We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cleaning glasshouses  (Read 2479 times)

suesimpson33

Cleaning glasshouses
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:47:19 AM »
Has anyone out there found a useful way of cleaning very large glasshouses? I have a brush which fixes onto a hose for the outside which works to some extent but how on earth do I reach the inner highest panes of glass (preferably without falling off the ladder!). The centre of the glasshouses has plunge beds which cannot be moved.

Maggie, I see my photo is upside down! Apologies!

548071-0

Edit by maggi - fixed now , Sue!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:18:51 PM by Maggi Young »

Darren

Re: Cleaning glasshouses
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »
I see professional windowcleaners don't use ladders much these days but use hoses with long (telescopic?) poles and brushes on the end - perhaps something to investigate? Something like this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/390309344725?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1006854&poi=&campaignid=620800750&device=c&adgroupid=27378723426&rlsatarget=aud-133395220626%3Apla-181480831746&adtype=pla&crdt=0

I would throw a sheet of polythene over the central plunge whilst working.

Is that a Rhino greenhouse Sue?  We just had one built to replace our old wooden greenhouse. Really delighted with it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:58:50 AM by Darren »
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

suesimpson33

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:56:48 AM »
Hi Darren
Yes we have two 20 x 12 feet Rhinos and have just put up a 20 x 8! Really pleased with them but lots of cleaning too ! Will check out your link, thanks.

SteveC2

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »
Off topic, but I am intrigued by the stone structure at the far end.  Info please!  How is it built and what's it for.

Darren

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 03:24:27 PM »
Looks like a tufa cliff for growing Dionysia and the like.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 04:02:07 PM »
Betterwear and similar companies used to sell telescopic window cleaning aids. No need for ladders. Remember not to break window panes opposite when using long handled appliances.

suesimpson33

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 04:14:49 PM »
Yes you are absolutely right. Inspired by the large tufa wall at Edinburgh Botanics we thought we would try our own. Surprisingly successful with dionysias! We have  a sand sandwich at the back of it with a watering system in place.

Photo upside down again! Why does this happen?
edit by maggi - fixed  now. Seems to be something to do with how the photo was taken  on whatever device in the first place.

548097-0

Edit by maggi - sorry  just realised I replaced the wrong pic - okay now!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:57:53 PM by Maggi Young »

Graeme

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 06:28:27 PM »
it already looks pretty clean and tidy to me :)

thanks for the long shot of the greenhouse it looks amazing

I would have a look at a Karcher Window vac and one of the long pole cleaners - but as it has been pointed out you will need to cover the plants with plastic and you will need a decent step ladder for the window vac
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

suesimpson33

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 06:41:11 PM »
Hopefully this is a shot of the tufa wall

Edit by maggi - sorry  just realised I replaced the wrong pic - okay now here and above!

548099-0
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:58:54 PM by Maggi Young »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 07:13:58 PM »
Sue, what kind of mortar did you use to fix your tufa please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 08:08:09 PM »
Sue,
I admire your tufa wall - would you mind showing the 'sand sandwich' you said it's in the back?
I don't know why your greenhouse needs more cleaning :) but take care with the ladders.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Dave M

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
That is a seriously fantastic greenhouse setup! The tufa wall is brilliant. Also got a Rhino greenhouse, well made and tough as old boots here in a windy Bowland.
Dave Morris, Lune Valley nr. Lancaster UK

suesimpson33

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 09:58:44 PM »
David,  George says he used a lime mortar in the tufa wall. I will post a photo of the sand sandwich with watering system in the morning.
Photo is of third brand new Rhino waiting for benches to arrive and second Rhino without tufa wall
548109-0

548129-1
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:24:42 AM by Maggi Young »

Darren

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 08:26:44 AM »
Looks great Sue, love the tufa cliff.

Your new Rhino has a similar distribution of vents as ours (high and low) and I think I can see that you also have gone for the optional roller shade blinds as well.

Here is ours a month ago, just a few weeks after construction.

It is so nice to work in there on wet days - I won't miss the leaks from the ridge of the old Alton one dripping on my head!

suesimpson33

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 08:49:04 AM »
Hi Darren
Really interesting to see what others have done with their glasshouses. Is the bubble wrap to protect particular areas from the sun? Yes we have roller blinds on the top and on one side of each glasshouse. We have 3 fans running constantly in two of them at the moment though in this damp part of Scotland I am not sure it makes much difference! The latest house is in a sunnier part of the garden so at the moment I think it will be used for bulbs in the winter and spring, followed by (and don't cringe!) my pelargonium collection in the summer!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal