We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 20/2/08  (Read 5906 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Bulb Log 20/2/08
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 11:53:06 PM »
See? It works! :D Don't worry about mis-spelling my name. You aren't the first - or the fiftieth - to do that. I answer to most things but just don't call me early in the morning. :D

If you want to change your post, go to "modify" in the top right corner of your own post. But you know that already.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 11:58:04 PM »
Re P and J-B, I do agree but what else is there, except the wildly out-of-date Christobel Beck, though hers is much more authoritative. Some time ago I started what I'm calling my "Frit File," a collection of every reference I can find including photos, from AGS Bulletins, SRGC Journals and anywhere they appear. I get entirely bogged down after a while and leave it for months before going back. Even now there are hundreds of pages and pics and I expect it will be buried with me, still unfinished.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 09:28:12 AM »
I answer to most things but just don't call me early in the morning. :D

Last week I rang a friend on her mobile and a sleepy voice answered - it turned out she was in New Zealand and it was 5.30am there - ooops! Am now waiting for the phone bill to arrive..
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 10:29:55 AM »
Lesley, Keep pollinating your F. alburyana every day even as the flower fades as you can get a seed set from a single plant - I did.

As for alburyana producing numerous bulblets - I wish. When it is growing well it will produce a single or very occasionally two small bulbs.
Any book that promotes Frits is good but I disagree with many points in Pratt & Jefferson Brown.

I have never managed to grow F pudica out side for any length of time but because of the generous production of rice grains I will keep trying and one day I may just hit the right spot - as for the weather.

Anne, I have no idea what the parentage of 'Joan Stead' may be butt would guess cantabricus and romieuxii must both be involved. I don't normally like split coronas but this one suits it and has a charm all of its own.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Gerry Webster

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 10:53:17 AM »
Re P and J-B, I do agree but what else is there, except the wildly out-of-date Christobel Beck, though hers is much more authoritative.

Well, there is nothing as far as I am aware. I'm still hoping I'll live long enough to see Martyn Rix's  book - somewhat overdue now. Meanwhile, like you, I have compiled my own 'Frit File'.

I've just remembered. David King has a  chapter on N American frits in 'Bulbs of North America' (ed. Jane McGary, Timber Press, 2001). As far as I can judge, this is authoritative
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 11:12:36 AM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 04:39:37 PM »
In the wild alburyana produces masses of rice grains.They are scattered all over the ground where animals have been digging.Looking like little pearls. In cultivation mine just get smaller by the year until they are dead. Re disagreeing with P and J-B on many points is an understatment  but in this case certainly as far as the wild is concerned they are correct.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 04:51:28 PM »
We can only speak about our experience with the F. alburyana in cultivation..... seeing it in the wild would be a wonderful thing.
 Odd though, that it does produce rice in the wild, while not in cultivation... given that this is usually a reaction to improve survival under stress, you'd think that it would be making rice grains as if there were no tomoorrow in our pots!
A thought:  Any chance of another species close by being responsible for this "casting of pearls"?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 04:54:48 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 11:59:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice Ian. I'll do that, religiously, when (if) it flowers next August.

Tony, your comments have reminded me of something that had quite slipped my (fragile) memory. Back in 1966 when F. alburyana was first discovered, I had a small share in the ACW expedition which colllected it. As part of my share, I received 8 ricegrain sized bulblets of this gorgeous frit. By the time customs (in those days) had had their wicked way with them, they were shrivelled and in any case had to turn their season around for the southern hemisphere, so in the event, none survived. But they were, indubitably, very small bulblets, collected from the type site, the type collection in fact. So yes, you - and P and J-B - are right there, and I apologise to them.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal