We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Planning threat to famous Lincolnshire Nursery  (Read 2048 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Planning threat to famous Lincolnshire Nursery
« on: December 06, 2016, 04:34:04 PM »

From Rob Potterton  http://www.pottertons.co.uk/pott/index.php

We have a serious threat to the nursery. Our new farmer neighbours have submitted a planning application for an enormous shed to house a 32,000 free range egg producing chicken farm just 100 metres from our boundary (see image). We are extremely worried that the noise & emitted odour will severely threaten our business & livelihood.
  The nursery is unique to Lincolnshire and one of the few of its kind in UK & Europe. It offers a range of 1200 varieties of alpines, bulbs and woodland plants whilst also offering visitors the opportunity to walk around our peaceful, tranquil 5 acre botanical garden.
  The application number is 135476.
  Objections & full details can be found online, by visiting http://docs.west-lindsey.gov.uk/WAM/showCaseFile.do?appName=planning&appNumber=135476 and following the link "Comment on Application". Objections must be received by 23 December.

Just imagine what impact a chicken farm could have for visitors hoping to enjoy a visit around a display garden and plant nursery. Potterton's have been in business for 45 years  and are world-renowned - if you 'd like to help, then please follow the links to the council planning dept. COMMENT page to make your feelings known. I've written my objection to the proposal.     Maggi
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
Re: Planning threat to famous Lincolnshire Nursery
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 05:18:56 PM »
What a worrying development for Bob. I have made an objection following the link Maggi gave - it's a very easy process so I do encourage you to do the same if you want to help.

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 06:41:25 PM »
Done.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 06:55:46 PM »
I don't know whether it is allowed for foreigners to object but I have done it!

Does this kind of action help? Or is it just a play to the gallery? (I mean, do the authorities take notice?)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 07:08:29 PM »
We can but hope they do, Trond.  It cannot hurt to point out the damage  possible to a long established  local business which has a fine reputation around the UK and beyond, which brings  goodwill to the county.

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 07:57:53 PM »
Done
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

ian mcdonald

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 08:17:38 PM »
Comments sent.

Cfred72

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 08:32:10 PM »
It is also done, I asked if it is necessary to develop a new breeding of poultry (one more) by stifling an internationally renowned nursery. I also said that chickens are not endangered ... alpine plants grown there well.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:35:32 PM by Cfred72 »
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

SteveC2

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 08:38:23 PM »
Chicken farms seem to be a booming business in the county, which I suppose is no bad thing when they are correctly situated.  We have one about half a mile to the south of town and it has a choice aroma when they clean out the huts.  But recent plans to build one right next to Leasingham village seem to have been scrapped after local outcry, though I emphasise local.

Darren

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 09:24:26 PM »
Many years ago I was involved in research into effects on plants of excessive deposition of nitrogen (especially ammonium) downwind of intensive chicken and pig farms. There is almost certainly a lot of scientific literature that could be cited to demonstrate there is a direct threat to the nursery stock and therefore the business. This might be a more tangible approach to take rather than non quantifiable threats such as noise and aroma putting off customers. I can dig out some papers to send if it helps.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 09:26:25 PM »
I am sure that would be helpful, Darren and that Rob ad Jackie will be most grateful -  thank you.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 05:27:43 AM »
Not long ago I was a full time farmer in the U.S.A.  Similar issues such as the chicken farm came up all of the time. It may seem hard to believe, but our permitting authorities were generally very level headed and would not permit a high density egg farm next to such a nursery. I attended some of those meetings and it does help to have as much help in your favor as possible. I personally lobbied the irrigation district on several occasions and the local newspaper came out to the farm and gave me an interview - front page story. This sort of stuff works. "The squeaky wheel gets the attention". If the egg farm promoters have deep pockets, I can also tell you that David sometimes defeats Goliath. I certainly hope that there is a favorable outcome to all of this.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »
Done, and I managed to keep my language in check.  Chickens indeed.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 08:22:39 PM »
Sadly, planning permission for the chicken sheds has been given.  We can only hope that the impact on Potterton's nursery will not be a detrimental as feared.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal