We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: London AGS Show 15th April 2008  (Read 7095 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: London AGS Show 15th April 2008
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 04:38:37 PM »
Aphids ???  You disapoint me Cliff...

;D ;D ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 08:15:36 PM »
Did I say 'Aphids' Luc?  I meant to say; 'Amazing flowers'.  Simple slip of the finger!  ::)
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 09:38:26 PM »
Good to hear from you again John, don't go away. What a fabulous show this must be. The Farrer Medal plant must be at that most perfect stage for showing - covered in flowers yet many more still to come, as distinct from covered with flowers but some already gone over. It is truly stunning, and shows perfectly how a relatively common and easy plant superbly grown, can (and should) beat rarities hands down.

As we grow almost no alpines at all under glass and not many in pots, we tend to lift a higher percentage of plants for own very few shows but invariably they are much smaller and haven't the impact of these amazing specimens. Surely any of the AGS Angel's plants would be winners on their own let alone in company with their gorgeous companions. It's a real treat to see them all.

I'm also very happy to see that the Royal Bank of Scotland which owns the NZ bank which swallows my own paltry income, has donated a trophy for alpine plants. Maybe when I enter their portals the look on my face will be a little less sour than it usually is.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 09:47:34 PM »
Cliff, is that IT??? Just that little bit? How can you survive on that?  :o Certainly I'm wanting to downsize from our 2 acres but would like about half an acre. You do however, have a little space which could be used for troughs, if you were to get rid of the table and chairs. You don't really need them do you? in your climate? Mmm?  ;D ;D ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

afw

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 04:09:08 PM »
Exhibits from the above and East Lancs AGS Show are now on the AGS site. There are some wonderful plants on show, especially from Cecelia Coller and Ray Drew.
That's the one thing I miss living here. I know that there are local AGS Shows all around but the London Show, and Chelsea were special.
Alan Whybrow, late of mighty Sawbo, now in Belper, Derbyshire

Greenmanplants

• With Sparklers in November
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 09:00:24 PM »
I have added a few images to the AGS web site so hopefully some of you will take a minute to have a browse and add a comment here if you see fit.
http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/servlet/forumservlet?command=confirmcontribution&sitearea=forum&category=atshows#bottom
Cheers, John H. Hampshire
 England, zone 8/9

Greenmanplants

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 09:07:32 PM »
Sorry that link asks you to log-in as a member....which many of you are.

This should take to straight to view.

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/servlet/forumservlet?command=viewthread&category1=atshows&sitearea=forum&articleid=122&category=atshows

I am working on central committee to make the AGS Forum more open as I'm sure there are many benefits to be had on either side as most of us Plantaholics are members of many societies, SRGC, AGS, NARGS, HOS, NOC, BIS, BPS, Frit Group, Lily Group, Cyclamen Soc  to name but a few.
 England, zone 8/9

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 09:33:04 PM »
Did the AGS spring journal come out yet,? I did not get one and it usually arrives by the end of march. (Yes I have paid for 2008 last October) before anyone inquires.

Greenmanplants

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 10:12:48 PM »
Yes it did, although it was late due to changes at the publisher...change of ownership/premesis etc.

Any particular details different about your membership, that might differentiate you...I got mine a couple of weeks ago on the 29th March, which is when they should all have been received.
 England, zone 8/9

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 10:16:10 PM »
No, nothing changed,credit card payment  and same address but no journal.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 11:02:50 PM »
If anyone was expecting a reply-in-kind from Mr Ranunculus, to my rude one about the English climate. they'll have to wait for it. I happen to know that lucky man is off on holiday AGAIN!!! to Italy this time I think. ::)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 11:24:33 PM »
Just had a look through John's link, at the stunning plants at the London show. They are incredible and if you haven't already done so, you MUST have a little trip down that particular lane.

David, you will love David Philbey's primulas, from the auricula group. I suppose these are of his own breeding? And I was thrilled to see a fine plant of Epimedium davidii which I was able to buy here recently. But so many gems that it is impossible to pick out any single favourite.

A note though. As I mentioned below John's AGS posting, I came to this show via his link above, on the Forum. The AGS site is excellent but somehow I don't think of a daily visit there as I inevitably do, here. The reason can only be the wonderful informality and genuine friendliness of all the posters here, and the moderators' tolerance of all the banter, mostly unrelated to gardening subjects. While the other is a great site for alpines, this site is like being in the middle of a great big family reunion.

Greenmanplants

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 07:16:49 AM »
Thanks Lesley, I think you've just about hit the nail on the head with those comments.  The two sites will always have different atmospheres.  I'm trying to soften the AGS one but I doubt it will ever reach the open friendliness found here, hence the daily browse that so many do.  There will be a Chelsea Diary there next month as we start the build and work through 10th to 25th May as we did last year.  Hopefully there will be other benefits to warrant an occasional excursion South of the border!
I certainly intend a more regular visit North than I have since the new forum started.
 England, zone 8/9

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 08:56:02 AM »
If anyone was expecting a reply-in-kind from Mr Ranunculus, to my rude one about the English climate. they'll have to wait for it. I happen to know that lucky man is off on holiday AGAIN!!! to Italy this time I think. ::)

Any rude comments about the English climate are completely justified at present - it's cold, wet and miserable and has been for the first two weeks in April (of course I have no comments on the Scottish version ;) )
As for Mr (globetropping) Ranunculus, it's Crete, to be precise, off on an orchid spree, I believe.  I think there just MAY be some pictures for us on his return   ;D
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 09:15:07 AM »
Whats the little Clematis in image LAGS 2008_0787 6 Pan RBS Trophy
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal