We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 20/2/08  (Read 5905 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Bulb Log 20/2/08
« on: February 20, 2008, 11:14:33 PM »
You're right Maggi, an ACE picture (and I don't mean expeditions to China) ;) We need Ian on theTourist Board I think.

The whole edition of the Log is excellent - as always - and I'm particularly pleased to see the pic of Cr. bif. alexandri because the bluest one looks just like mine, which I had originally as aerius, then was told it was bif. pulchricolor. Thomas has TOLD me it's bif. alexandri and I believe every word he says - yes really - but my other bif. alexandri is so different as are all those I've seen or seen in pics, like the one on the crocus thread recently. snowy white with almost black, cleanly marked patches on the outer petals, so Ian's one is re-assuring.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Bulb Log 20/2/08
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 11:28:29 PM »
I can't remember off hand what the source of the seed for the Crocus biflorus alexandri was, I will check tomorrow.... they show charming variation, don't they? 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:36:43 AM »
Great log once more !  :D

I wonder, would Frit. pudica survive outdoors over here ??  ???
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:45:18 AM »
I have to agree, a super bulb log.  Wednesdays see me trying the url to see when it is uploaded, I can get quite worried towards the afternoon ::)

By happy coincidence last night we had an interesting talk of Turkey by Robert Unwin of the RBGE, there were some super photos in his presentation of Fritillaria alburyana in its type locality - in late May I believe.  Such a pleasure to have a young man on the lecture circuit, third generation horticulturalist and enthusing about the plants.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 10:01:58 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement - not that I need it when it comes to spreading the pleasure of bulbs.
First a confession: perhaps because of Jet Lag? a Senior moment? no just plain stupidity! I miss-named Crocus biflorus ssp nubigena as  ssp melantherus which is ofcourse the autumn flowering one with black anthers. Thanks to Thomas H. for keeping me on my toes.

Leslie I would welcome the chance to work for the NZ Tourist Board - I would love to be out there with plenty of time to spend taking photographs. When you are on your first trip and want to cram in as much as possible you do not always get the best pictures - I like to absorb the atmosphere for some time and then try and capture it.

Luc Frit pudic makes plenty of rice grains so it is easy to come by and well worth trying - let me know if you would like some rice in the summer.

Robert Unwin is a very enthusiastic and capable young plantsman and it is a delight to see him getting around and lecturing - we should all encourage the young.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Gerry Webster

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »
Luc asks whether F. pudica would survive outdoors in Belgium (sorry I haven't yet learned how to quote).
I grew F. pudica ( a small flowered form) outdoors here in the S of England for 7 or 8 years & it flowered regularly before eventually disappearing like all my outdoor frits. So, it's worth a try. A  superior form with larger flowers ('Richard Britten') lasted only 2 years.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 06:50:25 PM »
Thanks Ian - I'll keep the rice in mind when the moment comes  ;)

Gerry, thanks for the positive comment - I'll have to give them a try.  Any idea as to why you lost your outdoor Frits ?  Did you loose them all at the same time ?  ???
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerry Webster

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 07:01:39 PM »
Luc - no,  they were lost over 4 or 5 years. Strangely the first to go was F. pyrenaica - supposedly a good garden plant. This was in a border with an enormous ivy which I think kept the ground dry in  summer but also provided a good home to snails. So, I removed it & the frit disappeared. Next to go was F. thunbergii (F. verticillata hort.) planted in the roots of a Magnolia. I cannot explain why this died out; it seemed to be thriving & increasing. Curiously, F. pudica lasted the longest.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 07:04:28 PM »
Well that's good news Gerry - enough to make me have a go at it ! ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 07:34:51 PM »
Gorgeous narcissi - Joan Stead is particularly interesting - do you know the parents that gave it the deep lobing? Your first form of asturiensis looks almost as if it has some cyclamineus blood in it, it's very elegant.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 09:07:03 PM »
Gerry, quoting a previous posting is very easy. Look at the top right hand corner of each post and you'll see a little square box with the word "Quote" beside it. Click the word and the "reply" box will appear with the quote at the top of it. From there, by highlighting and deleting if necessary, you can keep just those parts of the post which are relevant to what you want to say.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 09:10:32 PM »
Fritillaria pudica is quite hardy here, even in our beastly winter of 2006. And yes, masses of rice but I find these very slow - for ever  :'( - to grow on to flowering size. But I haven't fed them so I suppose I should do that before moaning about it. Removing the larger bulbs hasn't helped either, which it sometimes does, with prolific rice-makers.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 09:16:02 PM »
Also meant to ask about my single bulb from seed, of F. alburyana and what I can do to encourage it to split or increase by making even a single tiny little baby? In the Pratt and Jefferson-Brown book on page 81 (soft cover edition) it says ".... forming a rounded bulb with numerous bulblets." Surely that is not right? Mine has flowered the last 4 years from a seed sown in 2001, but no sniff of any increase.

45956-0
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 09:19:27 PM by Lesley Cox »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 10:15:47 PM »
Gerry, quoting a previous posting is very easy. Look at the top right hand corner of each post and you'll see a little square box with the word "Quote" beside it. Click the word and the "reply" box will appear with the quote at the top of it. From there, by highlighting and deleting if necessary, you can keep just those parts of the post which are relevant to what you want to say.

Thanks Leslie. Here goes.
May I suggest that you dispose of  the book on Frits by Pratt & Jefferson Brown. It is not the most reliable of sources.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 10:18:52 PM »
Oh Dear! My apologies Lesley (I have a cousin called Leslie in NZ)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal