We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendrons 2016  (Read 53168 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Rhododendrons 2016
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2016, 10:14:47 PM »
This week along the Atlantic coast every ditch, bog, edge of woodland and roadside is covered in Rhodora in flower.  As you land at the aiport you do so over bogs ablaze with it as well.  Rhododendron canadense.

john - +16c & sunny

Very nice!

I once tried one in my garden but it died from unknown resons :(
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2016, 10:25:06 PM »
Scores of rhododendrons are still alive though and in flower.

Here are 3

537316-0537318-1537320-2
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 10:34:19 PM by Hoy »

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2016, 10:32:11 PM »
Does anyone know of a source of Rhododendron tomentosum and Rhododendron groenlandicum in the UK/EEC?

Try Glendoick or Ardfearn.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2016, 10:34:22 PM »
Very nice! I once tried one in my garden but it died from unknown resons :(

To move them here we dig, re-plant and then immediately cut them back to about 7-10cm from the ground.

john

Hoy

« Reply #169 on: June 02, 2016, 09:29:56 PM »
Not easy to dig them here! They are rarely offered in nurseries so I have to import from abroad. Maybe seed is an option.

johnw

« Reply #170 on: June 02, 2016, 10:13:08 PM »
Trond - If you remind me in late September I can send seed of the white and coloured.  They grow very quickly.

john

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2016, 10:41:43 PM »
Very impressive, John !  :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hoy

« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2016, 07:59:39 PM »
Trond - If you remind me in late September I can send seed of the white and coloured.  They grow very quickly.

john

Thanks John. I'll write it down in tha calendar!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2016, 08:21:45 PM »
A lost label Rhododendron. Trouble is it has been in a congested bed and all the flowers and leaves are at the very top of the quite bare and straggley stems. After flowering has finished the bed will be sorted but this Rhododendron was a present from Maureen's late Mum and we want to keep it. What would be the best method of treating the plant please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2016, 09:51:11 PM »
All so beautiful!!!

and John - I would schedule a visit to the east coast just to catch the R. canadense in flower!

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2016, 09:53:14 PM »
AArgh! Wrote long reply to David and it has disappeared. Drat. Will try to remember what I wrote and try again!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2016, 10:17:53 PM »
A lost label Rhododendron. Trouble is it has been in a congested bed and all the flowers and leaves are at the very top of the quite bare and straggley stems. After flowering has finished the bed will be sorted but this Rhododendron was a present from Maureen's late Mum and we want to keep it. What would be the best method of treating the plant please?

Pretty flowers, David - tho' I don't know what it might be.

Most rhodos are very obliging in their willingness to regrow when cut back - but some are not - so for a precious plant like this it is wise to take a cautious approach.

Cut back, to around 20cms from the ground, a couple of the branches that are most spoiling the shape. Be careful not to cut below any graft that the plant may have - but 20cms  should be high enough to avoid that problem.

In a few weeks, couple of months anyway, you should see the start of new growth from dormant buds on the stumps.  Depending how  vigorous that growth looks to be, you might feel brave enough to  cut back a few more stems at that time.

If you have a straggly or oversized plant that you are not terribly worried about then you could cut it all back at once.  I wouldn't, on a precious plant, cut it all back at once even if new growth does seem to be breaking well. Leaving some stems with top growth can help to pull sap up the plant to encourage the dormant buds to break, I think - but - leaving too much if  buds are breaking well might mean there is less "incentive" for the new growths to expand.

A plant cut back in this way can either be left in situ - where you will be able to manage it in future  within  bounds of shape and size by judicious pruning - or make it easier to lift and move to a new position where it can regrow without restriction.  I'd get it growing well after cutting back before I tried moving it though - no point in abusing the poor thing more than is absolutely necessary!

Hope this helps!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2016, 10:35:02 PM »
What a lovely cool spring it is here, the rhodos are lasting forever.  Hard to believe the last few R, thomsonii flowers dropped yesterday as they've been out since mid-April.  Temps on the coast here are 12c and the same for tomorrow, a tad dry; north of here low-lying spots inland had a touch of frost Wednesday night!

Rhododendron 'Charme-La'

Rhododendron 'Teddy Bear'

Rhododendron 'Bridal Bouquet'

Rhododendron maculiferum

Rhododendron 'Sundust'

john

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #178 on: June 04, 2016, 09:43:12 AM »
Pretty flowers, David - tho' I don't know what it might be.

Most rhodos are very obliging in their willingness to regrow when cut back - but some are not - so for a precious plant like this it is wise to take a cautious approach.

Cut back, to around 20cms from the ground, a couple of the branches that are most spoiling the shape. Be careful not to cut below any graft that the plant may have - but 20cms  should be high enough to avoid that problem.

In a few weeks, couple of months anyway, you should see the start of new growth from dormant buds on the stumps.  Depending how  vigorous that growth looks to be, you might feel brave enough to  cut back a few more stems at that time.

If you have a straggly or oversized plant that you are not terribly worried about then you could cut it all back at once.  I wouldn't, on a precious plant, cut it all back at once even if new growth does seem to be breaking well. Leaving some stems with top growth can help to pull sap up the plant to encourage the dormant buds to break, I think - but - leaving too much if  buds are breaking well might mean there is less "incentive" for the new growths to expand.

A plant cut back in this way can either be left in situ - where you will be able to manage it in future  within  bounds of shape and size by judicious pruning - or make it easier to lift and move to a new position where it can regrow without restriction.  I'd get it growing well after cutting back before I tried moving it though - no point in abusing the poor thing more than is absolutely necessary!

Hope this helps!

Cheers for that Maggi, very useful, we'll give that a try.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2016, 10:09:10 PM »
Rhododendrons for new growth & flowers today:

1-2 Rhododendron phaeochrysum var. phaeochrysum Jesper / Nielsen

3 Rhododendron pseudochrysanthum x R. proteoides

4-5 Rhododendron trichostomum Birck selection

john - +13c & finally sunny after 2:30pm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal