yard with gardening and mowing!!
I did manage a modest loop along one edge of the acreage and back around just onto the farm, through a wetland strip and then mixed woods.
The north end of the acreage is wet woodland, which continued onto the farm, followed by a fairly extensive mixed wetland area with more and less open areas. Wetlands here are often used for pasturage, but if not heavily grazed, they will tend to grow over with woody cover-- willows, birch, dwarf birch, tamarack (larch), spruce etc. This was the case in this part of the farm, and a few years back, my relatives cleared strips along the fenceline, presumably both to allow fence repair access and to open up some areas for grazing.
The short term result was not attractive, with brush piles with some sod/peat piled up marring the sight lines, and the ground looking scarred. Several years on, there have been inroads made by some weeds, but there are also native plants which were variously present in the seed bank or present as sparsely/non flowering vegetative clones in the shade, which have made a strong come back with more sun and openness. I'm swiftly running out of time for this morning, but will start getting photos posted from the walk, both from the woodland areas and this 'new' wetland area.
1- wet woods on the north side of the acreage

2- a grassy view of the wetland area-- mix of native and non-native species... I'm poor on grasses, don't have  a name for this handsome grass, not even sure whether it is native or exotic!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version