We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald  (Read 127199 times)

ian mcdonald

Re: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald
« Reply #945 on: January 20, 2021, 01:17:51 PM »

Rhizocarpon geographicum.

Porpidia crustulata and Rhizocarpon reductum.

Cladonia pyxidata.

Peltigera membranacea.

Cladonia rangiformis.

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #946 on: January 20, 2021, 07:03:09 PM »
Ian

Thoroughly enjoying your close-up photography of lichens, thanks for sharing.

I'm using the excellent FSC laminated sheets to identify 'lichens on twigs'  https://www.summerfieldbooks.com/product/key-to-lichens-on-twigs-fsc-fold-out-chart/ (see also  https://www.summerfieldbooks.com/product-category/field-studies-council-2/charts/)
in the back wood as part of an activity to keep me occupied (but out of the house, since I'm working from home) over the weekends. Also been collecting galls and noting fungi on trees. It doesn't beat looking at flowering bulbs but...…;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 07:07:26 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #947 on: January 21, 2021, 12:38:36 PM »
There,s always something of interest in the countryside, if it,s in walking distance.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #948 on: January 22, 2021, 07:58:24 PM »
The first image on this page -Rhizocarpon geographicum- at first looked to me like fabric!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #949 on: January 22, 2021, 08:41:41 PM »
The first image on this page -Rhizocarpon geographicum- at first looked to me like fabric!
That was my thought too! It's extraordinary stuff - thanks to Ian for these  terrifically  clear  photos!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcdonald

« Reply #950 on: January 22, 2021, 10:05:24 PM »
It,s one of the few lichen names I remember, Map Lichen, because it looks a bit like a map.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #951 on: January 25, 2021, 10:11:47 PM »
During a short walk yesterday I flushed a Heron from a small stream. It flew off a short distance then settled again. Lichens are fascinating when looked at close up. They are colourful and come in a variety of shapes.

Walking along the river bank I noticed a Dipper on a rock. It kept diving into the river so there must be a supply of larvae? in the river. I heard several "plops" in the water and thought it was too early for fish to be jumping. It turned out that there was a trickle of water down the opposite cliff face which was washing stones into the river.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #952 on: January 30, 2021, 09:37:07 PM »
During walks over the last few days I have seen a variety of wildlife, despite the cold weather and time of year. On a small birch tree I found several examples of Birch Jelly fungus, Exidia repanda.

Several days later I thought I would look for the close relative, Willow Jelly, Exidia recisa.

At another location I was looking for lichens on trees and noticed an orange fungus in cracks in the bark. This turned out to be Phlebia radiata, Wrinkled Crust.

Two lichens seen along the river bank were Ramalina fastigiata?

and Ramalina farinacea?

ian mcdonald

« Reply #953 on: January 30, 2021, 09:46:08 PM »
On another day I went along the disused railway and on to the river bank. There was a small flock of birds feeding in a field of stubble. Most of the birds were chaffinch with yellowhammer. Sitting on a hedge was a female Reed Bunting.

As I was walking along the river bank a mostly white duck flew past. Later I saw the bird at the far side of the river. It was a Golden-eye.

Also on the river, at a distance were three female and one male Goosander? I did not manage to get a positve id. as they were too far away.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 08:47:11 PM by Maggi Young »

ian mcdonald

« Reply #954 on: February 03, 2021, 08:26:34 PM »
We have had a bit of snow in the village, about 1". Further up the hill there is about 5". It has not stopped mountain bikers from riding the tracks. The golf course is un-playable. I saw several Chanterelle in a sheltered spot.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #955 on: February 04, 2021, 07:00:55 PM »
Great views!

ian mcdonald

« Reply #956 on: February 11, 2021, 03:57:55 PM »
Local records last night were minus 13C. Blue sky and sun today but cold. A walk along the river and I saw that there were sheets of ice next to the bank. With fresh snow on the ice it looked liked solid ground. Among the birds seen were woodcock, goldeneye, goosander? heron, yellowhammer, great tit, blue tit, chaffinch, wren, blackbird, robin, mallard and rooks.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #957 on: February 12, 2021, 07:21:07 PM »
Wintry everywhere! Still open water for the birds, at least.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #958 on: February 20, 2021, 08:38:46 PM »
Cold winds have been a feature this week. A walk along the river, which is running fast with the snow melt, saw several clumps of snowdrop. They were just coming into flower.

Another walk to a pine wood where someone has installed a good number of bird feeders was interesting. Many birds were coming down to feed, mostly chaffinchs and coal tits. Great Spotted Woodpeckers are also there.

Squirrels are visitors and this one seemed to keep watch while feeding.

Tree creepers are regularly seen, working their way around the trees, probing for insects in the bark.

Among the chaffinchs I thought I saw a Brambling but it grabbed food and then disappeared into the canopy of the pines. I went back the following day and sat in a shelter someone has erected and was rewarded with better views. The finch flocks are worth looking at in case less common birds are with them in Winter.

Birds seen include, chaffinch, greenfinch, robin, great tit, blue tit, long tailed tit, coal tit, tree creeper, great spotted woodpecker, brambling and goosander on the river.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #959 on: February 20, 2021, 09:12:44 PM »
Ian,

I have no idea  ???  Are the snowdrops native to your area or are they naturalized?

You get fantastic photographs of the wildlife!  8)  I enjoy seeing the close-ups of the birds.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal