We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald  (Read 127644 times)

ian mcdonald

Re: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald
« Reply #885 on: October 03, 2020, 12:02:12 PM »
A male and a female marsh harrier were flying together. Pink Footed Geese were making a noise as they moved from one area to another, settling down on to large pools of water. Several Stonechats were flitting from one bush to another as we approached. Always perching at the very top. As we were walking past a clump of tall reeds we heard, but did not see, a Bearded Tit calling. They feed on the seed heads but often drop down near the bottom of the reeds when we get near. My colleague heard a Chiff Chaff calling and also Redpolls. They are beyond my range of hearing unless they are close. We saw eleven Small Coppers, as good a number as we would find during a summers day. Jackdaws were heard calling. On the second day we went along a path which is sheltered by Birch on one side and Willows by a Warping Drain, at the other side. When the sun is out this path is a good area for insects which can be found on Tansy, Bramble, Burdock, Mugwort, Nettle, Birch and Willow. We found a few Harlequin Ladybirds in a variety of patterns as well as native species in variety.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #886 on: October 03, 2020, 12:24:43 PM »
A Smooth Newt was slowly making its way across the track.

My colleague found a Hornet on a Birch tree. Not something you would want to upset.

Also seen was a Hawthorn Shield Bug, Acanthosoma haemorrhoidale.

A gall on a rose was Smooth Pea Gall, probably caused by a species of Wasp, Diplolepis sp.

There were quite a few Birch Catkin Bugs, Kleidocerys resedae, on a variety of plants. This one was on a fence with a Ladybird.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #887 on: October 03, 2020, 12:50:34 PM »
A similar shield bug to the Hawthorn is Birch Shield Bug, Elasmostethus intersinctus.

A Drinker caterpillar was on the top of a fence.

Also on the fence was a grey Lichen which was a host to a minute pink fungi, Illosporiopsis christiansenii.

Birds on both days were, jay, pigeon, skylark, stonechat, buzzard, jackdaw, kestrel, marsh harrier, bearded tit, lapwing, starling, pink foot geese, chiff chaff, reed bunting, pheasant, crow, redpoll, meadow pipit, wren, blackbird, robin, cettis warbler, mallard, teal, wigeon, shoveler, chaffinch, willow tit, blue tit, great tit, fieldfare, siskin, goldcrest, great spotted woodpecker, green woodpecker,bullfinch, long tailed tit and coal tit.
My colleague also saw a kingfisher.
Autumn is upon us as it was the first day of October and we saw nine Fieldfare and heard two red deer roaring.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #888 on: October 03, 2020, 07:05:56 PM »
Wonderful variety of sightings and hearings! I enjoy seeing true 'bugs' interesting looking things.. I usually see some on seed capsules of certain plants, but even when they are numerous, there are still lots of seeds left. Oddly, though I have lots of butterflies on the acreage, I rarely see caterpillars.. my only theory is that the density of birds in here limits the caterpillars!

ian mcdonald

« Reply #889 on: October 08, 2020, 09:34:13 PM »
Today was dull and cold after rain. I met my colleague on site and we went to look at tree clearance taking place in one area. After that we looked at old birch logs for fungi. My colleague will be identifying those he can from his library. Several he already knew. We saw a great spotted woodpecker flying over and heard a green woodpecker calling. A snipe flew up from dense heather in one area. Skylarks and meadow pipits were chasing about in small groups. My colleague heard a chiff chaff and a group of lesser redpoll. Jays were seen in different areas but we don,t know if they were the same ones moving about. My colleague heard a curlew calling. Somewhere a buzzard was calling but we were in fairly heavy birch woodland with a limited view. A coal tit and goldcrests were heard in birch scrub. This is probably my last report from this unique site. After living in the same home I am leaving for another area. I have mixed feelings. The site is special, with such a variety of wildlife that there is always something of interest seen on a visit. I look forward to looking for wildlife in the "new" area and perhaps reporting my sightings from there. Thanks to everyone who has followed the reports over the years.

Alder Leaf Beetle.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #890 on: October 08, 2020, 09:42:57 PM »

Purple Jelly Disc.

A species of Russula.

Birds today were, skylark, meadow pipit, reed bunting, chiff chaff, snipe, jay, stonechat, lapwing, lesser redpoll, great spotted woodpecker, green woodpecker, curlew, buzzard, long tailed tit, coal tit, goldcrest, marsh harrier, pheasant, crow and wood pigeon.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #891 on: October 08, 2020, 09:50:52 PM »
Sorry to hear you are moving, Ian. Hope your new area will turn out to be a good one!

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #892 on: October 08, 2020, 10:00:41 PM »
I hope  you  will be  very  happy  in your  new  home, Ian - and  find  a new  patch to report  on and enjoy  exploring.
Your  reports here over the  years have  certainly  been most  enlightening and  informative - THANK YOU!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #893 on: October 11, 2020, 02:02:15 AM »
Ian,

It is disappointing to hear that you are moving and will no longer be reporting about your site. I hope you find your new territory fruitful. Your reports are fantastic!  8)

May you find good fortune at your new home.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #894 on: October 22, 2020, 05:17:14 PM »
I am in temporary  accommodation until I find a permanent home of my own. Meanwhile, here are some views of the area.

Always known as primrose bay, it is now called cove bay.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #895 on: October 22, 2020, 05:21:41 PM »
Further along the coast the river is high.

Trees are being washed out to sea.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #896 on: October 22, 2020, 05:26:05 PM »
You had  me  going  for  a  minute, there, Ian - there's a  Primrose/Cove  Bay  up in Moray - but  I'm guessing you're  on the  South Coast- Devon way somewhere?

ian mcdonald

« Reply #897 on: October 22, 2020, 05:30:28 PM »
You were right first time Maggi. It,s where my Dad came from and we always spent our summer holidays here.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #898 on: October 22, 2020, 05:35:21 PM »
Hello Ian,

If you are like me, leaving your site could be a disappointment. ...but it looks like there could be new and very interesting possibilities for you. I hope the best for you and keep us posted to your new adventures (if possible).
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #899 on: October 22, 2020, 07:16:39 PM »
You were right first time Maggi. It,s where my Dad came from and we always spent our summer holidays here.
Oh wow! That's  terrific- welcome  back!!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal