We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Where I live, from the moon!...  (Read 17549 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Where I live, from the moon!...
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 09:38:52 PM »
Sorry, Anne, Young estates are like Ian; small but perfectly formed! There is a larger shot on page one, but here's a closer zoom, our house is the one in the middle of these three. Well, six, actually, three sets of semis, but we have both the middle two... it's a long story!!

Yes, Anne, that's us, and it is a cemetary, where the foxes live.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 09:53:03 PM »
Unfortunately John and Paddy the rafters are the roof of the garage when it was under construction. We  have a new greenhouse at the side of the garage (maybe Maggi can put a link to the earlier post). When we moved it it was just grass front and back, this is gradually being eroded as the borders grow. I shall be having a Jameson's  later Paddy, (the McLoughlin's originate from County Mayo).

These are the links you need:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5.msg597#msg597
and this page on old forum : http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/1078/42592.html?1162925533
Cheers,Maggi
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:15:32 PM by Maggi Young »
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2007, 10:17:09 PM »
And John 00Agent;  Geebo, also known as Guy, lives in Co. Tipperary, if I remember rightly!

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2007, 11:36:32 PM »
Good on you Mick. At last a man of culture and refinment on this forum, a man who appreciates the better things of life, a man who won't settle for the inferior products of his adopted country. And I could recommend nothing better than Jameson.

Anne,
Purchasing the extra land was a good move. I'm sure you have enjoyed it greatly in the intervening years.

John,
One year's seed etc. I find that when I dig a new bed out of grass area it is quite weedy immediately but that the density of weeds declines over the following years until after three years it reaches a level and then simply continues to have the blown in weeds rather than those which were present as seed in the soil previous to digging. Just my experience here. And Mary believes completely in this and has now banned me from digging any other beds this year. She says I have neglected the original part of our garden and that I must direct all attention to it this season. What can I do but please her. The new always attracts me but sometimes to the neglect of parts treasured over previous years so I am going to tame those over-exuberant plants which are threatening lesser fellows in the beds.

Paddy
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 11:40:07 PM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2007, 10:46:28 AM »
After the talk of BBQs earlier in the week we have decided to have our first of the year this afternoon. 

(How easy it is to plant an idea in my mind -I love BBQs)

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2007, 01:35:40 PM »
Not sure we should allow this heresy on the SRGC forum? Irish whiskey indeed :P
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2007, 01:49:11 PM »
Well, Anthony, I am inclined to agree with you, but I thought that if we allowed Paddy to build up a head of steam in his promotion of the Irish stuff, we could crack down on him later and make him buy us all a bottle to prove his point!! It's quite good enough for making fruit cakes and the like, after all!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2007, 01:56:37 PM »
At least Jameson came from good Scottish stock: Alloa, where the town motto is "Look Aboot Ye".

Anthony, if we ever want to make up an SRGC pub quiz team, your name will be at the top of the list. Thinking of changing your title from Bug Buff to Trivia Meister ! M
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 02:03:13 PM by Maggi Young »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2007, 03:25:10 PM »
Maggi et alia,

I'm cogitating - a suitable reply will come in time.

Paddy

Alpinejan

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2007, 05:17:23 PM »
 Hi Paddy,
You are a genuin Philosopher, and I like you for that, there are a lot of possibilities around the homepart of your Garden,really mouthwatering.Living in an area with  meadows that get absorbt by new houses and industrial disaster I liked the cattle surrounding your garden.I'll try to find the spot where I live and see if it could fit the Google focus.
Hope you are awake now, jan from holland

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2007, 09:25:34 PM »
Hi Jan,

Yes, I awoke, returned to consciousness and actually went out to the garden for a few hours in the afternoon, had a good walk with the dog when it became too dark to work in the garden - this is something I enjoy, going for a walk with the dog in the dark. Living in the countryside allows this, to get away from the lights of town and wander off through the fields. Even on moonless nights it is amazing how quickly one's eyes become accustomed to the dark and it is possible to navigate through the fields. The only noise are the birds which are coming to roost at that time of evening.

Re the cattle in the field around the garden - there is always the disadvantage that they will on occasion come into the garden and that they will always eat anything they can reach, so shrubs and trees get a little unintended pruning. Those in the photograph are cattle, bred for meat. Generally, it is my neighbour's milk cows which are there and they are a far more friendly and quieter animal and do less damage.

Looking forward to seeing your home/garden from google.

Paddy

SueG

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2007, 01:31:19 PM »
Great idea and fascinating to see other people's homes, sadly where i live there are no good photos I can find, all I came up with was a very small fuzzy blob (which the eye of faith would describe as my village) next to the big blob of my friendly, local, open cast coal mine.
Right, off to get my cloth cap and whippet and go and look at the leeks!
Sue

Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2007, 01:38:15 PM »
Sue, are you sure the small fuzzy blob wasn't your cat? She must leave the stove top occasionally, and may have been "snapped" outside!!

SueG

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2007, 01:49:17 PM »
The cat and her other feline friend both refused to go out yesterday as it was so windy! The sofa was much more comfortable so they stayed there for the whole day until I turfed them off so I could sit down after doing so gentle seed sowing.
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2007, 01:54:31 PM »
Thank goodness it is possible to do some tasks, such as seed sowing, indoors in this weather.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal