We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: "When you're happy sing. When you're sad sing even louder" (Irish Proverb)  (Read 1913 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Just arriving towards the end of a spell of poor form health-wise, nothing serious, but a few colds, aches and pains which seemed to drag on forever and if they don't clear up quickly they quite drag you down. So I haven't been up to the garden or the greenhouse for a spell but have really been putting in some time with the music collection.

I've got a number of 'favourite' songs from all kinds of genres but one from a Country background, it was written by Willie Nelson, is a particular favourite. It's called "Angels Flying too Close to the Ground" and I've tried to collect every version of the song I can find. I found a version the other day that was new to me on You Tube. It was by a Band I hadn't heard of before The John Wright Band and as I researched further I found that John Wright died at age 60 as a result of a fatal stroke https://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/mar/27/obituaries.mainsection

When I listened to the track I do remember wiping the odd tear (but I'm like that with music sometimes!) Have a listen and see if it affects you as well.

"Music should be something that makes you gotta move, inside or outside"  Elvis Presley

"There is no complete spiritual life without music, for the human soul has regions which can be illuminated only by music" Zolton Kodaly

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Those Irish know a thing or two, don't they?  Nothing like a good song that brings one to tears to help  clear a bit of misery from the system. Or even to bring one back to earth. Heck, music is good, simple as!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
before some days I have heard this words from Paul McCartney :

"Music is a vehicle for sadness - but also for pleasure. And if it is possible to bring together both extremes, it creates magic."

8)
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

cycnich

• Mister 1000
Good music David. One of those tracks that can be interpreted in many different ways to suit your own circumstances. I live in a time warp as far as music is concerned,  presley, cash,orbison,Pitney, Springfield and many more and I am happy there so leave me alone and stick the X factor where the sun don't shine 
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

angie

The only time that I really listen to music and sing is in my car, keeps me calm and happy and I need it driving in our streets nowadays.

David glad to hear you are feeling better.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
What a lovely voice John Wright had. Sad that he's now lost to the musical world, but lives on in t'internet.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
What a lovely voice John Wright had. Sad that he's now lost to the musical world, but lives on in t'internet.

Yes Matt he really had a beautiful voice.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
Hi all ,

Yesterday in our news was a small report about a young polish lady which playes a wonderful bass :
Tears in Heaven - this Lady  is 20 years old  :o

Have fun

Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

TC

• Roving Reporter
David
Try this guitar duo.  This is the kind of music I like playing.

http://acousticguitar.com/acoustic-guitar-sessions-presents-geoff-muldaur-jim-kweskin-video/
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
David
Try this guitar duo.  This is the kind of music I like playing.

http://acousticguitar.com/acoustic-guitar-sessions-presents-geoff-muldaur-jim-kweskin-video/

Nice link Tom - hope you had a happy and very musical birthday!  M x
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Thanks for the Link Hans, some nice bass work there. My two favourite bass players, both of whom have supported Clapton regularly in the past, Willie Weeks and Nathan East.

Thanks too for your Link too Tom, I ejoyed that. My problem is that I picked up my first guitar when I was 70 and the old fingers aren't as supple as they used to be. The other problem is lack of practice!!

Happy Birthday Tom.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal