We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald  (Read 127158 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2016, 03:05:24 PM »
Ian,

The first photograph is quite nice. I would not mind taking a hike in such a place.  :)  In one of your past postings it appears that there is still some construction taking place. It must be taking many years to reclaim the land. It also appears that there has been considerable success.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2016, 09:43:57 PM »
Hello Robert, the site contains a variety of habitats, from bog to woods and fen. The work is set to finish at the end of winter, with possible extension for spraying of cleared rhododendron which is sprouting new growth from the stumps. I have been told that it may take three years of treatment to get rid of them. Plastic dams are being installed in strategic drains to raise water levels. We have not had much rainfall this year and some areas were beginning to dry out on the surface. The last few days have been wet and there has been fairly quick recovery already. The project to remove scrub and raise water levels is a three year one, this being the final season. Work stops at the end of March until October, so as not to interfere with the bird nesting season.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2016, 08:05:37 PM »
A cold clear morning with good views img. 1020169. One of the old canals used to move peat from the site img. 1020170. Common cotton-grass in winter colour img. 1020177. Male Hen Harrier, left of centre img. 1020179. Among the birds seen were Hen Harrier, Marsh Harrier, Buzzard, Coal Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Blue Tit, Goldcrest, Pink Footed and Greylag Geese, Gadwall, Goosander, Shoveler, Woodcock, Snipe, Redpoll and Reed Bunting.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 08:12:34 PM by ian mcdonald »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2016, 10:18:39 PM »
A cold clear morning with good views img. 1020169

Super view - great clouds -  a crisp and lovely day!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2016, 07:40:19 AM »
Ian,

I too enjoyed the photographs, especially the first view.

It appears that the land is still healing in a few locations.

It is great to hear that there are so many bird species to see. We finally heard some migrating Sandhill Cranes today.  :)
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2016, 11:21:32 AM »
Hello Robert, the vegetation cover is almost complete but it will be some years before a living bog is restored to previous areas. It is a long term project but at least it now has the opportunity to re-grow, where the past prospect was destruction.

Robert

« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2016, 12:23:20 PM »
Ian,

Surprise of surprises! It turns out that my wife and I have a book on birds of the U.K. in our personal library. It is not complete, however I can follow along with your sightings fairly well.

Right now there is not much bird activity in our Sacramento garden. I saw a Ruby-crowned Kinglet the other day and a Shrub Jay was poking around in the garden as I worked. Tough to photograph such birds! They are pleasant to watch.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2016, 07:03:42 PM »
Robert, I hardly ever get close to birds on the site as there is little cover. The hen harrier was by the road as I left but by the time I had the camera ready it was away. I don,t think we have as big a variety of birds as you have but sometimes we get an unusual visitor. Short eared owls are usually on the site during winter but I have not seen one yet, although there have been sightings by bird watchers. My own garden is fairly quiet during winter.

Tristan_He

« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2016, 08:37:08 AM »
Robert the RSPB website has very good species ID pages for all British birds.

Best, Tristan

Robert

« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »
Robert the RSPB website has very good species ID pages for all British birds.

Best, Tristan

Tristan,

This is great!  8)  This will help fill in the gaps.

Thank you so much.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2016, 07:09:59 PM »
A clear and frosty day with birds keeping mainly to trees and bushes. A new dam goes in img. 1020181. Black headed gull demonstrates skating skills img. 1020187. Bee orchid rosettes ready for next year img. 1020191. A pheasant in a hawthorn bush, maybe after the berries img. 1020192. Goldcrest img. 1020195.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2016, 07:21:29 PM »
Chaffinch poses for picture img. 1020197. A small broad leaved wood img. 1020198. One of a small flock of long tailed tits img. 1020201. A female reed bunting. img. 1020202. The trees are bare now img. 1020204.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2016, 07:28:50 PM »
A path through the reeds img. 1020205. Sunset lights up the scene img. 1020206. Other birds seen include peregrine, water rail, teal, fieldfares, stonechats, wrens, robins and crows.

Robert

« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2016, 04:59:10 AM »
Ian,

It seems odd behavior to see a Pheasant in a tree? When I was a teenager I hunted Ring-neck Pheasants.  :-X  From my understanding they are native to China. Maybe there are different Pheasants in the U.K.?

The female Reed Bunting looks somewhat similar to our Lincoln's Sparrow (juvenile) or our Song Sparrow. You take excellent photographs of those tiny birds! I have been tempted to get a photograph or two of our birds. No luck yet. Today I saw White-crowned Sparrows, Oregon Juncos, Ruffus-sided Towhees, and Brown (California) Towhees. Cooper's Hawks nest in the trees at the farm. They hunt smaller birds, so I was was extremely surprised and startled today when a Red-tailed Hawk came out of the sky to grab a Sparrow. No time for a camera on that one.

Thank you for sharing.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2016, 08:00:27 PM »
Robert, the pheasant was introduced to the UK from Asia. Breeding has produced several colour varieties including the "ring neck" so called due to the white collar. There are also dark varieties, named melanistic, and light varieties called leucistic. Sometimes a green variety is seen and they are referred to as japanese pheasants.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal