We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nerine 2020  (Read 11024 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Nerine 2020
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2020, 07:48:49 PM »
Brian  - I've seen this many times.  I even suspect thoroughly immature pods fall off when I'm deadheading, they mature & sprout in pots on the bench.

I sent a fellow in Oz a batch of Nerine seeds and they got there in 2 weeks BUT all had sprouted with leaves when the inspector opened the package.  Needless to say he destroyed the lot not only for being seedlings but also for the bits & pieces they had sluffed off in transit.  Sent again with less mature pods and we got lucky.

Maggi-Diane I certainly see the point & agree but would not give an elepidote rhodo truss that is supposed to be full, but isn't on the show bench, high marks.  I guess I'd have to see what Nerine spp. in the wild tell me. Sir Peter Smithers  told me when he sent the crosses to ignore any with less than 12-14 in a head.  We had a 19 and a 20 this year and they certainly were congested but boy did they sparkle in flower!

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2020, 08:11:23 PM »
Is this normal behaviour for cut flowers; are they self fertile?
Brian, see John Grimshaw's blog for the story of the old Japanese breeder who sent some flowers before committing hara-kiri. Of course the "What he had not bargained with was that nerines mature their seeds very quickly after flowering" does not ring true as an old breeder would surely have noticed that, so perhaps he wanted his friend to continue his work.

https://johngrimshawsgardendiary.blogspot.com/2010/10/not-only-pink-part-one.html
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2020, 10:06:04 AM »
...Nerine bowdenii... I cut them in several batches for indoor display. I was surprised than a good proportion of them formed seeds heads indoors, so kept them in water long after the flowers were over to see how many seeds I get. Some seeds are ~6mm in diameter now. Is this normal behaviour for cut flowers; are they self fertile? ...
Hi Brian,
I've often saved cut-flowers of nerines for the seed. There seems to be enough "food" in the stems to allow the seed to develop to maturity.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

brianw

« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2020, 06:04:04 PM »
Thanks everyone. I only have 1 one group, apart from a few odd bulbs in pots. My neighbour has several clumps with much wider  flowering range. Might get a few stems and see what I get.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2020, 06:15:15 PM »
Brian - Were you able to snag any white bowdeniis?

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gail

« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2020, 10:49:27 PM »
Nerine 'Annie Darling' - dense heads of flowers with that lovely chocolatey scent but the stem isn't strong enough to support the flowers.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2020, 10:52:16 PM »
Gail,
I've never noticed a scent in any Nerine.  Are many of them scented?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Gail

« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2020, 10:58:17 PM »
Quite a few of them actually - it is not strong but the ones I've noticed have predominantly had that sweet chocolatey fragrance that you find in some bearded irises.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

brianw

« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2020, 04:58:25 PM »
Brian - Were you able to snag any white bowdeniis?

john

Unfortunately not at present John. Very many years ago I was given a range of Nerines, but have moved house since and have just a few now. Parentage not known. Don't think it included a white. There are some odd mauve/pinks that do not appeal to me at all. Is there a good illustrated list of named forms?

I got this link today. https://www.cotswoldgardenflowers.co.uk/ (you should see a lot of Nerines but this is probably a changing link)

Brian Whyer, SE UK
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2020, 05:45:23 PM »
The white bowdenii I have is Edelweiss.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Gail

« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2020, 04:12:20 PM »
Nerine undulata
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal