ian mcdonald:
Small Copper.

Devils-bit Scabious.

Broad-leaved Ragwort.

Trout.

Field Gentian, Gentianella campestris.

ian mcdonald:
A crime scene? with Sexton Beetle.

Basil Thyme, thought to be the last remaining site in Scotland for this species.

The Moon has been at its closest for some time. This photo, taken last night also shows Venus to the left.

ian mcdonald:
The Moon showing large craters near the rim.

A close-up of Heather, Calluna vulgaris.

Bell Heather, Erica cinerea, has a long flowering season.

I found a patch of white heather along a track.

A Southern Beech, Nothofagus sp. planted by the forestry.

ian mcdonald:
A Red Squirrel showing its claws, four on the front feet and five on the hind feet.

Scotch Argus, a bit faded.

Wood Horsetail growing by the track.

An acrobatic Great Spotted Woodpecker.

There were two on the feeders. Two Jays kept coming to the feeders but were too nervous to stay for a photo. A Raven was heard calling across the small valley. Chaffinchs are common on the feeders as are Coal Tits, Blue Tits and Great Tits. Less common are Crested Tits. Winter visitors to the food include Brambling. Goldcrest pick up fallen food from the ground. Tree Creepers are sometimes seen working their way up from the bottom of the pines then fly to another tree, probing the bark for insects.

ian mcdonald:
A short walk down by the river recently and it seemed that the wildlife is at a quiet period just now. Sand Martins and Swifts were not seen. Warblers have either left or stopped singing. A small beetle I saw may be a Cerial Leaf Beetle. There are several similar species.

A Hoverfly on Bramble may have been a Blotch-winged Hoverfly.

A small patch of Amphibious Bistort was seen in the river.

Growing among rocks by the river are several native Goldenrod, Solidago virgaurea. Not to be confused with the taller garden escapes, Canadian Goldenrod.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version