We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald  (Read 125505 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald
« Reply #450 on: September 20, 2018, 01:37:28 PM »
Hi Ian,

If I remember correctly from past postings, this site was highly exploited of its natural resources. When conservation efforts began it was highly degraded? It appears that nature is transforming it into something new and beautiful. Clearly it is a haven for birds, both migratory and year round residents. I frequently read something about a new record, i.e. a new species has taken up residence at the site? It sounds like a great success story. It also appears that many folks take an interest in the site and you frequently encounter botanist, naturalist, etc. at the site. Are all these folks volunteers? Whatever is going on out there it sounds very encouraging. Thank you for the reports.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:39:48 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #451 on: September 20, 2018, 02:54:13 PM »

Devils Bit Scabious is spreading along the main track.

A late Small Copper.

Speckled Wood.

Black Horehound, Ballota nigra.

Wood Small Reed, Calamagrostis epigejos.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #452 on: September 20, 2018, 03:21:07 PM »

Round Leaved Sundew, showing next years leaf buds?

Gall on willow, Salix aurita, or hybrid. Possibly caused by the midge Rabdophaga salicis.

Robert, yes, the site was degraded by peat removal in the past. The site is so large that peat removal was done in stages. Firstly by hand digging. This slow process allowed areas to recover and species to re-colonise the worked areas. Mechanised peat removal turned vegetated areas into brown deserts, although this was at first on a fairly small scale. Larger areas were worked by "peat milling" in the 1980s for about 20 years. In some areas all the vegetation was removed and large scale drainage took place to allow the surface to be scraped down a few centimetres per year. Many species survived on the older areas and still do to this day. The areas that were cleared of vegetation have now been colonised by cottongrass, heather etc. and the succession of plants is continuing. It will take many years before the whole site resembles something of what it was before mans destruction. Due to the raised tracks and many drainage ditches across the site a myriad of extra habitats have been created. This in turn has provided extra habitats for colonising species of all kinds. Most of the naturalists that visit the site do so as an interest and are providing invaluable records of the flora and fauna. Also, Universities use the site for students studies and much useful information is gathered as a result. Another good reason for visiting the site is that it is a good distance from the built environment (except that governments have allowed the site to be surrounded by wind farms, creating an industrial landscape).

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #453 on: September 20, 2018, 03:43:34 PM »
In this hot and  dry summer many "Hornets" are in my garden and eat many of my fruits. At the end of the sommer I saw Hornissen, who damaged Fraxinus trees by eating the bark of the tree! Has any other seen this phänomen also, I saw it first time!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 03:47:21 PM by Harald-Alex. »
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #454 on: September 22, 2018, 04:26:31 PM »
Butterflies have B&B in the flowers!
Our flower-meadow with the second and third flowers is visited by many butterflies and other insects.

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #455 on: September 22, 2018, 04:34:28 PM »
Another foto of hornets, seriosly damaging the bark of Fraxinus trees:

ruweiss

« Reply #456 on: September 22, 2018, 09:20:14 PM »
Harald-Alex, it is the very first time, that I see such a damage
caused by hornets.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Chris Johnson

« Reply #457 on: September 23, 2018, 09:18:42 AM »
Not been on the forum for a while; good to see some fungi.

First is Hygrocybe helobia
Second is an Inocybe (difficult genus)
Third is Lactarius deterrimus False Saffron Milkcap
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

ian mcdonald

« Reply #458 on: September 24, 2018, 12:46:06 PM »
Thanks Chris, good to hear from you again.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #459 on: September 26, 2018, 09:39:08 PM »
Following last Thursdays heavy rain some of the shallow pools are filling up. Today was sunny and warm, after a cold spell. The Autumn colours on the foliage are here now, making the site look more mellow. A new wind turbine has been fitted to the "new" water pump and I have been told that it should now be in working order. Many mallard and teal were resting on a couple of the larger pools. Grey lag geese (about a hundred) were on another pool. Three jays were seen along one of the paths. A few butterflies were also seen including speckled wood, peacock and several whites. A great spotted woodpecker flew into a tree as I passed by. There are still a few swallows and house martins here but they will be leaving soon to their winter sites. A good view was had of a male marsh harrier quartering low down. Groups of pink footed geese are arriving from colder areas. I met one of the local naturalists who visit the site every week. A hornet landed near us as we were having a drink and we gave it an apple core to eat, which it tucked into. Two cranes were seen close to the main track. As we were leaving we flushed two roe deer from among vegetation. Birds seen today were, mallard, teal, reed bunting, grey lag geese, pheasant, crow, jay, robin, willow warbler, pink footed geese, sparrow hawk, great spotted woodpecker, marsh harrier, kestrel, blue tit, moorhen, lapwings, swallows, house martins, buzzard, long tailed tit, wood pigeon, magpie, snipe, meadow pipit, crane, gadwall and either a yellow or grey wagtail. Small frogs were also seen.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:16:37 PM by ian mcdonald »

ian mcdonald

« Reply #460 on: September 26, 2018, 09:42:36 PM »

A Hornet.

Autumn colours.

Pink footed geese.

One of the roe deer we startled.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #461 on: September 26, 2018, 10:01:30 PM »
A new wind turbine has been fitted to the "new" water pump and I have been told that it should now be in working order.

Good news - but I'm not  holding my breath until you've seen that with your own eyes , Ian!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcdonald

« Reply #462 on: September 26, 2018, 10:07:09 PM »
Too right Maggi, the only way we will know if the system works as designed is if we have lots of rain in the coming season. This is the new design turbine as a replacement for the last one which was blown down by the wind. A strange thing.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #463 on: September 28, 2018, 02:23:23 PM »
I keep dipping in and out of this thread, but can't find where Ian says the site is. From his description of the history it sounds like my old stomping ground near Goole (yes, I'm a Goolie) Is it Thorne / Goole Moors?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

ian mcdonald

« Reply #464 on: October 04, 2018, 01:24:31 PM »
Yesterday was dull but not cold. Many mallard and teal were on some of the pools. Also seen were five whooper swans which were up-ending for water plants. I met the two local naturalists again and we talked for a while then went our separate ways. They to see if they could locate deer. There were quite a few meadow pipits skylarks, reed buntings and linnets flying around. On one track was a red deer hind stood watching me. When it sensed I had seen it, it quickly dis-appeared into vegetation. Two jays flew along the track I was on, making their usual alarm call. Pink footed geese were arriving in small groups all day. A small group of lapwings were stood on water covered mud, which a couple of weeks ago was bare peat. I saw a single marsh harrier quartering an area, flushing ducks from the water. In a sheltered area speckled wood butterflies were active. Later I met the two naturalists again and we walked slowly looking at invertebrates. An uncommon sight was two hover-flies copulating (a strange subject for an alpine plant forum)? Dragonflies and Darters were common. At a known area for Cettis Warbler I tried imitating the call but heard nothing in reply but my companions said it did call. Before leaving we waited to see if Short Eared Owl turned up, a winter visitor, but we did not see any.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal