We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trilliums from seed  (Read 8891 times)

GordonT

Re: Trilliums from seed
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2021, 03:32:53 PM »
Veronique, Any pots of seed without any seedlings showing, may still germinate. I would advise sowing seeds in pots that then get sunk in your garden (without any special protection) for the winter. I did this with extra seed I had of Trillium undulatum, and now I have a new challenge on my hands, how to separate a "Lawn" of Trillium seedlings (photo was from last year).
686100-0

It is even more crowded this year, so I will have to try and give the plants some space.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2021, 06:50:12 AM »

Oh ! amazing Gordon!   ;D it's all a small lawn ...

Yann, do you manage to germinate and cultivate Trilliums at home?

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2021, 07:33:27 AM »
Yann, do you manage to germinate and cultivate Trilliums at home?

Yes i've few ones in the garden for many years, i mostly sown for friends or swap but i don't keep seedlings. Sadely the garden can't extend itself. I let the pots outside, north facing without any protection and germination occurs in 2 seasons. T. rivale is usually the first one in less than 14-15 motnhs. Fresh seeds i was given were put in frigo in plastics bags+vermiculite for 2 months and then sown in october while it's still warm. They need 2 cycles cold/warm. Slugs can kill full pot in one night, that's my main problem otherwise like paeonies it's just a question of time but it's not complicated.
North of France

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal