We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendrons 2016  (Read 52928 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Rhododendrons 2016
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2016, 06:03:36 PM »
Now I see these pix I don't think Chikor either.  Foliage is far too good! With the close-ups I agree with John - 'Chiffchaff'- and very nice too.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tristan_He

« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2016, 07:33:31 PM »
Thanks both, that looks a good match to me. There is also no spotting inside the flowers which seems to match Chiffchaff better than the others, based on a search engine image search at least.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2016, 11:50:22 AM »
Rhododendron 'Curlew', R. Bow Bells', R. yakushimanum 'Percy Wiseman', R. yakushimanum 'Golden Torch', R. yakushimanum 'Silver Sixpence'.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:53:59 AM by johnralphcarpenter »
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2016, 11:53:40 AM »
Rhododendron 'Egret', R. 'Persil', R. niveum.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2016, 04:34:34 PM »
Fresh from the RSBG via friends in British Columbia and in this morning's post.

Rhododendron platypodum and R. yuefengense, rather generous seedlings I'd say.  Eight days in transit and not a blemish.

john
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 05:51:50 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2016, 04:58:58 PM »
In transit eight days?  My word, they were well-packed.  The platypodum is a very pleasantly plump baby!

johnw

« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2016, 05:43:34 PM »
In transit eight days?  My word, they were well-packed.  The platypodum is a very pleasantly plump baby!

Well packed indeed.  Egg crates on the bottom & top of the box's interior, a layer of styrofoam peanuts. Pots had wet newspaper over the roots ball and this was taped in place so the ball couldn't dislodge in transit.  Then a stout bamboo culm was poked vertically into each pot right to the bottom, this culm was then cut to the exact width of the box and the plants placed horizontally in the box; the culm prevented pot movement within the box. For fear of the culm poking through the box I see they placed 2 wooden shingles on either end of the box to prevent puncturing by the bamboo on one end and dampness soften the cardboard on the opposite end. Then all voides filled to the brim with more styro peanuts. 

It truly was a work of art, and must confess that friends asked for packing instructions and I gave them Ken's method though they cleverly foresaw the possible puncturing/wetting problem.  I must say I was stunned the flowers were intact. And we haven't even mentioned the journey from Federal Way, Wa. to N. Vancouver, BC - another 170 miles.

Canada Post by truck = approx. 7.5 days / 3823.64 miles / 6,153.55km   Cost = £16.72  Maddening how big this country is.

Now to re-pot.

johnw - +9c & intermittent showers.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 05:54:10 PM by johnw »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2016, 07:22:25 PM »
Lovely collection Ralph.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Philip Walker

« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2016, 12:34:24 PM »
Rhododendron 'Curlew'

Tristan_He

« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2016, 10:49:03 PM »
534816-0

Rhododendron sargentianum, yellow form.

534818-1

Various rhodys in the back garden. They were there when I moved here so I don't know what most of them are, though the yellow one is presumably straight R. luteum (wonderful scent) and there is a yakushimanum hybrid in there too. There is a 'Winsome' at the back which I think is my favourite.

534820-2

534822-3

I like this big red one too, even though I'm not generally a fan of the taller rhododendrons (I like the occasional one but find them gloomy and oppressive massed, as they often are). I expect Maggi will tell me what it is  ;D

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2016, 03:34:05 AM »

Canada Post by truck = approx. 7.5 days / 3823.64 miles / 6,153.55km   Cost = £16.72  Maddening how big this country is.

Amazing!  I just sent an envelope of seeds to Alberta, which cost me $16.  You got a super good deal.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2016, 03:39:59 AM »
I've just come in from deadheading.  I feel like a bee - my clothes and hair covered in pollen
and stamens, which I'm having to pick off one by one.  It must be just this one plant, as I
don't recall this ever happening before.  I have only done about an eighth of it.  Now, how can
I finish the job without getting covered again?  Now, a big windstorm might clear the stamens.

Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2016, 12:06:29 PM »

I like this big red one too, even though I'm not generally a fan of the taller rhododendrons (I like the occasional one but find them gloomy and oppressive massed, as they often are). I expect Maggi will tell me what it is  ;D
Haven't a scooby-doo, Tristan!  Probably one of the older hybrids such as 'Michael Waterer' or 'Wilgen's Ruby'.... :-\  Smart plant, whatever.

johnw

« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2016, 01:47:19 PM »
Amazing!  I just sent an envelope of seeds to Alberta, which cost me $16.  You got a super good deal.

Small business rate, though wish the book rate was back again.  UK books are so costly I now have them sent to Dorsett for boarding on the QM2 in Sept and they come directly to Halifax, should be getting my friend to take cast iron gates as no limits by weight or volume. ;)

john

johnw

« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2016, 04:51:52 PM »
For those too cold for R. augustinii here is an option and it's very cold hardy, R. 'Azuray'.  It along with its sister seedling 'Bluenose' are hardy well below -25c so I'm told, they just need very sharp drainage.  'Azuray' in a good year can be a clear powder blue; here in a friend's/lurker's garden yesterday.

john

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal