We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Saxifraga stolonifera  (Read 342 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Saxifraga stolonifera
« on: November 24, 2023, 05:46:53 PM »
In conversation with Adrian Young, the Saxifraga Register, he asked  if I  know if S. stolonifera survives in Scotland, maybe on the west coast?

He tells me he has struggled with it at Waterperry mainly because he has no real shade, in the wild it’s a woodland plant.

Who  do you know who is growing this plant outside - in Scotland or elsewhere?  Let us know - how and where you are succeeding with it.

Sax. stolonifera  - grown by Shelagh and Brian Smethurst in a shady border in Bury. Shown in the Forum in 2021

« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 05:50:50 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carolyn

Re: Saxifraga stolonifera
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 04:33:41 PM »
Yes, it grows like a weed in my garden, in shade or semi-shade, damp or dry. Lovely plant! Growild Nursery over in Cumnock has several nice leaf forms too.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

MarcR

Re: Saxifraga stolonifera
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 03:56:31 AM »
In conversation with Adrian Young, the Saxifraga Register, he asked  if I  know if S. stolonifera survives in Scotland, maybe on the west coast?

He tells me he has struggled with it at Waterperry mainly because he has no real shade, in the wild it’s a woodland plant.

Who  do you know who is growing this plant outside - in Scotland or elsewhere?  Let us know - how and where you are succeeding with it.

(Attachment Link)

Maggi,

You might suggest that he can make his own shade by pulling the bottom out of a discarded draw and stretching shade cloth over it.
Sax. stolonifera  - grown by Shelagh and Brian Smethurst in a shady border in Bury. Shown in the Forum in 2021
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal