We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2019 - Robert's botanical adventures in Northern California  (Read 43795 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2019 - Robert's botanical adventures in Northern California
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 01:34:14 PM »
15 February 2019
1330 UTC

Hi Fermi,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Lately, I have been extremely busy. Recently, I too often have not had the time to follow the forum, as I like. Despite this, I continue my commitment to this forum diary and factor it in with the proposals I submit. I am making progress in this regard.  :)   8)

I was hoping to get out today for some field botany. It has been far too many months since my last outing. Unfortunately, the weather is not cooperating. There has been more cold air advection and snow levels have dropped again. There is always the possibility that I can visit a location at a lower elevation, however at this time, the rain is coming down strongly. This is not the best situation for photography.  :'(

I hope that I am succeeding in keeping the diary both informative and interesting. A lot of what I do can be extremely relevant to gardening and our gardens. Having an intimate understand of any given species and how they are responding to the changing environment can be relevant to gardening, especially if we wish to succeed with more challenging species. Climate on a macro-scale can apply on the micro-scale of our gardens too. Understanding sublimation or heat conduction in the soil are extremely relevant to the performance of plants in our gardens. How environmental conditions can influence genetic expression is very relevant to gardening. I hope that I am succeeding, at times, in making a clear and easy connection in this diary. Or at the least it is fun and interesting…

The bottom line is that I have every intention of continuing with this diary, despite getting busy at times.

Now to see what today brings.  :)

Stay tuned.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2019, 02:16:55 PM »

Despite pouring rain, sleet, and snow, I managed to get out and do some field botany.

While under a large tree I managed this photograph in the pouring rain. At the first site, the sleet and then snow blanketed the ground and the roads in less than 5 minutes. Not time for photographs! I needed to leave immediately before getting snowed in. Time to try a new site at a lower elevation. Despite the rain, I did manage to get something done and have some nice photographs.

I will have a report soon.  :)
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 04:05:45 AM »

This was the scene this morning at the Placerville farm.

This was the second measurable snowfall at the farm this season. The last time there was more snow at the farm was back in December of 2009.

It is nice to finally have some "winter" weather!  :)

February of 2019 is shaping up to be the coldest February since 2006. This February, I have recorded 13 snow cover days at the 4,000 ft level in El Dorado County, California (the county where the farm is located). I have not seen lingering snow like this in some time. There is the possibility of more snow on Wednesday.

The snow amounts at higher elevations are very impressive too. In the Van Vleck area of Eldorado National Forest (I visit this location often) there are 45.29 liquid equivalent inches of snow on the ground to date. On 17 February of 2017 (a banner snow season at the higher elevations) there were 56.46 liquid equivalent inches at this site. This is all good news for California.

My next day off is Wednesday. I will start working on the report from my last outing at this time.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 04:28:32 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 08:56:34 AM »
Lovely to look at Robert!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Robert

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 02:16:32 PM »
Hi David,

There was only 3 cm of snow. Later in the day the sun came out and it was mostly gone by evening.

But, I agree it was very pretty while it lasted.

Right now (1400 UTC) it is 26 F. As the Arctic air approaches California it moves over the Pacific Ocean - slightly. If the Arctic air remained 100% continental it would be much colder this morning. At least we are having real "winter" weather. The plants are benefiting from the cold (except the few tender species I grow).

In my last posting I mentioned the snow totals at Van Vleck in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. To put things in perspective, there was only 4.41" liquid equivalent inches of snow at Van Vleck last year on 17 February. Last year winter finally arrived in March and did not hang around very long. Especially in Sacramento, it was very easy to see how heat conduction in the soil was detrimental to species requiring winter chilling and dormancy. This will not be an issue this winter.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 03:40:25 PM »
Hello Robert,

Your weather is more winterly than ours at the time! As you can see of this graph the temperature this winter has (so far) been well above normal.

https://www.yr.no/sted/Norge/Rogaland/Karmøy/Førresfjorden/statistikk.html

In fact I haven't seen snow this winter at all! The few days it was snowing, I was not at home.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:46:23 PM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2019, 05:13:29 PM »
SOUTH FORK
of the
AMERICAN RIVER
El Dorado County, California

Friday, 15 February 2019

Weather

Placerville Farm, 1,460 ft. (445 meters)
Weather: Rain Showers with Sleet
Temperature, High: 45 F (7.2 C)
                       Low: 36 F (2.2 C)
Relative Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 41 F (5 C)
Wind: SE 3
Precipitation: 1.08 inches (27.4 mm), To date (starting 1 July): 22.16 inches (562.8 mm)

On Friday, 15 February I had an opportunity to get out and do some field botany. The weather during this time period was very unsettled, cold, and with very low snow levels. The unsettled weather began on 5 February with a very cold storm that dropped snow levels down to 1,500 feet (457 meters) in our area. The cold stormy weather has continued through today (20 February). I have to admit that it is encouraging to see low and linger snow levels. As of today, there is 8 to 12 inches (20 to 30 cm) of snow at Camino, 3,000 feet (914 meters) and 24 to 30 inches (61 to 76 cm) in Pollock Pines, 4,000 feet (1,219 meters). It has been a while since we last experienced lingering snow accumulations at these elevations.

Given these circumstances, it may have seemed imprudent to choose Traverse Creek as my destination for the day. The Traverse Creek area is at approximately 2,350 feet elevation (716 meters). I was likely to encounter some snow. In addition, the weather was unsettled when I set off for Traverse Creek and I honestly had not planned any alternative sites to visit in case I encountered undesirable weather. This seemed like a recipe for a folly.

So I set off from the Placerville farm under overcast skies hoping for the best. After a short drive I arrived at the Traverse Creek area. To my surprise there was only a few traces of snow on the ground when I arrived. There was also a brief rain shower as I prepared for the day. The rain ended as I slipped my hiking boots on and I was off to explore the area.

With all the recent rain and snow Traverse Creek was swollen with water.

I set off for one of my favorite sites in this area and started botanizing. California Poppy, Eschscholzia californica is a fairly common species in the Traverse Creek area. The rocky serpentine outcroppings and thin soils are to this species liking.

I must have been focusing intently on the plants, as I did not notice the dark rain bearing clouds that had quickly appeared over the neighboring hills to the southwest. A few raindrops caught my attention. I quickly assessed the situation and decided that this looked like trouble. Just as I started back to the Outback, the skies opened up with a deluge of sleet. The frozen pellets quickly covered the ground creating a hazardous hiking situation. At least I did not have far to hike.

The sleet slowed my progress back to the Outback, however I felt fortunate that the precipitation was frozen. If it had been rain I would have been soaked. As I arrived back at the Outback, the sleet turned into an almost whiteout of snow. Hum! A road surface covered with ball baring-like sleet and then snow. And then, where was the road anyway? Snow was quickly covering everything. It was time to retreat down the mountain and try planned “B”, whatever that might be?

For most of my adult life I have owned 4-wheel drive, all-wheel-drive vehicles. Although 4-wheel, all-wheel drive can allow access to sites in difficult terrain and provide a measure of safety that 2-wheel autos cannot deliver, they can also get one into deep trouble quickly if one does not understand the limitations. It was with this in mind that I slowly maneuvered the all-wheel drive Outback onto the road and slowly drove down the mountain.

After some miles I arrived at the small town of Kelsey. Here the falling snow ended and the road became clear of sleet and snow. I was very pleased with this turn of events, as from this point onward the road slopes into the American River Canyon. This section of roadway is very narrow, sinuous and descends steeply into the canyon. I was not relishing driving this section in a snowstorm.

As I began driving down into the canyon, I started to give some thought as to what might be a satisfactory alternative destination. Ah! Rock Creek Road was only a short distant down the road. I would give this a try. At the worst, I would have to deal with more rain or perhaps more snow.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2019, 05:17:48 PM »

It did not take long to find a location to stop and investigate the flora. The Toyon, Heteromeles arbutifolia, on the canyon slopes was loaded with red berries. The bright red berries were certainly attention getting. American Robins, Turdus migratorius, had found the Toyon and were feeding on the berries in large flocks.

As I set off, I noticed the first flowers of White-leaf Manzanita, Arctostaphylos viscida ssp. viscida, starting to open on the slope above me. This blooming sequence is not unusual for this area; however to illustrate how seasonal climatic variation can impact wild plant populations, consider the following. On 1 February 2018 both Arctostaphylos patula and A. mewukka ssp. mewukka were in full bloom on the crest of Peavine Ridge, 4,000 feet (1,219 meters) higher in elevation than this point. High temperatures were running in the 64 F (17.8 C) range with lows in the 44 F (6.7 C) range. In addition, there were 23 cm of snow on the ground. This year the Manzanitas on Peavine Ridge are buried under 1.5 to 1.8 meters of snow with high temperatures ranging from 31 F (-0.6 C) to 46 F (7.7 C) and lows 32 F (0 C) to 5 F (-15 C). The Manzanita species on the crest of Peavine Ridge may not bloom until March this year or even later.

I was certainly pleased to encounter many of my old plant friends. Small rosettes of Sanicula crassicaulis dotted the grassy slopes under the tree canopy.

Other than the White-leaf Manzanita, I found nothing in bloom. Many species such as Eriophyllum lanatum (pictured) had formed small mounds ready to move into active growth once the weather turns consistently warm.

The Gold-back Ferns, Pentagramma triangularis, were sluggish in their growth. This species is summer dormant and is generally in active growth during the winter season. This year much of the growth is likely to take place during the spring.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2019, 05:20:58 PM »

At this point a cold rain/snow mix started to fall. I ducked under the canopy of a large tree and watched the precipitation fall. I was a bit concerned that the precipitation would change over to snow, however the shower eventually passed without any sticking snow. At this point I resumed my journey.

On the canyon cliff faces I spotted many rosettes of Dudleya cymosa.

Each Dudleya rosette is different. Some rosettes remain glaucus blue-green while others discolor with various mixtures of pink and magenta pigmentation suffusing through the foliage during the winter season.

As I looked closely, the rosettes of many California native annuals could be seen waiting for spring to arrive. Pictured are rosettes of Gilia capitata ssp. pedemontana (lacy foliage).

Exposed sunny cervices on cliff faces were home to the fern Pellaea mucronata var. mucronata. This tough little fern easily endures extreme heat and drought each season without suffering harm. It is also an evergreen species.

Coffee Fern, Pellaea andromedifolia, is often found in a similar environment to Pellaea mucronata. This species grows larger and has larger leaves and pinnules. It too is evergreen and can endure extremes in heat and drought.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2019, 05:24:31 PM »

Bush Lupine, Lupinus albifrons var. albifrons, is frequently seen growing on sunny, hot, and dry south facing slopes and among rocky outcroppings. This species is appreciated for its striking silvery evergreen foliage and large flowering racemes.

Lupinus albifrons var. albifrons is easy to cultivate and long lived providing its growing requirements are met. A quickly draining soil and protection from slugs and snails is essential.

The developing rosettes of many other native annuals were seen. Eschscholzia caespitosa (lacy foliage) is one of two annual Eschscholzia species seen in our region. Both species are very attractive.

The annual Spider Lupine, Lupinus benthamii, is very easy to identify in the seedling stage. The foliage has a distinctive wagon-wheel appearance with long, narrow leaflets that radiate from a central point at the end of the petiole. Here it is seen growing with a tangle of Gilia capitata seedlings. This will provide a succession of flowers through the spring blooming season.

I enjoyed a long period without rain while I explored the canyon slopes. Eventually another wave of rain showers moved into the area. Despite the rain I continued my way down the canyon slopes to the South Fork of the American River.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2019, 05:26:16 PM »

On the canyon slopes I found Wood Ferns, Dryopteris arguta, growing in well-shaded locations. Eventually I reached the river, 990 feet (302 meters). It was still raining lightly and was getting late in the day, so I started back up the steep slopes to the Outback.

As I worked my way up the canyon slope there were occasional views of the river below. However, the high point of the hike up out of the canyon was the sighting of a Sooty Grouse, Dendragapus fuliginosus. This species is generally seen at much higher elevations in coniferous forests in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. This sighting was a bit unusual at this elevation (≈ 1,300 feet, 396 meters).

This outing was a bit of an adventure with a few twists and turns in the weather. Despite the challenges and less than ideal photography opportunities, this outing turned out well and I was very pleased with the experience.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2019, 05:52:12 PM »
Hello Trond,

Great to hear from you.  8)

The graphic is very interesting. Are the temperatures in the 10 C range anomalous for February?

Here we are experiencing well below average temperatures. Only one “soft” record low temperature has been broken on 18 February. At the end of the month I will work out the standard deviation for each day of the month, however a quick look at the data revels nothing out of the ordinary other than the one “soft” broken low temperature record.

In addition, it has been years since we last experienced consistent and linger snow at the lower elevations of the Sierra Nevada in our region. Tomorrow I will finally get out to do a manual snow survey. I enjoy doing manual observations as there are frequently important details that remote sensors and data recorders do not reveal. It should be a fun and revealing outing. Most likely everyone will hear about this one.  ;D
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2019, 07:24:18 PM »
Robert, for your information the record Scottish February temperature of 17.9C in Aberdeen on February 22 1897 was broken today at the small town of Aboyne, near Aberdeen, which recorded a temperature of 18.3C.

Here in Devon we struggled on 17C.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2019, 08:11:35 PM »
Hello Trond,

Great to hear from you.  8)

The graphic is very interesting. Are the temperatures in the 10 C range anomalous for February?

Temperatures in the 10C range is not uncommon at the south and west coast in February (the record highest is 18.8C from 1990). What is uncommon is the prolonged warm spell. This February seems to be the warmest for decades. Usually one or two mild days are followed by frost and occasionally snow.
Not so this year so far!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2019, 08:55:13 PM »
Hi David,

This is extremely interesting!  8)

Are temperatures more or less well above average in the whole region?

I just checked the 21 February 1200 UTC northern hemispheric 300 mb analysis. There is a strong jet originating over the eastern Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Morocco and southern Spain flowing directly northward to the central eastern coast of Greenland. Although the UK is not directly in the path of this jet, there is certainly warm air advection occurring that is affecting the UK.

Huh! The 21 February 1500 UTC GOES IR image shows stormy weather being drawn northward by this flow. I am not familiar with weather patterns in the UK. Has warm stormy weather arrived? Or is it forecast to arrive soon?
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal