We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Help! Deciduous azalea disease ID  (Read 1683 times)

svlarsen

Help! Deciduous azalea disease ID
« on: August 14, 2018, 05:06:48 PM »
The leaves on one of my azaleas turned brown. It happened in one day! The top of the bush looks untouched as far as I can see. There are no signs of pests or fungi, the leaves look smooth under magnification, just brown. Does anyone have any idea what it can be? All your thoughts, hints and suggestions are highly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:19:56 PM by svlarsen »

Anders

• InVitroOrchids
Re: Help! Deciduous azalea disease ID
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 08:43:55 PM »
My guess would be sunburn combined with very high air temperatures and wind. The leaves look similar on some of mine. It happened on a windy summer day when we passed 33 degrees C. Could the upper branches have been partly in shade ?

Anders

svlarsen

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 01:42:24 PM »
It is completely in shade, the whole bush. It grows under a big magnolia tree. This variety is more sensitive to fungal deseases than others. And every year it gets a kind of a problem that yes, looks like a burn. But it never covers a part of the bush. Usually it hits some leaves, even not rosettes. And it looks more rusty, the colour I mean. And what I see now puzzles me. It looks like dried leaves killed by the strong heat. As if the bush was too close to a fire. But what heat can come from under the bush? Anyway I have to live with it now. If it dies, so be it. I have a couple of young azaleas grown from seeds waiting for to be planted out in a garden with no free space in it.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 01:55:51 PM »
Have you noticed any physical damage to the dying branches ? Maybe some  bark splitting?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 02:36:26 PM »
Hallo Anders, can it be ,that there are dogs or other animals in Your garden? we often see in our grasgarden brown patches from the urin from dogs, especially in warm dry weather and to seen suddenly!
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal